V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 22, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #13,006 of 23,366
Quote:

it's all about the sound and remember THE FIT IS THE SOUND.  If you look at how many editor's choice awards and praise we have won (Sound Vision, CNET, Pop Sci, Engadget, Gizmodo to name a few), we made the right choice for the greatest amount of people and most put in their reviews how comfortable they are.  Plus you can adjust the headband by bending it outwards if it is too tight out of the box.  

The larger pads SOUNDED BAD to me and our small test group.  Very bloated and not enough seperation.  The Crossfade LP was the highest ranked consumer headphone by customer satisfaction in the world, so we slightly modded that size and tested dozens of variations in fact using various sizes to balance comfort/sound/fit.  The size now DOES fit the majority of users comfortably and achieves our goal of greatest sound for greatest amount of people.

For the XL, it won't be delayed much longer, the first of the NEWER prototypes are done in two days.  After we test and green-light it, it takes about 6 weeks to build.  But if this size isn't right, we'll try again and it'll be about another 2 weeks.

Remember the headband can be used alternatively for less pressure as it wears in or you can slightly bend it outwards like adjusting the bridge on glasses. 

-V

Quote:

There we go again , it seems that quite a number of us have undoubtedly have comfort issues with this headphone. The M 100 is a GREAT headphone but with this pressing issue for some of us I am beginning to think it is kind of annoying judging by the premium pricetag on this headphone- Just an opinion. For those who have NO comfort issues , GOOD FOR YOU ! am raising this issue for those who does - No hard feelings please.

Despite Val did mentioned "The Fit is the Sound" I have to agree to disagree . Based on the fact that it is not that simple , lets take it up a notch . Say if one is placed in a 3ft x 3ft room with top of the range sound system, good acoustics: eg foamed walls and etc, with a wood stool . It might sound AWSOME but I believe one will not stay there for long. To put it in a more simple manner The FIT alone  will not "CUT it" for a good listening experience. ACOUSTICS does play a big part in this.

Again to further break it down. The FIT "MIGHT" be the SOUND but may I add the ACOUSTICS is the COMFORT, THE SOUND, and ultimately determines the OVERALL LISTENING EXPERIENCE...

Let this be an encouragement and one of the pressing criteria to improve this great piece of KIT. Am aware the new XL ear cup is coming up/under R&D lets hope it will solve our dilemma and hopefully no MOD needed this time round. 

Quote:

I didn't think this issue needed to be raised again.  A new pad is being developed.  

Quote:

Google is your best friend for quick conversions

Or stiffer padding material.

Quote:
If I had my LPs, i would contribute a picture. They did pin my ears back against my head. With the LPs I had (have somewhere), I basically would get an album out of them before needing to give my cartilage in my ears a break. Headband got to me too. Now, maybe it's good to take a break after that much listening, I mean people choose pleasurable activities over their health all the time. However, I usually play music during "marathons" at a "just above background volume" level so I don't think I'm doing much worse damage (maybe less) than just walking around an urban environment, and sometimes when I'm working on a computer, menial task, or home from work, I just get bored and music helps fill the time and sometimes add a little context.

I think "the fit is the sound" indeed was a design principle of the V-MODA pads & headphones, but another aspect I think people are ignoring is the look/fashion of it. A lot of headphones, ESPECIALLY circumaurals, stick out pretty far from the head, are quite substantially large looking in relation to the head, and can look silly. The Crossfades and the M-100 are some of the least awkward looking on the head (if they aren't too flashy with chrome for your taste), and I think a big part of that is they don't stick out very far. So, that is another aspect of the headphone's design: a circumaural compact enough to wear in public.

Overall, I think there are pros and cons, and I consider V-MODA's headphones suited for walk-about and portable use, not reference home use and comfort.

P.S. A 3ft x 3ft room? Thanks for making me feel claustrophobic XD

Now just to quote that has been mentioned here , first off lets be a bit critical. Both Sound Vision and Cnet have concern about the comfort issues.  Specially Cnet which I believe described spot on for those of us who is experiencing the problem. Apart from GIZMODO who actually mentioned " You can wear them for HOURS with ZERO strain" <-- which is a highly doubtable statement. With that said, I do not think they made the right choice initially in terms of comfort for the greatest amount of people. 

Again , while adjusting headband might still be acceptable for some but placing tissue for whatever reasons does not justify the 300 dollar pricetag. Bearing in mind that for comfort both the headband and the pad goes hand in hand.

I believe among all periods, NOW is the TIME to rise this issue and bring it up to attention as it is still under R&D and before mass production stage.

Personally I think just by adding a few mm in size overall and a denser pad/foam may fix the comfort problem as for the sound they will have to find a way to make do.

Headphone should be comfortable no matter where, what or when they are used for. Being a runner myself , I will not even run a few K in this let alone marathons simply by the weight of it as mentioned by sound vision review.  As for the aesthetics or you so call the fashion. I do not think a few mm would change much in the overall "fashion" of it . It's like having a normal BMW 3 series and an M3 . Think of the new ear pad as a wider and thicker tyres, in fact the M3 even looks cooler 
bigsmile_face.gif

Hope this helps.

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #13,007 of 23,366
Not to distract from the pad convo.... But I have something I need to share cuz its bothering me so much.

Twice while wearing my M-100 people have mentioned my 'SkullCandy headphones'.....
e39.png

First time I was telling another supposed audiophile about them and he assumed they were SC. Just now someone at work used my headphones as a nickname calling me SkullCandy...... No. I can be called names, be poked fun at and I always laugh at my own expense.... But don't you ever call my V-MODA M-100 SkullCandy. And no you can't listen. You lost your privilege.... Just.... No...

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #13,008 of 23,366
Quote:
Not to distract from the pad convo.... But I have something I need to share cuz its bothering me so much.

Twice while wearing my M-100 people have mentioned my 'SkullCandy headphones'.....
e39.png

First time I was telling another supposed audiophile about them and he assumed they were SC. Just now someone at work used my headphones as a nickname calling me SkullCandy...... No. I can be called names, be poked fun at and I always laugh at my own expense.... But don't you ever call my V-MODA M-100 SkullCandy. And no you can't listen. You lost your privilege.... Just.... No...

Yeah that is just straight up wrong ! Good move on not letting that audiophile listen 
deadhorse.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #13,009 of 23,366
Quote:

e39.png

What, you don't think the M-100's are skull candy? [as opposed to eye candy, get it? get it? *nudge nudge*]
Okay, I'm tired, I didn't get any sleep last night.... >.>

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #13,010 of 23,366
Lol. I see what you did there.

If it weren't already a clever name for a POS brand, I would have said the same (ISWYDT) to whoever was clever enough to come up with it. But alas, the brand has ruined the cleverness, and my audio snobbery doesn't let it go.

I, too, am suffering a lack of sleep so it might be bothering me more cuz I'm tired and irritable....

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #13,011 of 23,366
Now go get some sleep, Beats Boy.

(see?  now that would have been worse)

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #13,012 of 23,366

Cable(Technics RP-DH1200) sooo i was thinking to get another cable like that, and cutting off one of the nubs things and sanding it down other one so its fits. But of course i can just wait for the coilpro, but i would just imagine its something like that

and for my ears. they fit pretty well, mind u i think the bottem pad rest on top of the lobe(bottem part) of my ear, but i have a pretty big lobe so it pretty comfortable!
I dont have the head band extended, i kept it at the smallest so it stays snug on my head, no loose movements when i run around. once again i have these on for pretty long periods of time, But mind you im not hardcore and have them on like 30 hours non-stop. If you think about it!, even wearing ur underwear for a long period of time, u will feel alittle discomfort as suppose of being commando! u gotta pick that weggie if it arises!

And like seriously! i would not say it's a studio headphone or a home entertainment
(Starcaft 2 hots trailer)[with m-100]. It can be used as one! IMO i believe that the M-100 was built to see the outside world! and take a beating while it's out there. And if they are built to last! i hope val makes many accessories for it! or how else is he going to make some money.

I've never tried the faders so i dont know exactly how they work, But just out of curiosity, can u wear the faders and put on the m-100 comfortably? And while they are both on, would it filter out the loudest background noises (club monitors, etc), And just hone in on the m-100's output. EVen if u have to turn up the headphone volume on the mixer. just a suggestion and something for u guys to try.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #13,013 of 23,366
Quote:
There are a couple reasons where your reasoning is flawed IMO.  Maybe you're right about ear size, but I would say a small minority of people listen for 2+ hours at a time.  Also, You have to consider how many people are actually bothered by their ears touching the inside of the cup.  I'm just guessing here, but I am assuming V-MODA considers the M-100 a success thus far.  If they were considered uncomfortable by even a large MINORITY, this would not be the case.  

If a product is designed to be put over a pair of human ears, but the earcup depth is shallower than the average protrusion of the human ear, I personally see this as a pretty obvious design flaw.

Design flaws are not related to how many people they affect or how long they take to manifest. For example, when Android release a new smartphone OS that has a security exploit, only a small minority of people actually get their phones hacked and they didn't get hacked immediately... however, this is still a design flaw. Or when Apple had the antenna issue with the iPhone 4 causing the signal to be dropped when it was held a certain way... not everyone held the phone that way, but that is still an issue that should be addressed.  

Many M100 users probably wear it around their necks most of the time, and only listen to the headphones for short sessions, so they never run into the problem. However, if you have followed this thread, there have been a ton of complaints about this issue and a lot of head-fiers resorted to doing paper towel mods, so I would imagine that the problem is more widespread than you believe. Even if the majority of people are happy with a product because they feel like the sound and style is worth it, that does not mean the product does not have flaws with comfort.

Sure, I agree that the M100 is probably a success in terms of sales numbers, overall sonic quality, and unique eye-catching design. Overall, I would also agree that they are a great pair of headphones that I would recommend to my friends. However, there are a lot of alternative headphones out there with equally impressive sound and better comfort, so I think that V-Moda is only improving their product by releasing XL pads.

Quote:
I think "the fit is the sound" indeed was a design principle of the V-MODA pads & headphones, but another aspect I think people are ignoring is the look/fashion of it. A lot of headphones, ESPECIALLY circumaurals, stick out pretty far from the head, are quite substantially large looking in relation to the head, and can look silly. The Crossfades and the M-100 are some of the least awkward looking on the head (if they aren't too flashy with chrome for your taste), and I think a big part of that is they don't stick out very far. So, that is another aspect of the headphone's design: a circumaural compact enough to wear in public.

I agree with this statement. I think that V-Moda made the conscious decided to sacrifice a bit of comfort for style. However, even the Beats, which are considered by some people as very fashionable/stylish headphones, gives your ears more clearance. I personally do not think that comfort needs to be sacrificed for style or even sound. The Sony MDR-1R is an example of a design that consciously promotes all three.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #13,014 of 23,366
Quote:
If a product is designed to be put over a pair of human ears, but the earcup depth is shallower than the average protrusion of the human ear, I personally see this as a pretty obvious design flaw.

Design flaws are not related to how many people they affect or how long they take to manifest. For example, when Android release a new smartphone OS that has a security exploit, only a small minority of people actually get their phones hacked and they didn't get hacked immediately... however, this is still a design flaw. Or when Apple had the antenna issue with the iPhone 4 causing the signal to be dropped when it was held a certain way... not everyone held the phone that way, but that is still an issue that should be addressed.  

Many M100 users probably wear it around their necks most of the time, and only listen to the headphones for short sessions, so they never run into the problem. However, if you have followed this thread, there have been a ton of complaints about this issue and a lot of head-fiers resorted to doing paper towel mods, so I would imagine that the problem is more widespread than you believe. Even if the majority of people are happy with a product because they feel like the sound and style is worth it, that does not mean the product does not have flaws with comfort.

Sure, I agree that the M100 is probably a success in terms of sales numbers, overall sonic quality, and unique eye-catching design. Overall, I would also agree that they are a great pair of headphones that I would recommend to my friends. However, there are a lot of alternative headphones out there with equally impressive sound and better comfort, so I think that V-Moda is only improving their product by releasing XL pads.

I agree with this statement. I think that V-Moda made the conscious decided to sacrifice a bit of comfort for style. However, even the Beats, which are considered by some people as very fashionable/stylish headphones, gives your ears more clearance. I personally do not think that comfort needs to be sacrificed for style or even sound. The Sony MDR-1R is an example of a design that consciously promotes all three.

Well Written and Illustrated ! Fully Agreed ! 

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #13,015 of 23,366
Quote:

I've never tried the faders so i dont know exactly how they work, But just out of curiosity, can u wear the faders and put on the m-100 comfortably? And while they are both on, would it filter out the loudest background noises (club monitors, etc), And just hone in on the m-100's output. EVen if u have to turn up the headphone volume on the mixer. just a suggestion and something for u guys to try.

It is not comfortable at all. I can put up with doing that for maybe 10-15 minutes, but after that I have to take it off. The faders protrude too far out of the ears and presses against the driver enclosure which pushes the faders against your ears even harder. The sound quality when your turn your M-100 really loud is quite nice, if a bit veiled. Maybe it'll be a viable solution with the XL pads...

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #13,016 of 23,366
Quote:

When did we determine that the depth is shallower than the average protrusion of the human ear?  I don't recall anyone posting a source for those dimensions.  Furthermore; you will never design a headphone that is large enough for all ears without creating other issues.  The examples you give are fundamental flaws in the design of products that effected ALL models.  EVERY customer had the chance of experiencing the problems.  I don't see the M-100 as an example of the same type of design flaw.  You can only design a product to work with so many different use cases.  They will never be perfect.  Also, the Head-Fi community is an incredibly small sample size.  Just because 15 or so people on this board have experienced comfort issues doesn't make it a majority issue.  Regardless, an alternative pad is in the works and all will be right in world soon.  It would certainly be interesting to see how many people actually order them compared to the total M-100 unit sales.  

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #13,017 of 23,366
I am really sorry to say that these are objectively unconfortable. I have really small ears, and it hurts in less than 15min with stock, plus yes, a lot of people complaints about the same.

There are comfortable headphones and unconfortable headphones. These are of the second type.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #13,018 of 23,366
Quote:
When did we determine that the depth is shallower than the average protrusion of the human ear?  I don't recall anyone posting a source for those dimensions.  Furthermore; you will never design a headphone that is large enough for all ears without creating other issues.  The examples you give are fundamental flaws in the design of products that effected ALL models.  EVERY customer had the chance of experiencing the problems.  I don't see the M-100 as an example of the same type of design flaw.  You can only design a product to work with so many different use cases.  They will never be perfect.  Also, the Head-Fi community is an incredibly small sample size.  Just because 15 or so people on this board have experienced comfort issues doesn't make it a majority issue.  Regardless, an alternative pad is in the works and all will be right in world soon.  It would certainly be interesting to see how many people actually order them compared to the total M-100 unit sales.  

I had the M100s and I measured the earcup depth myself to be approximately 14-15mm uncompressed. If you have the M100, you can do the measurements as well. Note that the actual earcup depth of the M100 in use is even shallower as the ear pads will be compressed down even farther due to the tight clamping force.

Here is are a few sources for average human ear dimensions & the average protrusion is always quoted to be 1.8 cm.
http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/otoplasty_should.html
http://www.nyplasticsurg.com/earsurgery.html
http://www.shahfacialplastics.com/otoplasty-article.html

For portable closed headphones in the $300 range, I have tried many competitors including the Sennheiser Momentums, UE 6000, Sony MDR-1R, AKG K550, Beats Studio, Bose Quietcomfort 15, and the Audio-Technica ANC-ATH7. All of these competing headphones give at least 20mm clearance for earcup depth, and I have never experienced this sort of problem with any other pair of over-ear headphones.

Those are the facts of the situation.

I cannot speak for others, but in my personal experience, I had irritation after 30 minutes and could not continue to wear these headphones beyond 2-3 hours due to sharp pain on the outer edge of my ears. I also have smaller-than-average ears that only protrude 15mm from my skull. I am not asking for earcups big enough for the biggest ears, but just give enough clearance for the 18mm protrusion of average ears. From my personal experience, I believe that most people who try wearing the M100s continuously for extend periods of time will also experience some sort of discomfort. Therefore, my feedback to V-Moda is to ask them to consider adjusting their headphone design to make the earcup depth to at least 18-20mm in future products.

I am actually really impressed that V-Moda is taking the step to make these XL pads as I don't think that is very profitable. I personally think that if the headphones were not comfortable, most users will simply return them and move on. So I do want to applaud V-Moda for taking the time to try to help out unsatisfied customers and always striving improve their product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back