V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 18, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #12,946 of 23,366
I had the Custom One Pro and from my experience I can say that the M-100 is on another level as far as sound, style and portability.

The only thing the COP has over the M-100 is in the comfort department. The COP is a very comfortable headphone, and with velour pads was even better.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #12,947 of 23,366
I actually had a brain burn with my m100's too! I was expecting something different since I thought they are going to be bright as my m50's. I sadly thought that it wasn't an upgrade from the m50's but now I noticed they have more clarity, details, and I now really enjoy the rolled off highs. I was kind of sensitive to the highs on the 50's and the M100 is perfect. But I noticed that when powered through my fiio e6, I notice that there was more of a in your face sound, and The sound stage somewhat decreased in depth but improved a little in width. Plus the comfort is awesome, luckily I didn't have a problem with my ear touching the drivers much. After adjusting the length and making tilting the cups a little, I found the perfect seal which I could wear for hours. :D I realized these are the best headphones for me since sometimes I get in to the music and start just jumping up and down, head-banging and just moving around. The M100 does an awesome job staying on my head while being extremely comfortable. This was a major concern when considering other options since I do not want to have something huge and requires an amp, but I used to go with the m50 and fiio e6 but I looked silly.

Overall lovin my m100's and will do a review after I lived with it a while!

Awesome Job V-MODA!

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #12,948 of 23,366
I think I owe the thread an apology for flipping out. Wrest assured the individual whose been getting on my nerves the last little while has heard about it. Sorry for letting it flow over onto this sites boards.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #12,949 of 23,366
Straws and camels. We've all been there, man.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #12,950 of 23,366
since "brain burn in" aka getting used to a certain sound signature of a pair of headphones can cause one person to go from a positive perspective to a negative perspective back to a positive perspective, we should all just listen to a random crappy pair of headphones before trying out a new pair & never listen to headphones that are toooo good =P

adjusting to sound signatures probably also accounts for the giant discrepancies in opinions over each headphone's sound as we all have different background reference points. kinda makes me wonder how helpful it is to read about different people's personal opinions on how headphones sound. lol

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #12,951 of 23,366
since "brain burn in" aka getting used to a certain sound signature of a pair of headphones can cause one person to go from a positive perspective to a negative perspective back to a positive perspective, we should all just listen to a random crappy pair of headphones before trying out a new pair & never listen to headphones that are toooo good =P

adjusting to sound signatures probably also accounts for the giant discrepancies in opinions over each headphone's sound as we all have different background reference points. kinda makes me wonder how helpful it is to read about different people's personal opinions on how headphones sound. lol
Is there such thing as burning / breakin headphones in tho? Im new to this.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #12,953 of 23,366
Quote:
Have anyone tried the m10s and then the sennheiser momentum or yamaha 500 pro? I rly dont know what i should buy... I listen a lot of metal music and hiphop sometimes.

I have listened to all 3, but I only own the M-100 and therefore have the most experience with them. From my short listens of the Momentums and the Pro 500 I can tell you that all 3 have a slight V or U shaped frequency response in that the mids are just a little less present than the bass and treble. They all have very good and clean bass response, which is necessary for portable headphones since they have to deal with loud urban or office environments. As for differences,

Momentums, $349
-Very lightweight. Trust me. They do not feel anywhere near as heavy you think they are.
-Beautiful build quality with. a classy, contemporary adult aesthetic.
-Does not fold up, but it includes a large case.
-Widest sound stage of the bunch with the most treble presence and sparkle. Ideal for crispy cymbal crashes and the like.

M-100s, $300:
-Lots of good clean bass with deep sub-bass extension. Sub-bass is the kind of bass you feel more than hear.
-Rock solid build quality with a bold, industrial design.
-Folds up and comes with a form fitting case.
-Engaging, lush sound. Music surrounds you like the humid air in a dense rain forest and envelopes you in your own personal sound space.

I don't remember much about the Pro 500 since I listened to it so long ago, so I think any sound comparisons would be inaccurate. I will mention its other features, though, and someone else can fill in the blank.

Pro 500s, $400:
-Similar design to the Beats by Dre Studios, but are heavier and sturdier. It is also not burdened with the need for a battery in order to play.
-Build is solid and the design seems youth oriented given its structure and color choices.
-Folds up and comes with a case.

I'd say based on your music preferences, I would rank them for music types like this:
Metal=Momentum          HipHop=M-100          Both=Pro 500

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #12,954 of 23,366
Quote:

I have listened to all 3, but I only own the M-100 and therefore have the most experience with them. From my short listens of the Momentums and the Pro 500 I can tell you that all 3 have a slight V or U shaped frequency response in that the mids are just a little less present than the bass and treble. They all have very good and clean bass response, which is necessary for portable headphones since they have to deal with loud urban or office environments. As for differences,

Momentums, $349
-Very lightweight. Trust me. They do not feel anywhere near as heavy you think they are.
-Beautiful build quality with. a classy, contemporary adult aesthetic.
-Does not fold up, but it includes a large case.
-Widest sound stage of the bunch with the most treble presence and sparkle. Ideal for crispy cymbal crashes and the like.

Really!? I felt the Momentums to be quite congested compared to the M-100. In the end I sold my Momentums due to this.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #12,955 of 23,366
Hi guys, few questions:

1) I own the Crossfade LP and I see that there is alot of problem with the ear touching the driver for M100. Is the Crossfade LP's pad similar to that of M100?

2) Does the 3-remote iPhone wire (found in Crossfade LP) work with M100? Why didn't V-MODA include the 3-remote wire iPhone with the M100?

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #12,956 of 23,366
Really!? I felt the Momentums to be quite congested compared to the M-100. In the end I sold my Momentums due to this.

I think a lot depends on the source/amp. Imho, the m-100 is a little bloated straight from an iphone but considerably more balanced from my rx-3b. Soundstage improves also, but i haven't heard the ither two so i cannot really comment.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #12,957 of 23,366
Quote:
I think a lot depends on the source/amp. Imho, the m-100 is a little bloated straight from an iphone but considerably more balanced from my rx-3b. Soundstage improves also, but i haven't heard the ither two so i cannot really comment.

I had the two side-by-side for quite a few weeks (along with the MDR-1R's). I used them with my HP-A8 desktop DAC/Amp, Go-DAP 4.0, DX100 and occasionally with my CLAS+Rx Mk3 setup. The Momentum sounded congested out of all 3 - so I sold it off.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #12,958 of 23,366
I had the two side-by-side for quite a few weeks (along with the MDR-1R's). I used them with my HP-A8 desktop DAC/Amp, Go-DAP 4.0, DX100 and occasionally with my CLAS+Rx Mk3 setup. The Momentum sounded congested out of all 3 - so I sold it off.

I'm on the CLAS+Rx-3b too. The M-100 really work well with the pair, i find. Surprisingly, i think they 'scale' well with better gear - through the gungnir+black cube they sound even nicer. More detailed and even better soundstage. Sort of the polar opposite to my t5p sound-wise.

From your post, i'm glad i didn't get the momentum. i really like the way they look, but i didn't even audition them as i don't feel they're even remotely portable.

What do you think of the Sony, btw? I might get a pair simply 'cos they're made here in Thailand (apparently).

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #12,959 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm on the CLAS+Rx-3b too. The M-100 really work well with the pair, i find. Surprisingly, i think they 'scale' well with better gear - through the gungnir+black cube they sound even nicer. More detailed and even better soundstage. Sort of the polar opposite to my t5p sound-wise.

From your post, i'm glad i didn't get the momentum. i really like the way they look, but i didn't even audition them as i don't feel they're even remotely portable.

What do you think of the Sony, btw? I might get a pair simply 'cos they're made here in Thailand (apparently).

I wrote an impression of the Sony's actually (click linky). However I think the timing is just bad when it came out. The V-Moda M-100 pretty much overshadowed the Sony's. And I believe Sony was targeting them for the more modern kind of sound signature, to me it just didn't hit the mainstream kind of sound. But one thing about the Sony's is that they're one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

For me when I had all 3 cans, the M-100 won out of the lot for my personal tastes.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #12,960 of 23,366
Quote:

Maybe my terminology was off. I only used the Momentums for a brief listen and the song I used, "Genie (Tell Me Your Wish)" by SNSD begins with the sound several women in heels walking from the left channel to the right channel. On the Momentums, from memory, the stereo imaging of this sequence sounded much wider and airy than on the M-100. Perhaps this is due to the more pronounced treble? What the Momentums failed to do was provide a sense of depth like the M-100s, which give off a 3D effect where sound comes from all around you like you're sitting in a small room surrounded by singers and instruments. Therefore, I will revise my statement.

Momentums: Wider left-right stereo imaging that may sound 2-dimensional.
M-100s: 3D sound stage that is both wide and deep.

Now I want to go give the Momentums another listen. Brains are weird. Just look at Kendoji's HE-500/M-100 drama going on in the past couple pages. 
size]

Quote:
Hi guys, few questions:

1) I own the Crossfade LP and I see that there is alot of problem with the ear touching the driver for M100. Is the Crossfade LP's pad similar to that of M100?

2) Does the 3-remote iPhone wire (found in Crossfade LP) work with M100? Why didn't V-MODA include the 3-remote wire iPhone with the M100?

1) The pad is about the same shape and depth, so if you have problems with your ear touching the driver on the LP, it'll probably touch on the M-100.  I've read that the material used may be slightly different as people who have put LP pads on the M-100 report that the sound changes a bit.

2) Yes. It should work. The case only has room for 2 cables and he wanted to include the SharePlay cable, since it's V-MODA's newest cable design, and the Android cable is universally compatible with most phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back