V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC
Dec 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #541 of 710
Quote:
Yeah I am pissed on the price too, as I did paid $600 for it on Amazon than they just drop the price like the day after.

On the positive side, this could be good news for Verza pricing. I will be deciding between this, FiiO E12 or JDS Labs C421.  I understand they have different features, but I am not sure how much of an audible difference the DAC in Verza will have with my Iphone and M-100.  Also, I rarely listen to headphones through my computer as I am content with my HK Soundsticks there.

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #542 of 710
Quote:
On the positive side, this could be good news for Verza pricing. I will be deciding between this, FiiO E12 or JDS Labs C421.  I understand they have different features, but I am not sure how much of an audible difference the DAC in Verza will have with my Iphone and M-100.  Also, I rarely listen to headphones through my computer as I am content with my HK Soundsticks there.

Straight from the iPhone with volume at 1 click under 50%, I did notice that the M-100 had a lower volume (about -20%) compare to my UE900, so I think with the Verza or the VAMP the M-100 should sound better.  Too bad I can't test it yet as my VAMP is still with V-moda (please hurry up...).

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #543 of 710
I wasn't thinking about Vamp until I saw it on Amazon for about $450 and I have a 10% Amazon coupon, so I could buy Vamp new for $400 and am giving this serious consideration.

Are the differences between the sonic performance of the GoDap 4/Vamp and GoDap X/Verza subtle or significant based on published stats?

What differences do some of you who own Vamp hear through Vamp vs. Iphone 4?

How does Vamp compare as a portable amp to the JDS Labs C421 or Headstage Arrow?

Is there a cable that could connect Vamp to Iphone 5 in the future (understanding they won't fit together) ? 

I own M-100s and have Velodyne VTrue on the way.  I may also be using with AKG Tiesto K267 and Ultrasone Signature DJs in the future.  (Wouldn't keep all of those, just M-100s plus one of the other three, but this provides an idea of my ideal sound signature)

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #544 of 710
Quote:
I wasn't thinking about Vamp until I saw it on Amazon for about $450 and I have a 10% Amazon coupon, so I could buy Vamp new for $400 and am giving this serious consideration.

Are the differences between the sonic performance of the GoDap 4/Vamp and GoDap X/Verza subtle or significant based on published stats?

How does Vamp compare as a portable amp to the JDS Labs C421 or Headstage Arrow?

Is there a cable that could connect Vamp to Iphone 5 in the future (understanding they won't fit together) ? 

I own M-100s and have Velodyne VTrue on the way.  I may also be using with AKG Tiesto K267 and Ultrasone Signature DJs in the future.  (Wouldn't keep all of those, just M-100s plus one of the other three)

I can answer Q2 and 4 for you.  The internal iPhone 4/4S DAC is good enough for most, but if you listen closely, you can tell that the staging for the mids slightly backwards or weak.  With the VAMP, especially with VQ on, the sound will be much more even.  This will be specially true in case for the M-100, as I just tested this and the over all response for the M-100 straight from my iPhone 4S is a bit weak, and I have to turn the volume above 50% to get decent volume.  This maybe a problem to some as you will be in danger of getting distortion if you have to boost your volume too high.

The iPhone 5 and iPad mini uses the new 8 pin Lightning connector vs. the old 30 pins version, and this is why the default design for the VAMP won't work with the iPhone 5.  However, with the addition of the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (0.2 m), your iPhone 5 should work with the VAMP, but you will still need the new firmware for iOS 6.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #545 of 710
Quote:

I own M-100s and have Velodyne VTrue on the way.  I may also be using with AKG Tiesto K267 and Ultrasone Signature DJs in the future.  (Wouldn't keep all of those, just M-100s plus one of the other three, but this provides an idea of my ideal sound signature)

1) Are the differences between the sonic performance of the GoDap 4/Vamp and GoDap X/Verza subtle or significant based on published stats?

Until the Verza comes out, there probably won't be any published stats. As for sonic differences between the Go-DAP 4.0 and VAmp, it'll depend whether the Go-DAP 4.0 was customised or not. I had the base Go-DAP 4.0 (both Muses 8820E and OPA2134 versions) and comparing to the VAmp, of course there were differences. I had them customised with the RK73 gain, Muses F95 capacitor added to the DAC, 2200mAh battery, OpAmp upgrades. Now I have Go-DAPs with AD8397, and OPA1612 with those aforementioned upgrades.

For my Go-DAP with OPA1612, I didn't hear any difference in comparison to my VAmp. Note that this is no Go-DAP ASR or VAmp VQ enabled. Once enabled then of course each will have their own "custom tuning" which I personally don't like. The only other difference was that the VAmp could go louder due to it's 150mW/ch. But actual sound-wise, they're effectively the same. In fact, because of that I passed my VAmp to my friend back in Perth last week. I don't need 2xdevices with OPA1612.

2) What differences do some of you who own Vamp hear through Vamp vs. Iphone 4?

As for what the VAmp does for the iPhone 4, others have written reviews of the VAmp, I had written a review for the Go-DAP 4.0 last year/early this year :-

http://www.head-fi.org/products/venturecraft-go-dap-4-0

I didn't write one for the VAmp in the end 'cos it effectively sounded the same as the Go-DAP 4.0 with OPA1612 and all the the other RK73 gain, and DAC cap upgrades.

3) How does Vamp compare as a portable amp to the JDS Labs C421 or Headstage Arrow?

Sorry, don't have those items. But note both those devices are amps only. Not DAC/Amps. The VAmp is a DAC/Amp.

4) Is there a cable that could connect Vamp to Iphone 5 in the future (understanding they won't fit together) ? 

As for using the VAmp with the iPhone 5, I just want to clarify you mean VAmp, not Verza? The answer is No. You cannot use the iPhone 5 with the VAmp. The reason is that the Lightning -> 30-pin cable DrSheep is suggesting has got a Wolfson DAC inside. This mean you're attempting to use the VAmp as an "amp-only" and that's a no-go. The VAmp is used as a combined DAC/Amp or transport to external DAC/Amp via the optical out.You cannot use the VAmp as an "amp only" or a "DAC only".

If your question meant the iPhone 5 & Verza, then a cable something like this will work :-

http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/003082000015/

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #546 of 710
They should release an iPod Classic VAMP, taking in consideration it's the iPod owned by most people here who do have iPods

I would personally take a look at it 

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #547 of 710
Quote:
They should release an iPod Classic VAMP, taking in consideration it's the iPod owned by most people here who do have iPods

I would personally take a look at it 

I'm pretty certain the Go-DAP X is iPod compatible (at least before the firmware upgrade for iOS6 support) - presumably it still is after the firmware upgrade. As such, maybe @ccluk can confirm if the Verza can too?

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #548 of 710
Quote:

I'm pretty certain the Go-DAP X is iPod compatible (at least before the firmware upgrade for iOS6 support) - presumably it still is after the firmware upgrade. As such, maybe @ccluk can confirm if the Verza can too?

Thanks! I'll take a look at it

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #549 of 710
Quote:

It's working. This is my new ipod touch (iOS6) with Go-Dap X connecting together with VentureCraft's modify lightning cable.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #550 of 710
Quote:

It's working. This is my new ipod touch (iOS6) with Go-Dap X connecting together with VentureCraft's modify lightning cable.

looks really sweet! took a look at it, then realized I can not afford it
biggrin.gif
. Can't wait to be able to legally work and afford my stuff -_-

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #551 of 710
Very nice, I got the exact same Red iPod Touch 5G too.  As a side note, Apple is now clamp down on 3rd party cables by adding an ID chip in the Lightning plug, and this is why it is taking forever to get 3rd party cables for the new design.  I am a bit piss on this as I could really use a short patch cable like the one above in my car.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #553 of 710
What, this is BS.  And someone from V-moda forgot about my RMA and now they are trying to track it down...  God this is starting to piss me off.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #555 of 710
I can't even return mine to get a refund from Amazon as it is with V-moda (and currently missing.)  I paid $600 just under a month ago and now it is already at $200, and for that $400 can cover my DragonFly or even a new Verza.  I just ordered a second pair of the M-100 too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back