V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 26, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #11,836 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Magni should be OK with the M-100, but you might have background hiss and louder volume (so just turn down the volume knob, unless you get the channel imbalance from the potentiometer).

E09k is meant to drive higher impedance headphones so you won't get the magic #8 damping factor (headphone impedance / amp output impedance). A damping factor less than 8 makes changes in the output signal that are audible and the E09k's frequency response has a bass and treble roll-off according to Voldemort's measurements.
I'm assuming you meant the E09k when you mentioned the E07k, but the E07k has a low output impedance.

O2 works beautifully with the M-100 and has an low output impedance so you'll get well beyond the magic #8 damping factor.

What about the e11? Its all I got.

E11 should be fine. Many have reported it sounds good with the M-100's too.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #11,839 of 23,366
Quote:
Magni should be OK with the M-100, but you might have background hiss and louder volume (so just turn down the volume knob, unless you get the channel imbalance from the potentiometer).

E09k is meant to drive higher impedance headphones so you won't get the magic #8 damping factor (headphone impedance / amp output impedance; 32Ω / 10Ω = 3.2). A damping factor less than 8 makes changes in the output signal that are audible (AKA colouration) and the E09k's frequency response has a bass and treble roll-off according to Voldemort's measurements.
I'm assuming you meant the E09k when you mentioned the E07k, but the E07k has a low output impedance.

O2 works beautifully with the M-100 and has an low output impedance so you'll get well beyond the magic #8 damping factor.

I am truly torn between the M&M stack or the O2+ODAC stack. for basically $70 cheaper, I think I may have to go with Magni and Modi, and the fact that It will prbably be very good forwhen I decide to purchase some harder to drive cans. Also miceblue, have you heard anything about people saying that when listening to 16/44.1 music with the M&M stack you can set the computer volume to 25% and that allows you to have more control when using the Magni's Volume pot. Also I heard that because the Modi is a 24/96 DAC so you pay no sonic penalties for reducing your computer volume to 25% because of the 8 leftover bits. Can you enlighten me on the science of this?

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #11,840 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

E09k is meant to drive higher impedance headphones so you won't get the magic #8 damping factor (headphone impedance / amp output impedance; 32Ω / 10Ω = 3.2). A damping factor less than 8 makes changes in the output signal that are audible (AKA colouration) and the E09k's frequency response has a bass and treble roll-off according to Voldemort's measurements.

I am truly torn between the M&M stack or the O2+ODAC stack. for basically $70 cheaper, I think I may have to go with Magni and Modi, and the fact that It will prbably be very good forwhen I decide to purchase some harder to drive cans. Also miceblue, have you heard anything about people saying that when listening to 16/44.1 music with the M&M stack you can set the computer volume to 25% and that allows you to have more control when using the Magni's Volume pot. Also I heard that because the Modi is a 24/96 DAC so you pay no sonic penalties for reducing your computer volume to 25% because of the 8 leftover bits. Can you enlighten me on the science of this?

Yeah this is more of a sound science technical question, but the benefits you mention with the Modi are in the same with the ODAC. Basically 24-bit resolution DACs via USB allow you to adjust your source's digital volume level without losing resolution due to its higher dynamic range (is called bit-perfect audio?).

I'm not sure about the technical details of the Magni and its volume control but if the Modi has 24-bit resolution over USB, the source's volume can be lowered and volume can be better controlled. Ideally the source should be at a high volume level and the volume is adjusted through the amp. Again this is a really technical question and I'm not 100% sure on this stuff. Most of this is fairly new to me too and I should really read-up on this stuff on Voldemort's blog.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #11,843 of 23,366
Quote:
If anyone is curious about the sonic potential of the M-100 when paired with a quality amp, here is a review I 2nd based on my experience with Vamp vs. E11 and ZO2.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-pha-1-headphone-amp/reviews/8337

Even thought the Vamp will be made for the M100s, I am waiting on this Sony to really hit the states. Most Sony stuff is out of this world quality but usually sees some serious discounts after a while. I might wait this one out since it will offer iDevice compatibility as well. My hope is they get down into the $300 range on an Amazon deal or something. Patience is a virtue.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #11,844 of 23,366
I turned the bass all the way up on my phone, and then when I get a little too loud, there's a tiny crack in the sound that it sound like if the headphones were shaking but it's just the drivers, is that the max bass for the lp?

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #11,845 of 23,366
I turned the bass all the way up on my phone, and then when I get a little too loud, there's a tiny crack in the sound that it sound like if the headphones were shaking but it's just the drivers, is that the max bass for the m-100?

Would probably more likely be due to your phone and the built-in amp clipping. Aka the bass is trying to go "louder" than your phone can output. Even a cheap FiiO E6 ought to help prevent this, somewhat.

Just a guess though, I'm not there hearing what you're hearing.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #11,846 of 23,366
Quote:
I turned the bass all the way up on my phone, and then when I get a little too loud, there's a tiny crack in the sound that it sound like if the headphones were shaking but it's just the drivers, is that the max bass for the m-100?

Quote:
Would probably more likely be due to your phone and the built-in amp clipping. Aka the bass is trying to go "louder" than your phone can output. Even a cheap FiiO E6 ought to help prevent this, somewhat.

Just a guess though, I'm not there hearing what you're hearing.

Agree with Evshrug.  As far as my Iphone goes, I know it doesn't have the power to max out the M-100.  The only time I pushed the M-100 drivers too far was when I double amped with E11 and ZO2, but that was asking for trouble.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #11,848 of 23,366
Just a little FYI for those who want the PHA-1 but don't want to spend ~$460. 

amazon.co.jp offers a rediculous amount of Japanese made electronics at much lower cost than North America, and a lot more stuff than most would imagine.

But for all intents and purposes, the PHA-1 is $376 CAD (34,000 JPY) and Tenso forwarding service will allow you to get stuff ordered from Amazon Japan shipped to wherever you are. So you can save a whole bunch of money buying Japanese made products this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back