V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #11,866 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm looking forward to comparisons between the C5 and the E12 with the M-100! 

Based on history, you probably can't go wrong with either.  We just don't know pricing on the C5.

What is the pricing for the E12? I have a slight lean towards the C5 based on the company's previous products (not to say FiiO makes bad products; I love the E7 for what is is), adoption of objectivity, and super fast and personal customer support, but I like the E12's analog volume control over the C5's digital lever. But yeah I think both amps will be good.

~$120 for the E12

Jeeze what's this C5 business? I now have another portable amp to keep my eye on.....

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #11,867 of 23,366
Quote:
Indeed:

http://youtu.be/W8sjiWc9KuU?t=23m23s

He mentioned about the Z02 where I've linked from

thanks man.

I already have the E11 and a Clip Zip, but lets say if I add the ZO2 to my setup do I need to:

Clip Zip bass eq "flat"
E11 with no bass boost (just use the amp)
and only use the ZO2 to enhance bass?

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #11,868 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm looking forward to comparisons between the C5 and the E12 with the M-100! 

Based on history, you probably can't go wrong with either.  We just don't know pricing on the C5.

What is the pricing for the E12? I have a slight lean towards the C5 based on the company's previous products (not to say FiiO makes bad products; I love the E7 for what is is), adoption of objectivity, and super fast and personal customer support, but I like the E12's analog volume control over the C5's digital lever. But yeah I think both amps will be good.

~$120 for the E12

Jeeze what's this C5 business? I now have another portable amp to keep my eye on.....

Ah, good 'ol FiiO pricing. :)
I'm expecting that the C5 will be more expensive given JDS Labs is a smaller company.

C5 thread.
Yes, it's Alps lever with center rest position. Volume advances 1dB every 55ms. Those numbers are meaningless until you try it. I spent days tinkering with the firmware to get an optimal speed. It takes about 3.5 seconds to transition from mute to max, and single "steps" are still possible (and subtle). Excellent volume control was the highest focus in C5.

In other words the volume is controlled via a mechanism similar to the thing in the top-right corner of this:

On a more related note, I accidentally tugged on the M-100's cable while rushing to put things away and turning-off the home alarm system and the cable nicely detached from the earcup without yanking the M-100's off my head. Very nice design of the non-locking cable!

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #11,869 of 23,366
Quote:
thanks man.

I already have the E11 and a Clip Zip, but lets say if I add the ZO2 to my setup do I need to:

Clip Zip bass eq "flat"
E11 with no bass boost (just use the amp)
and only use the ZO2 to enhance bass?

You'd want to run the Clip Zip flat, and the E11 flat. Use the E11 to amp up the sound, and then the Z02 to enhance the bass (not sure how good the Z02 is as an amp on its own, as a lot of people pair it with something else).

I was thinking of daisy chaining it the other way around, but it may be better to add to the bass and then amplifier further, than amplifing and then adding additional bass on top. It depends I guess. It could do something to the sound done both ways. Might be best to experiment.

I'd wonder though about additional losses going through 3 items before the headphones, but its worth a shot.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #11,870 of 23,366
Yes, I too enjoy that feature of these. Not only is the cable made of kevlar and I laugh when I see my cats chewing on it, but being detachable at the earcups is a huge bonus.

C5 looks neat, I'll keep my eyes on it for sure. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #11,873 of 23,366
Quote:
does anyone have somewhat a popping noise in one of their driver when listening to heavy bass songs?

I haven't had that before. That sounds like something is wrong with the driver, if not the song itself. Does it happen only during a specific part of a song, or is it throughout the whole thing?

If it's a bass issue, you can always generate single sine wave tones, or a low-frequency sweep/chirp in Audacity to see if it really is the headphone itself.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #11,874 of 23,366
Just did the paper towel mod with 4 pieces of 3x5 in gauze. Improved the fit that I was complaining about, they now put enough pressure on my ears to make them feel nice and set in place on my head. Definitely widens the sound stage quite a bit, bass has more impact, and the overall sound benefits from the mod imo. The only thing I do not like is that I have 4 pieces of gauze in my headphones, feels kind of strange to be having to do that to a $310 pair of cans.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #11,875 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey since you have the shadow headband material and the matte black leather headband to compare, which one do you like better? And which one is les prune to scratches?

Both are scratch resistant and both headbands are comfortable and look nice therefore they both work for me.

If nobody minds I'd like to post a general response on the thread concerning some PM's I've been receiving. I've had some people PM me concerning the M-80 vs the M-100 sound so I thought I'd just post a general response on the thread. For whatever reason people seem to think I know everything there is to know about V-MODA gear and truth be told nothing could be further from the truth. I just know what I like and not much more then that.

The M-80 is a fluid like (when I say fluid like think melodic) sounding headphone with very polite highs that roll off early. It's bass is clean and only slightly leeches into the mids. Sound stage is good for such a tiny headphone and instrument separation is also good. For the price the M-80 is a very good headphone. It's not the most detailed I've heard but it was never designed to be. It's a very very good sounding entry level can that is very sonically capable and competes very well against other bassy cans in it's price range. Bass is very punchy and can slam very very well. It's bass is where it shines the most in my opinion with it's mids not far behind. If your ears are sensitive to high frequencies then the M-80 highs might be for you. Personally, I like my highs with more shimmer and bite so for me the M-80 highs leave me wanting. That being said this can brings enough to the table in that I can still continue to enjoy music on it highs or no highs.

The M-100 has a more energetic and extended top end and a far more deeper sounding low end. The bass is quite forward (think powerful) and due to that the treble in comparison can sound a little distant at times. That being said I find the highs more to my liking and rate it far better then the M-80 highs. The mids are more laid back (especially the lower mids) compared to the more linear sounding M-80. Detail and sound stage wise the M-100 has far more of it when compared to it's M-80 little brother. I'm not fond of using it to listen to rock (I don't like my rock overly bassy) but in my opinion it crushes a lot of other headphones when it involves the various electronica genres and modern pop. I've kept an eye on this thread over the last few weeks and I've noticed the odd passers by have commented that the M-80 has more bass. To my ears nothing could be further from the truth. The M-80 bass extends nowhere near as deep as the M-100 which has a full three bass ( upper bass, mid bass, lower bass) hit while the M-80 sounds more like a two hit bass due to it's far less bass extension. Impact I would also rate the M-100 ahead of the M-80.

Some things both of these headphones share in common is they're not audiophile cans, they're not studio monitors, they're not neutral, and they're not giant killers. What they are is extremely fun to listen to and will make you want to bop your head to your music.

This is only my view of coarse and I'm sure others on here could/will disagree with my view which is perfectly fine. I suggest if anyone is unsure about which one to buy they look around a bit, or at the very least research more online, and try and find a place where they can demo both cans before they buy. If you don't mind paying shipping costs on a return V-MODA does have their 60 day test drive no questions asked return policy so you'll get the vast majority of your money back if any of these two cans don't work out for you. Just thought I'd throw that in so potential buyers who are on the fence on which can to buy could mull over.

As an after thought something else I'd like to add, I've also had various PM's concerning the paper towel mod. For those interested there's more then enough info on this thread from both me miceblue and LeonDota and others detailing how to do it. Granted this is a very long thread but with a little patience using the thread search function anyone interested in that information should be able to find it within 5 or 10 minutes. I suggest to especially pay special attention to miceblue's posts on the paper towel mod because he has posted quite a few detailed posts with pictures showing exactly how to do it. Truth be known it's not rocket science and a little patience and trial and error and anyone should be able to find the sweet spot as far as modding the cups is concerned.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #11,876 of 23,366
So I haven't been seeing much in the way of FS ads for M-100s on Head-Fi since it came out - if anything, I've been seeing a lot of WTBs. Are folks here really that satisfied with it? No FOTM factor?
tongue.gif
I'm probably going to buy my own pretty soon. I really liked it at RMAF last year and would like to give it a formal spin.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #11,877 of 23,366
So I haven't been seeing much in the way of FS ads for M-100s on Head-Fi since it came out - if anything, I've been seeing a lot of WTBs. Are folks here really that satisfied with it? No FOTM factor? :p I'm probably going to buy my own pretty soon. I really liked it at RMAF last year and would like to give it a formal spin.
I think there's been a few but moving to rather different headphones rather than competing ones. Also few for sale only cos V-Moda accepts returns (most suitable for local US residents but somewhat more costly for overseas M-100 owners).

I'm actually using my M-100 now & despite how I think the Signature DJ is sonically superior (so's the cost by at least 2.5-3x :wink:), I've been satisfied with my M-100. It survived a frozen lake afterall!!

Edit: possibly after winter is done, you may see more for sale & M-80s back in demand?

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #11,878 of 23,366
I haven't had that before. That sounds like something is wrong with the driver, if not the song itself. Does it happen only during a specific part of a song, or is it throughout the whole thing?

If it's a bass issue, you can always generate single sine wave tones, or a low-frequency sweep/chirp in Audacity to see if it really is the headphone itself.

it only do it when the bass goes really low and the volume of above 90% how can I wave tone or the sweep?

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #11,879 of 23,366
Quote:
it only do it when the bass goes really low and the volume of above 90% how can I wave tone or the sweep?

You sure it's just not a piece of hair vibrating? I often have that issue with my Q40 as the hair pierces so easily the foam, have to clean the driver protective enclosure quite often due to stuck hair vibrating with very deep bass because I'm using a digiZoid ZO2.1 which brings such a powerful bass (ampless it probably wouldn't be heard too often).

The bass in this short intro (first 10 secs) I've found especially great to point out that issue. :p

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #11,880 of 23,366
Quote:
does anyone have somewhat a popping noise in one of their driver when listening to heavy bass songs?

Maybe yours is faulty, but one thing I did take notice of is the mic cable can cause problems with some gear; particularly, if using a 1/4" extension that blends the mic and right channel pins together.
Quote:
So I haven't been seeing much in the way of FS ads for M-100s on Head-Fi since it came out - if anything, I've been seeing a lot of WTBs. Are folks here really that satisfied with it? No FOTM factor?
tongue.gif
I'm probably going to buy my own pretty soon. I really liked it at RMAF last year and would like to give it a formal spin.

Keep in mind that V-Moda has a 60 day satisfaction guarantee. That gives people plenty of time to wrestle with the idea of returning or keeping the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back