V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #12,961 of 23,366
Quote:
I think I owe the thread an apology for flipping out. Wrest assured the individual whose been getting on my nerves the last little while has heard about it. Sorry for letting it flow over onto this sites boards.

in that case, can i ask some questions? (disregard if the answer is no, of course)
did you lower volume digitally? how much? at what "position" was the volume knob on the magni? did you feel the volume pot was overly sensitive? i tried to find the output of the odac and the modi but wasnt successful, though tbh it was only a brief search. if im not mistaken, standard output for a dac is ~2v. im just wondering if theres a big difference between the two dacs, because if the odac has a lower output, perhaps pairing it with the magni will yield less gain to the volume pot, and make it more useable? just wondering...

Quote:
since "brain burn in" aka getting used to a certain sound signature of a pair of headphones can cause one person to go from a positive perspective to a negative perspective back to a positive perspective, we should all just listen to a random crappy pair of headphones before trying out a new pair & never listen to headphones that are toooo good =P

adjusting to sound signatures probably also accounts for the giant discrepancies in opinions over each headphone's sound as we all have different background reference points. kinda makes me wonder how helpful it is to read about different people's personal opinions on how headphones sound. lol

i think this is why alot of reviews start off by explaining their background. the headphones they are coming from, the amp that was used for the review etc.
this way you can actually get a good idea of where the guy is coming from, and try and figure out if you and he have the same basic idea. because if the review is being written by a neutralhead with hd650s as a reference (just for arguments sake, personally ive never heard ANY sennhiesers), "overpowering bass" to the reviewer, may actually sound really weak to a basshead 

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #12,962 of 23,366
Original text removedEveryone just buy an O2 because the minions say you should
Original text removedRemovedEveryone just buy an O2 because the minions say you should

Wut? What is this my man? Look, you shared an experience, just stand by your conviction & what you personally decide, and let other people shake down what that means to them. Everyone comes at audio with a different taste and background, some will agree with you and some won't. I got in a "tizzy" on the E12 thread because a nit-picker was whining about how the amp would block an iPhone camera, his tone was clearly negative and probably wouldn't win him many friends, and in hindsight his posts would've had just as little influence on others if I hadn't said I don't respect his opinion and asked him to stop trolling. Now, if someone says something should be technically better (and isn't being insulting to others about it), just acknowledge that there may be a difference BUT it didn't negatively impact your enjoyment of the Schiit while listening. Right now I'll just personally add that I have no idea what "unity gain" is, but I'd like to see the gain measured in dB, because if the complaint is between 2.5 and 3 or even 6 dB of gain, that difference is going to be BARELY noticeable.

The guy who designed the O2 was banned from Head-Fi basically because he went on a smear campaign, right? Actually, don't answer that, it'll derail the thread and I don't think we're supposed to discuss moderator actions, I didn't see what happened, but regardless if someone goes beyond recommending a product and into something like a political smear campaign and flaming other products, that would destroy the amicable atmosphere of the forum and will probably be banned or suspended. The designer's blog is full of measurements, but also full of a bias for listening to numbers than listening to music, and an undertone of paranoia that somehow other manufacturers are almost universally trying to lie and cheat consumers. A degree of critical thinking is good...

My personal opinion on the O2 itself is it is a decent amp and a great value for purists, but other options shouldn't be discounted. If the M-100 is your only headphone, the O2 ought to be "good," but there may be cheaper or more complimentary options.
Hi guys, few questions:

1) I own the Crossfade LP and I see that there is alot of problem with the ear touching the driver for M100. Is the Crossfade LP's pad similar to that of M100?

2) Does the 3-remote iPhone wire (found in Crossfade LP) work with M100? Why didn't V-MODA include the 3-remote wire iPhone with the M100?

I also own(ed) the Crossfade LP, can't find the headphone right now, BUT if you find them comfortable you should also be pleased with the M-100 because the pads share the same physical dimensions... You can even put the pads from your LPs on the M-100. I believe you could also use the iPhone remote cable with the M-100, because the jack going into the headphone is the same.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #12,963 of 23,366
in that case, can i ask some questions? (disregard if the answer is no, of course)
did you lower volume digitally? how much? at what "position" was the volume knob on the magni? did you feel the volume pot was overly sensitive? i tried to find the output of the odac and the modi but wasnt successful, though tbh it was only a brief search. if im not mistaken, standard output for a dac is ~2v. im just wondering if theres a big difference between the two dacs, because if the odac has a lower output, perhaps pairing it with the magni will yield less gain to the volume pot, and make it more useable? just wondering...

Don't mind me jumping in here, but it would be great to have tech details published on more equipment. That said, numbers don't tell you everything, just like reading a review isn't like having a personal audition. If you are curious tho, I just had a thought... this discussion would probably be better asked in a different thread :wink:

I think this is why alot of reviews start off by explaining their background. the headphones they are coming from, the amp that was used for the review etc.
this way you can actually get a good idea of where the guy is coming from, and try and figure out if you and he have the same basic idea. because if the review is being written by a neutralhead with hd650s as a reference (just for arguments sake, personally ive never heard ANY sennhiesers), "overpowering bass" to the reviewer, may actually sound really weak to a basshead 

Neutralhead is a new term for me! Giving a brief background is indeed good practice, and no matter how you slice it the V-MODA M-100 has stronger bass presence than the HD650. Just gotta read between the lines over several reviews to determine how it would suit your taste. I'm interested in following Miceblue's impressions, because I primarily use a Q701 which is more similar than different from his K701. Hopefully I reciprocate a few useful impressions for him, although I've been sparse on the purchasing front lately.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #12,964 of 23,366
Quote:
Don't mind me jumping in here, but it would be great to have tech details published on more equipment. That said, numbers don't tell you everything, just like reading a review isn't like having a personal audition. If you are curious tho, I just had a thought... this discussion would probably be better asked in a different thread
wink.gif

yes this is true. i guess im going abit too far off topic. nonetheless, tech details are only useful if you understand them. my knowledge is VERY limited. i was teaching myself about it all but got sidetracked by "real life". ie, signing up for college, looking for an apartment and what not, but the goal is to finally know enough, so that the numbers actually tell you a whole lot. once you know how to add them up, you can tell the difference between marketing bull and true facts. you can better understand specs and their implications, and you can work out if the new piece of equipment you're considering will work well with the rest of your gear. i think its very important to understand the measurements and its my goal to one day understand how audio works. 
having said that, NOTHING is as important as your own preference (imo of course). measurements might be useful for figuring out what to get, but once you can listen to it yourself, i believe all the numbers can fly out the window...

Quote:
Neutralhead is a new term for me! Giving a brief background is indeed good practice, and no matter how you slice it the V-MODA M-100 has stronger bass presence than the HD650. Just gotta read between the lines over several reviews to determine how it would suit your taste. I'm interested in following Miceblue's impressions, because I primarily use a Q701 which is more similar than different from his K701. Hopefully I reciprocate a few useful impressions for him, although I've been sparse on the purchasing front lately.

well, neutralhead isnt a real term really... just like basshead means "a guy who likes bass alot", neutralhead would be "a guy who looks for neutrality in his equipment". again, i have never heard the hd650, but they're often referenced as neutral cans, so i gave them as an example. the m-100 are more of a basshead can (atleast according to reviews, my pair is STILL on its way. grumble grumble), so naturally they should have a stronger bass presence. i enjoyed miceblues impressions very much, and found them very helpful. infact, he was very helpful to me in general when i sent him a pm - good on you miceblue!

oh and by the way, "unity gain" is a term to describe 1x gain. i attempted to understand how it works on the O2 thread but was unsuccessful. 2.5x gain for arguments sake, will increase power (i think) by 2.5 times the input with every step, whereas 1x gain only increases voltage?.. something like that... obviously i have no idea what im talking about here but the basic idea is that its meant for sensitive headphones - such as the m-100. 
edit: unity gain is also the gain setting that the O2 measures best with, which is important to the "purists" you speak of.

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #12,965 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
I think this is why alot of reviews start off by explaining their background. the headphones they are coming from, the amp that was used for the review etc.

Indeed I saw your E12 review and I'm curious to know what it sounds like in-person. :p
Bowei (AKA Panda) also has a Q 701 and I saw his also very good review for the E12. A difference in opinions I see. Unfortunately I'm kind of at the end of my audio shopping spree...for now, except for some HD Tracks albums when they're on sale, so I probably won't be picking up an E12 sometime soon.

I'll be trying a super-limited Project-H in a few weeks for a mini Head-Fi meet, as well as the Mad Dogs with the Alpha Pads. I'll try to do a M-100 vs Mad Dogs comparison on Project-H and O_O combo.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #12,966 of 23,366
I do believe numbers mean everything. Otherwise itd be defects by human body errors. Trust the EE GOD (NwAvGuy) !
This is my opinion.

Btw, my question got skipped and it is, "Burning in headphones, is it a myth or does it actually show proof of improvement?"
Can soeone benchmark m-100s before and after?

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #12,967 of 23,366
Quote:
I do believe numbers mean everything. Otherwise itd be defects by human body errors. Trust the EE GOD (NwAvGuy) !
This is my opinion.

Btw, my question got skipped and it is, "Burning in headphones, is it a myth or does it actually show proof of improvement?"

I perceive zero change in sound of the M-100 from out of the box until now.  It is great out of the box.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #12,968 of 23,366
Quote:
This is my opinion.

It depends on the headphone. M-100 had very minimal, if any, benefits, or detriments due to burn-in.
The K 701 on the other hand did get a smoother treble response after 200 hours of pink noise burn-in. I was seriously about to cry when I heard how harsh the K 701's initial treble response was. >_<

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #12,969 of 23,366
Quote:
It depends on the headphone. M-100 had very minimal, if any, benefits, or detriments due to burn-in.
The K 701 on the other hand did get a smoother treble response after 200 hours of pink noise burn-in. I was seriously about to cry when I heard how harsh the K 701's initial treble response was. >_<

On the side of burn-in, I will add that Amperior's  bass improved dramatically after 10-20 hours of burn-in, so it may be headphone dependent.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #12,971 of 23,366
Quote:
If any of you are light/casual gamers, Bastion is available through the Humble Bundle weekly sale right now. It has a great soundtrack and sounds marvelous with the M-100's. Personally I think it's a steal at $2.63 for the game and soundtrack in FLAC.

+1, it is a great game, and great soundtrack... one of the few games that I actually want to listen to the sound track, I ordered it just for the music

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #12,972 of 23,366
Quote:
If any of you are light/casual gamers, Bastion is available through the Humble Bundle weekly sale right now. It has a great soundtrack and sounds marvelous with the M-100's. Personally I think it's a steal at $2.63 for the game and soundtrack in FLAC.

Bought right there and then. Upped the price by 3 cents but whatever, still a steal.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #12,973 of 23,366
So regarding DJing and isolation, I had the chance to really get the feel for how it was last night. Can't say it was the easiest to monitor. They dis okay but I did have my hp out cranked all the way with the cross channel feed volume all the way down just so i could hear the cues I had on.

I'm going to experiment with some sort of foam or cloth to close off the V-Ports from the inside of he shield. I'm going to try to figure out something that I don't need to remove the pre-existing felt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back