V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 18, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #12,931 of 23,366
Has any comparison been made somewhere in this thread (or anywhere else) between the M100 and Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro? Tried searching with not much luck.

I was and still in the same situation. I have the Custom One Pro and very very happy with it. I ordered the M100 out of curiosity. I didn't want to love it so I can return after trying. Well, now I LOVE them both and decided to keep both. Both are very strong on the bass (nicer to be able to adjust on the COP), great clarity, comfort, NO distortion. Main difference is with the COPs, you feel like you are in a bigger room but can hear every detail of every instrument and voice. With the M100, room is smaller and more intimate. My only issue with the COPs are the lack of customization. I was really looking for the mic cable, mostly to be able to stop tracks (to hear when people are talking to me) and fast forward or rewind and they don't have that. So, I bought the cable from V-Moda so problem solved. I'm also waiting for the coiled cable to come out. As far as fit, M100 are more snug, I think I will try the bigger pads when they come out. With the COPs, you forget it's there, sometimes feel like it's not sealed properly but it actually is. I'll look into trying the velour pads in the future.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #12,932 of 23,366
Quote:
I really like the bass of the lp2, almost too much for me though. Hope the 100 more balanced.

it is! :)

i've tried both.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #12,933 of 23,366
Quote:
It was a little high but nothing I would class as unusable. If you would like more headroom I'm sure Schiit could lower the gain for you if you ask them to. When the Magni was paired with my CLAS-db my DAC I'm guessing has a slightly lower output gain then the Modi because I noticed I had better headroom on the knob.

Absolutely no hiss whatsoever. One thing I must add though I liked the pairing better when it was my CLAS -db/Magni/M-100. When it was the Modi/Magni/M-100 it still sounded good but I preferred my CLAS -db DAC in the chain. Of coarse that's just me and YMMV. If you've been on the fence about an M&M stack don't be it's a good pairing

Quote:
It was a little high but nothing I would class as unusable. If you would like more headroom I'm sure Schiit could lower the gain for you if you ask them to. When the Magni was paired with my CLAS-db my DAC I'm guessing has a slightly lower output gain then the Modi because I noticed I had better headroom on the knob.

Absolutely no hiss whatsoever. One thing I must add though I liked the pairing better when it was my CLAS -db/Magni/M-100. When it was the Modi/Magni/M-100 it still sounded good but I preferred my CLAS -db DAC in the chain. Of coarse that's just me and YMMV. If you've been on the fence about an M&M stack don't be it's a good pairing

I'm contemplating between the O2 DAC with amp and the M&M stack . What would be the difference between them ? I'm using them mostly for the M 100 .  Which one would be better ? For Beats and House music . so top end would be crucial such as percussions.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #12,934 of 23,366
Quote:

I'm contemplating between the O2 DAC with amp and the M&M stack . What would be the difference between them ? I'm using them mostly for the M 100 .  Which one would be better ? For Beats and House music . so top end would be crucial such as percussions.

i was surprised to see someone using the M&M stack with such sensitive headphones such as the m-100. if i were you id order the objective combo and ask for unity gain + 2.5x gain. it will delay delivery by a few days, but i think it would be worth it.
i cant tell from experience, since my m-100 havent arrived yet, but miceblue has reported very good results using the m-100 with unity gain on the O2. the magni has 5x gain, which (depending on your source output ofcourse) may be too high.
just my 2 cents...

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #12,935 of 23,366
Quote:
You won't be wrong!

I hope not :) I just placed my order, too bad that it'll probably take a month to get here.

Can't wait 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #12,936 of 23,366
Well alright, I tried a piece of gear at a head-fi meet and reported back to the thread that it actually paired well. Instead of a thanks I'm reading posts from a certain person who openly admit they haven't heard the gear in question but are telling others to get an O2. Interesting how everywhere I go nowadays its always get an O2. NwAVgUyS minions must really enjoy throwing dollar after dollar at him.

Sorry for polluting the thread with my findings concerning the M&M stack. I'll just edit out all I've written concerning the M&M and leave the thread to the O2 minions. What could my subjectivist ears possibly know compared to an O2 minion and his/her vast knowledge of NwAvGuYs blog which is probably all they know. Why bother even commenting again? Everyone just go out and buy an O2 because your ears be damned the O2 will do it all no matter what. All these minions hidden behind their screens screaming the O2 is the ultimate and only setup must be right.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #12,937 of 23,366
There we go, I just finished editing out my posts concerning the M&M stack. I now leave the thread to the O2 minion and the eventual holier then thou attitude that he/she will eventually bestow onto the thread. I'm so sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #12,938 of 23,366
Digital freak, I've been waiting for impressions of the M&M stack with the M-100 for a couple months. I found your information very interesting and helpful and it has helped to pretty much make up my mind on what my first computer rig will be. I do not understand why you are so upset with people reccomending the objective combo though.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #12,939 of 23,366
Digital freak, I've been waiting for impressions of the M&M stack with the M-100 for a couple months. I found your information very interesting and helpful and it has helped to pretty much make up my mind on what my first computer rig will be. I do not understand why you are so upset with people reccomending the objective combo though.

You're welcome and I'm not upset with the people who come on here on a regular basis. The person who I'm upset with knows who he is. He's been going on and on about an O2 this and O2 that on other site boards none stop to the point it's gotten on people's nerves that any kind of conversation becomes just go buy an O2. The most annoying thing about this person is half the time he comes in mid conversation not bothering to read past posts and throws out the just buy an O2 line. Sorry, sometimes you can't help but become a little frustrated.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #12,941 of 23,366
Quote:
You're welcome and I'm not upset with the people who come on here on a regular basis. The person who I'm upset with knows who he is. He's been going on and on about an O2 this and O2 that on other site boards none stop to the point it's gotten on people's nerves that any kind of conversation becomes just go buy an O2. The most annoying thing about this person is half the time he comes in mid conversation not bothering to read past posts and throws out the just buy an O2 line. Sorry, sometimes you can't help but become a little frustrated.

i hope your not talking about me 
frown.gif

i dont know why youd get so angry over someone giving their opinion. i went back to see what you wrote originally but you've edited it all away. but i remember you yourself said that the volume was a bit loud. personally, i just think the volume control may be unusable, but i openly said that i haven't got my m-100s yet, and ill say too that i have never used the M&M stack - just for the sake of transparency. i just feel that an O2 with unity gain could be a good pair with sensitive headphones - thats all. everything in my own, humble, uninformed opinion. i apologize if it was i that set you off...

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #12,942 of 23,366
I'm having a weird headphone crisis at the moment.  I was in on the first batch of M100 pre-orders and have been quite happy with them.  They were definitely more bassy than I had been expecting, but I loved how much they 'rocked'.  I listened to them almost exlusively for a couple months before Christmas, as I didn't have access to my other cans and  I thought they were very good with a lot of my music.  Then I got the HE-500s and have been listening only to them for countless hours since January.  They're in a different league, of course, also pricewise.  Anyway, this weekend I was travelling and picked up my M100s again so I could listen to music on the road.  And I was shocked.  It felt like all I could hear was a bloated, congested, boomy and overpowering bass drowning out all the good stuff.  And I can't blame the headphones, as I really enjoyed them a few months back.  But now I perceive them completely differently and suddenly  find the signature irritating.  I listened to them quite a bit over the weekend and found that turning the volume down helped a bit.  But I never got used to it.  I'm going to get my M80s back from a friend of mine to compare, and will do some swapping around.  It's all very strange, like the Hifimans have caused such heavy brain burn-in (I love everything about them) that I'm now ruined for other headphones.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #12,943 of 23,366
Argh just did some swapping around, and suddenly the M100s sound fine again!  My brain!!!!!!!

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #12,944 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm having a weird headphone crisis at the moment.  I was in on the first batch of M100 pre-orders and have been quite happy with them.  They were definitely more bassy than I had been expecting, but I loved how much they 'rocked'.  I listened to them almost exlusively for a couple months before Christmas, as I didn't have access to my other cans and  I thought they were very good with a lot of my music.  Then I got the HE-500s and have been listening only to them for countless hours since January.  They're in a different league, of course, also pricewise.  Anyway, this weekend I was travelling and picked up my M100s again so I could listen to music on the road.  And I was shocked.  It felt like all I could hear was a bloated, congested, boomy and overpowering bass drowning out all the good stuff.  And I can't blame the headphones, as I really enjoyed them a few months back.  But now I perceive them completely differently and suddenly  find the signature irritating.  I listened to them quite a bit over the weekend and found that turning the volume down helped a bit.  But I never got used to it.  I'm going to get my M80s back from a friend of mine to compare, and will do some swapping around.  It's all very strange, like the Hifimans have caused such heavy brain burn-in (I love everything about them) that I'm now ruined for other headphones.

Yup, brain burn isn't always good :p I had something similar happen with going from my SM3's to my Tzar 90's, all I could think is "Where's my crazy soundstage?" Tell me what you think vs the M80, even though i ended up passing on the M100, I swear I think about buying back another pair of M80's. Simple, durable, and sounded pretty decent too.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #12,945 of 23,366
Quote:
Argh just did some swapping around, and suddenly the M100s sound fine again!  My brain!!!!!!!

Yeah, I found that to be the case between the K 701 and the M-100 as well. Uguu~ for brain adjustments. >_<
I still really enjoy the M-100 for road-warrior cases. Combined with the C5's bass boost in really noisy environments = bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back