V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #12,993 of 23,366
Quote:
Hell forget about XL. I'm not after clowns shoes in a pad I'd settle for something marginally deeper. Just a wee few millimeters.

+1

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #12,995 of 23,366
Quote:
Hell forget about XL. I'm not after clowns shoes in a pad I'd settle for something marginally deeper. Just a wee few millimeters.

Judging by the way Val works, I don't think the XL pads are going to be "clown shoes". Probably just a few milimiters deeper and a little more space in the inside of the pads to accommodate larger ears.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #12,997 of 23,366
I hope there will be some kind of pad trade-in program set up. Paying more for something they should have gotten right in the first place will be an insult. I'd rather return them. They can lose $300 or a few dollars. Their call.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #12,998 of 23,366
Quote:
Anyone know the size of the ear pads (in inches)?

Google is your best friend for quick conversions

Quote:

Or stiffer padding material.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #12,999 of 23,366
Quote:
I hope there will be some kind of pad trade-in program set up. Paying more for something they should have gotten right in the first place will be an insult. I'd rather return them. They can lose $300 or a few dollars. Their call.

Right for you would likely have been wrong for the majority.  I feel for you, but I don't think this is really as egregious of a misstep as you make it out to be.  

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #13,000 of 23,366
Quote:
Right for you would likely have been wrong for the majority.  I feel for you, but I don't think this is really as egregious of a misstep as you make it out to be.  

I would actually disagree with this statement. My ears are really small and I have never run into this problem with comfort using any other over-ear headphones before. The average human ear protrudes 1.8 cm out of the skull, and I measured my M100 pads to only extend ~1.5cm deep uncompressed, so I don't believe this is an issue limited to a small minority. I actually personally think that for people who wear their M100 continuously for extended periods of time (around 2-4+ hours), the majority of them will actually experience the irritation/discomfort/pain of the driver pressing against their ear.

Whether this is a big misstep or not can be debated, but there is definitely room for improvement. Therefore, I am really glad to hear that V-Moda is taking action to remedy this :)

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #13,001 of 23,366
+1 to that. I have small ears as well and without the mod I cannot stand these cans for more than 30-60min... I have these, bose AE2 and the Jaycar, and these are by far the most uncomfortable. I really love them for many of their features but... I would really appreciate bigger pads, not stiffer ones.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #13,002 of 23,366
Quote:
+1 to that. I have small ears as well and without the mod I cannot stand these cans for more than 30-60min... I have these, bose AE2 and the Jaycar, and these are by far the most uncomfortable. I really love them for many of their features but... I would really appreciate bigger pads, not stiffer ones.

Well, if anyone uses a mod to put something underneath the earpad lip, that's essentially making a stiffer earpad since the earpad is being compressed against that thing instead of empty space. I'm not sure how many people actually have ears too large for the earpad per se, as opposed to having discomfort issues due to their ears touching the driver enclosure (the original paper towel mods were to alleviate this issue).

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #13,003 of 23,366
Quote:
I would actually disagree with this statement. My ears are really small and I have never run into this problem with comfort using any other over-ear headphones before. The average human ear protrudes 1.8 cm out of the skull, and I measured my M100 pads to only extend ~1.5cm deep uncompressed, so I don't believe this is an issue limited to a small minority. I actually personally think that for people who wear their M100 continuously for extended periods of time (around 2-4+ hours), the majority of them will actually experience the irritation/discomfort/pain of the driver pressing against their ear.

Whether this is a big misstep or not can be debated, but there is definitely room for improvement. Therefore, I am really glad to hear that V-Moda is taking action to remedy this :)

There are a couple reasons where your reasoning is flawed IMO.  Maybe you're right about ear size, but I would say a small minority of people listen for 2+ hours at a time.  Also, You have to consider how many people are actually bothered by their ears touching the inside of the cup.  I'm just guessing here, but I am assuming V-MODA considers the M-100 a success thus far.  If they were considered uncomfortable by even a large MINORITY, this would not be the case.  

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #13,004 of 23,366
There we go again , it seems that quite a number of us have undoubtedly have comfort issues with this headphone. The M 100 is a GREAT headphone but with this pressing issue for some of us I am beginning to think it is kind of annoying judging by the premium pricetag on this headphone- Just an opinion. For those who have NO comfort issues , GOOD FOR YOU ! am raising this issue for those who does - No hard feelings please.

Despite Val did mentioned "The Fit is the Sound" I have to agree to disagree . Based on the fact that it is not that simple , lets take it up a notch . Say if one is placed in a 3ft x 3ft room with top of the range sound system, good acoustics: eg foamed walls and etc, with a wood stool . It might sound AWSOME but I believe one will not stay there for long. To put it in a more simple manner The FIT alone  will not "CUT it" for a good listening experience. ACOUSTICS does play a big part in this.

Again to further break it down. The FIT "MIGHT" be the SOUND but may I add the ACOUSTICS is the COMFORT, THE SOUND, and ultimately determines the OVERALL LISTENING EXPERIENCE...

Let this be an encouragement and one of the pressing criteria to improve this great piece of KIT. Am aware the new XL ear cup is coming up/under R&D lets hope it will solve our dilemma and hopefully no MOD needed this time round. 

If I had my LPs, i would contribute a picture. They did pin my ears back against my head. With the LPs I had (have somewhere), I basically would get an album out of them before needing to give my cartilage in my ears a break. Headband got to me too. Now, maybe it's good to take a break after that much listening, I mean people choose pleasurable activities over their health all the time. However, I usually play music during "marathons" at a "just above background volume" level so I don't think I'm doing much worse damage (maybe less) than just walking around an urban environment, and sometimes when I'm working on a computer, menial task, or home from work, I just get bored and music helps fill the time and sometimes add a little context.

I think "the fit is the sound" indeed was a design principle of the V-MODA pads & headphones, but another aspect I think people are ignoring is the look/fashion of it. A lot of headphones, ESPECIALLY circumaurals, stick out pretty far from the head, are quite substantially large looking in relation to the head, and can look silly. The Crossfades and the M-100 are some of the least awkward looking on the head (if they aren't too flashy with chrome for your taste), and I think a big part of that is they don't stick out very far. So, that is another aspect of the headphone's design: a circumaural compact enough to wear in public.

Overall, I think there are pros and cons, and I consider V-MODA's headphones suited for walk-about and portable use, not reference home use and comfort.

P.S. A 3ft x 3ft room? Thanks for making me feel claustrophobic XD

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #13,005 of 23,366
I don't know why, but I was watching Duran Duran's Rio music video on YouTube and the [epic] sax guy at 3:13 reminds me of Val, hahaha:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back