V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC
May 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #121 of 710
I was only playing devil's advocate in my last post. I am a firm believer in "source first" and "garbage in garbage out." That's why I said "The addition of a quality DAC could make all the difference." I was not just talking about a standard USB DAC like in the Fiio, but the digital decoding of Appletalk as well, which I've been waiting for since I got my first portable headphone amp many moons ago. So yes, I anticipate the VAMP will tromp either of those $100 products.

However, when we talk about products online that we've never really heard before we lose track of the ultimate truth that "the proof of the pudding is in the eating." No matter what should theoretically sound better, if the VAMP doesn't sound better than the products without AppleDACs it's not worth it. That's why market research is necessary. Not to copy other people's products, but to make sure you BURY THEM and make the best product you can. The truth is, I'm confident that the VAMP will sound awesome and live up to its price tag. But we need to remember that more expensive is not ALWAYS better. And if I could find those products by googling "iphone case headphone amplifier" any product developer should be able to as well. Val is a rebel, and I totally respect that. That doesn't mean market research is unnecessary.

If my posts seem like I'm flaming the VAMP, VMODA, or Val, that is not the case. I love the M-80s, I loved the VAMP when I heard it, and (without coming on too strong) I love Val! But I'm a critical thinker and listener, and I have to play devil's advocate sometimes.

As to how I won the VAMP: raffle at a head-fi meet in Los Angeles. (actually, it was at the afterparty at Val's Beverly Hills mansion) I am indeed very lucky and very grateful.

May 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #122 of 710
I was only playing devil's advocate in my last post. I am a firm believer in "source first" and "garbage in garbage out." That's why I said "The addition of a quality DAC could make all the difference." I was not just talking about a standard USB DAC like in the Fiio, but the digital decoding of Appletalk as well, which I've been waiting for since I got my first portable headphone amp many moons ago. So yes, I anticipate the VAMP will tromp either of those $100 products.

However, when we talk about products online that we've never really heard before we lose track of the ultimate truth that "the proof of the pudding is in the eating." No matter what should theoretically sound better, if the VAMP doesn't sound better than the products without AppleDACs it's not worth it. That's why market research is necessary. Not to copy other people's products, but to make sure you BURY THEM and make the best product you can. The truth is, I'm confident that the VAMP will sound awesome and live up to its price tag. But we need to remember that more expensive is not ALWAYS better. And if I could find those products by googling "iphone case headphone amplifier" any product developer should be able to as well. Val is a rebel, and I totally respect that. That doesn't mean market research is unnecessary.

If my posts seem like I'm flaming the VAMP, VMODA, or Val, that is not the case. I love the M-80s, I loved the VAMP when I heard it, and (without coming on too strong) I love Val! But I'm a critical thinker and listener, and I have to play devil's advocate sometimes.

As to how I won the VAMP: raffle at a head-fi meet in Los Angeles. (actually, it was at the afterparty at Val's Beverly Hills mansion) I am indeed very lucky and very grateful.

without a doubt, I consider myself a "positive skeptic" and I have adopted a famous quote as one of my virtues.

"TRUST BUT VERIFY"- RONALD REAGAN

May 5, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #123 of 710
Quote:

snip

Congrats on winning! And have a look on the second page I think, I did a big post playing devils advocate aswell.
And I am very sure it will stomp the hell out of any $100 product.

May 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #124 of 710
Quote:
So you're saying VAMP is not only intended for use with iPhone, it actually snaps into an iPhone into one portable gear?

Even if the VAmp is designed only for the iPhone 4/4S, you can use one of these cables to use it with any iDevice  :-

Quote:
I was at the L.A meet, and i really wish i played around with the VAMP more. I did an A/B comparison with the iPhone 4 internal dac/amp vs. the VAMP, and my initial impressions was that it was really difficult for me to tell the difference in sound quality. My brother and i talked about the vamp and we both didn't hear the difference. To be fair, it was really noisy so analytical listening was pretty much out of the question. I was surrounded by people talking really loud, then i had my brother next to me snapping off photos. lol.  [snip!]

What headphones were you using when doing the comparison? I think some headphones benefit more than others from a DAC/Amp. Did you try the AD8397 version or the OPA1612 version?

May 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #125 of 710
Quote:

Even if the VAmp is designed only for the iPhone 4/4S, you can use one of these cables to use it with any iDevice  :-

What headphones were you using when doing the comparison? I think some headphones benefit more than others from a DAC/Amp. Did you try the AD8397 version or the OPA1612 version?

BOTH AD8397 + OPA1612, OPA1612 seems to be the winner for its overall virtues, which includes more than just sound.  MASS PRODUCTION STARTING!

May 9, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #127 of 710
May 9, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #128 of 710
I just saw some sexy product shots on a French Android forum, of all things. Did those come from you? A leak maybe? If not, can you post them here please? This thread does have PICS in the title, after all! My excitement grows daily.

May 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #129 of 710
Ok seriously this still has me

Quote:

Its a binary number, I am thinking its a 1mb buffer? or 1024 band EQ?

or 1024 dalmations rawr...... I really dont know, and I have a feeling I am going to kick myself

May 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #131 of 710
Quote:
Oh my god, how am I going to feed all of those puppies? My apartment allows dogs, but I'm pretty sure my landlord would get pissed if I brought home 1024 of them.

ill feed my neighbours to them... Oh wait the... nvm cant post that.

May 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #133 of 710
May 10, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #134 of 710
VVV-rated.  Just finished writing the manual, sorry it is complicated.  BUT, GREAT NEWS - WE'RE IN MASS PRODUCTION NOW.  

This manual was a B!+c4 to write and draw... it doesn't seem like it'd be that complicated, but it is!

PS - who uses a jailbroken iPhone here?  going to test tomorrow, not sure if it works w/30-pin hardware?

May 10, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #135 of 710
Quote:
VVV-rated.  Just finished writing the manual, sorry it is complicated.  BUT, GREAT NEWS - WE'RE IN MASS PRODUCTION NOW.  

This manual was a B!+c4 to write and draw... it doesn't seem like it'd be that complicated, but it is!

PS - who uses a jailbroken iPhone here?  going to test tomorrow, not sure if it works w/30-pin hardware?

Sounds good Val, still pondering about the 1024 dalmations. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back