V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #11,881 of 23,366
Quote:
Maybe yours is faulty, but one thing I did take notice of is the mic cable can cause problems with some gear; particularly, if using a 1/4" extension that blends the mic and right channel pins together.
Keep in mind that V-Moda has a 60 day satisfaction guarantee. That gives people plenty of time to wrestle with the idea of returning or keeping the headphones.

It's a very good headphone.  I'd say it's a very FUN headphone.  It's extremely portable, has a lot of nifty features, and has some cool warranties covering it... on the website it says something along the lines of, "If you do manage to run over your V-MODA M-100s with a tank, send them back to us and we'll put 50% of the value towards a new pair."

That's pretty cool.  These are not audiophile headphones by anymeans, but I own the TH-900s and I absolutely love the M-100s.  They keep me company when I can't get my Fostex fix.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #11,882 of 23,366
Quote:

It's a very good headphone.  I'd say it's a very FUN headphone.  It's extremely portable, has a lot of nifty features, and has some cool warranties covering it... on the website it says something along the lines of, "If you do manage to run over your V-MODA M-100s with a tank, send them back to us and we'll put 50% of the value towards a new pair."

That's pretty cool.  These are not audiophile headphones by anymeans, but I own the TH-900s and I absolutely love the M-100s.  They keep me company when I can't get my Fostex fix.

That is quite an endorsement considering your collection and reinforces my thoughts on the M-100.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #11,883 of 23,366
To me though since I haven't had anything more detailed, the M-100s do sound like an audiophile set, but only because my headphone range hasn't been been all that large. I can't honestly see though after using the M-100s with the mod and a bass reduction how a headphone could honestly be better in terms of detailing ability. 
I may need to buy myself a set of HD650s you know... 

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #11,884 of 23,366
Quote:
That is quite an endorsement considering your collection and reinforces my thoughts on the M-100.

Meanwhile: on the other side of the spectrum, I still dislike them
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #11,885 of 23,366
Quote:
To me though since I haven't had anything more detailed, the M-100s do sound like an audiophile set, but only because my headphone range hasn't been been all that large. I can't honestly see though after using the M-100s with the mod and a bass reduction how a headphone could honestly be better in terms of detailing ability. 

Headphones with a treble tilt, more transparent midrange and neutral bass tend to have much more detail (AKA analytical headphones). AKG K 701 and Shure SRH940 for example, both of which I own and like; or something like the HD800, KRK KNS 8400 or AKG K 550 if you can get a good seal on it. XD

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't had that before. That sounds like something is wrong with the driver, if not the song itself. Does it happen only during a specific part of a song, or is it throughout the whole thing?

If it's a bass issue, you can always generate single sine wave tones, or a low-frequency sweep/chirp in Audacity to see if it really is the headphone itself.

it only do it when the bass goes really low and the volume of above 90% how can I wave tone or the sweep?

• Download and install Audacity if you haven't done so already (it's a free program available for Linux, Mac, and Windows)
  • Open Audacity
  • Tracks -> Add New -> Stereo Track
  • Generate -> Chirp
  • Waveform (set as Sine), Frequency (start at 15 Hz and end at, say, 150 Hz), Amplitude should be OK at the default 0.8-0.1, Interpolation Linear, set the Duration for as long as you want the sweep to last
  • Press OK
  • Play the file with the play arrow at the top-left of the window
  • File -> Export if you want to save the frequency sweep on your computer

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #11,886 of 23,366
Nope, no popping here. Not encountered it

EDIT:

I do need some help though. I'm not sure if its the closed nature of the phones, but I don't listen to music particularly loud, yet, when wearing the M-100's I can feel at times after about 30 minutes to an hour my left ear feeling like it is tensing up. Like a muscle is closing or something, and I believe its my ear trying to protect itself.

Could this be because the M-100's are closed and so is pressurising my ear more than an open set would do? I never encountered this issue with my PX-100's as an example at the same volume levels.

I did have something worrying happen a few minutes ago though. I was listening to Nightwish - Imaginarium (The Score) - Dare To Enter at the end, (and it just happened again without anything playing... :frowning2: ), and there is this major sub bass drop at the end. If you listen to it, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Well, I was listening with my standard volume levels, and I even showed my sister and my dad the drop, and whilst showing my dad, my right ear suddenly numbed, and sound degraded. Then it appeared to be fine, and it just happened again as I stated.

http://youtu.be/w2QbYjCuVQg?t=1m23s

It happens at 1.38 in, and even my sub can't reproduce it properly, yet the headphones can.

Not had that happen before, ever.

Could it be the extra pressure being sent through the headphones than a normal pair would make? Or should I go to the doctors for possible hearing issues? (I've never had any in the past), and I seriously do not listen to my music all that loud.
I'd be worried if the bass could go any stronger than it is now.

EDIT:

Just happened again. The ear suddenly sounds off, and I hear a fuzz, then it appears to return to normal.

I do have a chest virus, and I hope they are somewhat linked...it feels so weird.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #11,887 of 23,366
Quote:

Quote:
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Headphones with a treble tilt, more transparent midrange and neutral bass tend to have much more detail (AKA analytical headphones). AKG K 701 and Shure SRH940 for example, both of which I own and like; or something like the HD800, KRK KNS 8400 or AKG K 550 if you can get a good seal on it. XD

I think that a highly detailed/analytical sound is more personal preference than an end-game goal which is probably why I don't like AKG, Grado or Beyers.  Conversely, I can see why someone who is a "detail monster" wouldn't like the strategic coloration and smoothness of the M-100.  I also think portable listening and home listening are two different experiences that almost require owning more than one headphone to be satisfied.  The M-100 works for me as both and I have yet to hear a more enjoyable headphone for portable listening than the M-100, but I can understand how one could have a different preference for home listening, especially for trebleheads.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #11,889 of 23,366
Quote:

The durability is great on these but I cant. seem to get over the fact that the paint on the metal comes off so easily in these, it's my 3rd day with then, I've kept them in the case when not in use, and I hadn't even taken them outside yet

I had that same problem with my Matte versions. I have since ordered a white pair. I think they may not have this issue since they are not painted.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #11,890 of 23,366
Quote:
The durability is great on these but I cant. seem to get over the fact that the paint on the metal comes off so easily in these, it's my 3rd day with then, I've kept them in the case when not in use, and I hadn't even taken them outside yet

Hmm... my shadows (same paint on the metal) hasn't got any paint coming off, and I've been out with them, and don't tend to put them in the case, and have had them since December.

I've always found if you baby something, they actually come out worse, however weird that seems.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #11,891 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

I think that a highly detailed/analytical sound is more personal preference than an end-game goal which is probably why I don't like AKG, Grado or Beyers.  Conversely, I can see why someone who is a "detail monster" wouldn't like the strategic coloration and smoothness of the M-100.  I also think portable listening and home listening are two different experiences that almost require owning more than one headphone to be satisfied.  The M-100 works for me as both and I have yet to hear a more enjoyable headphone for portable listening than the M-100, but I can understand how one could have a different preference for home listening, especially for trebleheads.

Mhmm true true. I was just stating that there are more detailed headphones out there, sound signatures aside. If you like the M-100's you'll probably like the HD650's and LCD-2 in the long-run. Ironically enough, I don't like the two very much and I prefer the sound of the HD800 and SR-007, which have more of an airy, analytical sound to them....but this is all summit-fi and I won't be going in that area for a long while.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Nope, no popping here. Not encountered it

EDIT:

I do need some help though. I'm not sure if its the closed nature of the phones, but I don't listen to music particularly loud, yet, when wearing the M-100's I can feel at times after about 30 minutes to an hour my left ear feeling like it is tensing up. Like a muscle is closing or something, and I believe its my ear trying to protect itself.

Could this be because the M-100's are closed and so is pressurising my ear more than an open set would do? I never encountered this issue with my PX-100's as an example at the same volume levels.

I did have something worrying happen a few minutes ago though. I was listening to Nightwish - Imaginarium (The Score) - Dare To Enter at the end, (and it just happened again without anything playing... :frowning2: ), and there is this major sub bass drop at the end. If you listen to it, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Well, I was listening with my standard volume levels, and I even showed my sister and my dad the drop, and whilst showing my dad, my right ear suddenly numbed, and sound degraded. Then it appeared to be fine, and it just happened again as I stated.

http://youtu.be/w2QbYjCuVQg?t=1m23s

It happens at 1.38 in, and even my sub can't reproduce it properly, yet the headphones can.

Not had that happen before, ever.

Could it be the extra pressure being sent through the headphones than a normal pair would make? Or should I go to the doctors for possible hearing issues? (I've never had any in the past), and I seriously do not listen to my music all that loud.
I'd be worried if the bass could go any stronger than it is now.

EDIT:

Just happened again. The ear suddenly sounds off, and I hear a fuzz, then it appears to return to normal.

I do have a chest virus, and I hope they are somewhat linked...it feels so weird.

That doesn't sound too good. My ears get fatigued after using the SRH940 at medium volume levels on the bus, but I always thought it was because of the non-sibilant treble peaks. Maybe you should check up with a doctor if it persists for a few more days (or maybe it's because of the chest virus).

As for the Nightwish track (which isn't on their Imaginaerum album until I realised you said Imaginaerum (The Score)) yeah I hear the bass drop, but I can also hear it quite clearly on my $20 Sennheiser earphones. That sub[bass]-woofer you've got there is in need of a doctor too if it can't reproduce it. XD

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #11,893 of 23,366
Quote:
Mhmm true true. I was just stating that there are more detailed headphones out there, sound signatures aside. If you like the M-100's you'll probably like the HD650's and LCD-2 in the long-run. Ironically enough, I don't like the two very much and I prefer the sound of the HD800 and SR-007, which have more of an airy, analytical sound to them....but this is all summit-fi and I won't be going in that area for a long while.
tongue_smile.gif

That doesn't sound too good. My ears get fatigued after using the SRH940 at medium volume levels on the bus, but I always thought it was because of the non-sibilant treble peaks. Maybe you should check up with a doctor if it persists for a few more days (or maybe it's because of the chest virus).

As for the Nightwish track (which isn't on their Imaginaerum album until I realised you said Imaginaerum (The Score)) yeah I hear the bass drop, but I can also hear it quite clearly on my $20 Sennheiser earphones. That sub[bass]-woofer you've got there is in need of a doctor too if it can't reproduce it. XD

Found out it can produce it, but the Youtube link doesn't reproduce it as well as when I played it on Spotify. The bass breaks up a lot more on the Youtube link.
I was using Spotify for the headphone comparison.

I'm pretty sure my PX-100 Sennheisers wouldn't have produced the bass as low and as clear as the M-100's did. I can't test it either since one side died :frowning2:

Yeah, I hope it is the chest virus, but the headphones seem to keep doing that to my left ear either way. It does really feel like it is physically closing up.
i.e muscles in the ear can close to protect you from high sounds, but seeing as I'm not listening at high enough volumes I wouldn't have thought to make this happen...
Especially as it usually happens at night whilst in bed listening, where I have the volume half of what I would have it in the day.

I just wondered if maybe the closed nature of the headphones could be causing some kind of... pressure embalance of some kind my ears aren't acustomed too, so my brain is trying to protect them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back