V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #13,022 of 23,366
Quote:
I had the M100s and I measured the earcup depth myself to be approximately 14-15mm uncompressed. If you have the M100, you can do the measurements as well. Note that the actual earcup depth of the M100 in use is even shallower as the ear pads will be compressed down even farther due to the tight clamping force.

Here is are a few sources for average human ear dimensions & the average protrusion is always quoted to be 1.8 cm.
http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/otoplasty_should.html
http://www.nyplasticsurg.com/earsurgery.html
http://www.shahfacialplastics.com/otoplasty-article.html

For portable closed headphones in the $300 range, I have tried many competitors including the Sennheiser Momentums, UE 6000, Sony MDR-1R, AKG K550, Beats Studio, Bose Quietcomfort 15, and the Audio-Technica ANC-ATH7. All of these competing headphones give at least 20mm clearance for earcup depth, and I have never experienced this sort of problem with any other pair of over-ear headphones.

Those are the facts of the situation.

I cannot speak for others, but in my personal experience, I had irritation after 30 minutes and could not continue to wear these headphones beyond 2-3 hours due to sharp pain on the outer edge of my ears. I also have smaller-than-average ears that only protrude 15mm from my skull. I am not asking for earcups big enough for the biggest ears, but just give enough clearance for the 18mm protrusion of average ears. From my personal experience, I believe that most people who try wearing the M100s continuously for extend periods of time will also experience some sort of discomfort. Therefore, my feedback to V-Moda is to ask them to consider adjusting their headphone design to make the earcup depth to at least 18-20mm in future products.

I am actually really impressed that V-Moda is taking the step to make these XL pads as I don't think that is very profitable. I personally think that if the headphones were not comfortable, most users will simply return them and move on. So I do want to applaud V-Moda for taking the time to try to help out unsatisfied customers and always striving improve their product.

These points are what I have been trying to put forward all these while, I'm glad that there is quite a number that is on the same page as my humble self. I would predict there would be more of this issue in the future if it is not properly resolved as there is only a relatively small number of M 100 that is in the market so far also bearing in mind not everyone would contribute and not every owner is in Head Fi , Judging by the amount of user that brings this issue up here and also review from other site , it is still quite a fair bit . 

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #13,024 of 23,366
Quote:
 I personally think that if the headphones were not comfortable, most users will simply return them and move on. 

This is precisely my point.  I don't see this happening.  Also, there have been maybe 15-20  people on Head-Fi complaining about this.  Out of the 300-400ish that purchased from the initial run and the subsequent inventory that has been produced.  It just doesn't seem like that big of a number.  You are a vocal group, but a small group, that find this headphone uncomfortable.   

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #13,027 of 23,366
Have not tried them yet but isn't the search for the perfect headphone a never ending quest? Am I trolling?

For me, the M-100 seems like a great headphone which is why I subscribed to this thread. I can't wait to get my own set someday.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #13,028 of 23,366
No you are not trolling, and if you want a test drive without breaking the bank, the original cross fade LP can be had for $100 now. I know it sounds different, but form factor wise they are very similar and a great way to try out V-MODA product.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #13,029 of 23,366
As I stated before, I give the M-100 a 6.5 out of 10 in comfort. If it had the same comfort on the ears as the Custom One Pro, which I had for a while, the M-100 will be a PERFECT headphone, at least for my sound preference.

Can't wait to try those Dusty Gozonga's pads.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #13,030 of 23,366
Quote:
This is precisely my point.  I don't see this happening.  Also, there have been maybe 15-20  people on Head-Fi complaining about this.  Out of the 300-400ish that purchased from the initial run and the subsequent inventory that has been produced.  It just doesn't seem like that big of a number.  You are a vocal group, but a small group, that find this headphone uncomfortable.   

Regardless how many people post on these forums to complain about the issue, if you look at the measurements, these headphones are inherently shallower than the average human ear.

Another example of a similar issue is the Sennheiser Momentums. There are many people who love the Momentums and find them "comfortable," but the earcup dimensions are too small to be truly over-ears and if you wear the Momentums for a extended period of time, you will experience some sort of discomfort due to the earpads exerting pressure on your ears. This is an inherent design flaw, but how much that design flaw bothers you is a personal opinion. The Momentums are really highly reviewed and the majority of current Momentum owners are probably very satisfied. However, there are many people who returned or did not try the Momentums because of this issue and I would consider the small earcup circumference of the Momentums to be a design flaw. If Sennheiser released a version of the Momentums with earcup dimensions that are larger than the average human ear, that is obviously an improvement for everyone (even if you had found the headphones acceptably comfortable beforehand).

I am wondering if you currently have the M100s and if you personally found that you could wear the M100s for extended periods of time without discomfort. I don't think that anyone would disagree that the earcups are extremely shallow.

Quote:
Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong...Let's settle this once and for all.  Please vote.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/656815/v-moda-m-100-comfortable-or-not

I like your idea of a poll, but you do realize that the only people who would vote in your poll would be head-fi-ers currently following this thread or head-fi-ers very interested in the M100 comfort issue. So the sampling would be inherently biased, and I would be wary of reading too much into the results. For example, right now the poll says that 9 out of 12 people find the M100s uncomfortable, but I don't think you can say that the issue is settled and the majority of M100 users have comfort issues. It just shows that currently more people who are unsatisfied with the M100 comfort voted in your poll.

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. I don't think it matters "how many people complained about this on Head-Fi" or exactly what is the ratio of M100 owners that experience this issue. I believe the majority of M100 owners probably do not write reviews about their purchases. The majority of M100 owners are also probably not head-fi members and most M100 owners probably do not follow the M100 thread. There are people who tried the M100 and returned it due to comfort issues. There are people who only wear their M100 for 30 minutes at a time. There are people who are choosing between Skull Candy, Beats, and V-Moda. There are people who have experienced comfort issues but decided that overall, the headphones are still worth it. I am sure the majority of M100 owners are satisfied with their headphones.

However, this complaint has cropped up not only on head-fi, but also in professional review websites and consumer-reviews. Don't you think that the fact that there is a vocal group complaining about this problem to V-Moda demonstrates that this is a significant problem that should be addressed?

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #13,031 of 23,366
Although I am very satisfied with my M-100 purchase, I agree that the comfort of these headphone has become a real issue for many (I include myself to some extent), even so that Val, the CEO of the company, has come forward in this same forum/thread to address it with the option of the XL pads. I don't think other headphone companies work this way with their customers.

The second "issue" here is WHEN they will actually be available....
confused.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #13,032 of 23,366
Think this topic has gone on for too long.

The poll will only lead to detract potential buyers. I made a post that will hopefully give light to the fact that I'm patiently waiting for the XL pads.
It's no secret that bigger pads are being released. Val is doing his best to get them ready, so regardless of the issue now, the fact is, its being fixed, so the topic of design flaw/majority discomfort is moot until the new pads come out. This topic had already been discussed at length prior to Val going into development with the new pads, so we should all just take a sit down, and let Val do this, without pages of discomfort bickering. It's gotten to the point of statistic pulling and finite measurements, which are objectively good, but we all know that new larger pads are on their way.

Patience is a virtue, as much as I'd like to wear my cans all day if I want to, I can't, but the knowledge of the XL pads keep my negative feedback on the issue at bay. I don't think its a design flaw so much as an oversight in the memory foam compression along with time usage variance between each user.

V-MODA made a fantastic headphone, and have just as great customer feedback. They've heard us already, we need bigger pads. Let's focus on that, instead of continually giving negative feedback on an issue that's being dealt with.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #13,033 of 23,366
Quote:
No you are not trolling, and if you want a test drive without breaking the bank, the original cross fade LP can be had for $100 now. I know it sounds different, but form factor wise they are very similar and a great way to try out V-MODA product.

Thanks Dr. Sheep.  I tested the M-80 at a Radio Shack but it wasn't what I was expecting.  Coming from the ATH M50 I think the M-100 is probably what I'm looking for, a more fun V shaped sound.  I might just go ahead and bite the bullet and get a set next week but will have to hide them from my wife for a long time. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #13,034 of 23,366
Quote:
most uncomfortable hp i have ever worn!

If you think the m-100s are uncomfortable, the skullcandy mix master mike would just be torture. The headphones touches the driver like crazy, hard plastic, gives you a head ache like the second when you where them. All plastic, high clamp, hair gets stuck between gaps. ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!!!! v-moda are truly comfortable, they form to your head! the mix master mike is like 5,000,000,000 worse than the m100s in comfort! and also in sound too, too agressive, no soundstage, overall all the WORSE than the m100s

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #13,035 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
most uncomfortable hp i have ever worn!

If you think the m-100s are uncomfortable, the skullcandy mix master mike would just be torture. The headphones touches the driver like crazy, hard plastic, gives you a head ache like the second when you where them. All plastic, high clamp, hair gets stuck between gaps. ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!!!! v-moda are truly comfortable, they form to your head! the mix master mike is like 5,000,000,000 worse than the m100s in comfort! and also in sound too, too agressive, no soundstage, overall all the WORSE than the m100s

It's OVER 9000!!!! *Mix Master gets crushed in hand*

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Dr. Sheep.  I tested the M-80 at a Radio Shack but it wasn't what I was expecting.  Coming from the ATH M50 I think the M-100 is probably what I'm looking for, a more fun V shaped sound.  I might just go ahead and bite the bullet and get a set next week but will have to hide them from my wife for a long time. 
biggrin.gif

Yup, I agree. If you like the M50, the M-100 would be a better pick over the M-80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back