V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #5,806 of 23,366
-

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #5,807 of 23,366
As if the M/VTF-100's didn't have enough competition, SONY now has the MDR-1R's, and Sennheiser now has the MOMENTUM's.. 

It'll be interesting to see which headphone wins for the best all-around portable audiophile can. I've ordered my M-100's, but I am going to be keeping my eyes on the other two as well. I have t say - I like the sleek-ish look of both the MOMENTUM and the MDR-1R's.

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #5,811 of 23,366
Quote:
Haha yeah I be a bra, bro! And I totally agree with your sentiments - very nicely stated about the headphone market lately and how old or not so great cans being put into a pretty package for a hefty price tag. And as much as I love the HD25 (it's got a soft spot in my heart) it is dated and has its imperfections. As soon as I heard Senn was recycling HD drivers, or a variation of them, into the Momentum... well the momentum of my interest went south. I'll still keep tabs on them just out of curiosity but if I want a headphone that sounds like the HD25, I'll save my wallet more pain and stick with my good ol' HDs.
With that said, it gives me even more appreciation for Val's and V-MODA's efforts for reaching out to the community, getting our feedback, and fine-tuning the sound of their cans which IMO are very reasonably priced. When I first heard the M-80s I could hear in the innovation. I'm really looking forward to the M-100. You can't help but love a company which keeps growing and going forward with their SQ.

Thanks dudette
biggrin.gif

Just to further clarify some things for everyone on the thread I'm not trying to bash Sennheiser. If truth be known I think they're a solid company. The problem I'm seeing as far as I'm concerned is there seems to be no real movement innovation wise in some area's of the market. The HD25 is one of my favorite headphones but it's drivers and the technology behind it is dated. It's been over 2 decades since it was first released and since then all I've seen from Sennheiser on the HD25 front is rebadged form factors using the same drivers. I have no doubt the Amperion is a nice sounding headphone but the naked truth is it's only a slightly tweaked HD25 with a prettier form factor with a larger price tag. After two decades I would think Sennheiser would have far more up their sleeves then 2 decade old drivers with some tweaking and a cosmetic makeover. Yes the HD25 is a very good sounding headphone but after 2 decades is it to much to ask that Sennheiser invest some time and money into R&D and come out with a better driver that could possibly give the end user a different audio experience and supplant their mobile can flagship? I really don't think it's to much to ask and if anything I think it's the consumers right to demand it from a company especially if they like the company. If Sennheiser and others want to put out a 4 to 500 mobile headphone my feeling is please do and I'll gladly buy it. All I'm asking in return is they put out a headphone that's worth the premium not a rebadged headphone with tweeked drivers that was being used 2 decades ago. They want to charge a premium for a good sounding product I'll gladly pay it as long as the sound knocks my socks off I'll gladly pay the premium. Just please don't insult my intelligence with a lot of glitter. That kind of approach in the long run will only lead to a company losing loyal customers.

Peace out and God bless

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #5,812 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks dudette
biggrin.gif

Just to further clarify some things for everyone on the thread I'm not trying to bash Sennheiser. If truth be known I think they're a solid company. The problem I'm seeing as far as I'm concerned is there seems to be no real movement innovation wise in some area's of the market. The HD25 is one of my favorite headphones but it's drivers and the technology behind it is dated. It's been over 2 decades since it was first released and since then all I've seen from Sennheiser on the HD25 front is rebadged form factors using the same drivers. I have no doubt the Amperion is a nice sounding headphone but the naked truth is it's only a slightly tweaked HD25 with a prettier form factor with a larger price tag. After two decades I would think Sennheiser would have far more up their sleeves then 2 decade old drivers with some tweaking and a cosmetic makeover. Yes the HD25 is a very good sounding headphone but after 2 decades is it to much to ask that Sennheiser invest some time and money into R&D and come out with a better driver that could possibly give the end user a different audio experience and supplant their mobile can flagship? I really don't think it's to much to ask and if anything I think it's the consumers right to demand it from a company especially if they like the company. If Sennheiser and others want to put out a 4 to 500 mobile headphone my feeling is please do and I'll gladly buy it. All I'm asking in return is they put out a headphone that's worth the premium not a rebadged headphone with tweeked drivers that was being used 2 decades ago. They want to charge a premium for a good sounding product I'll gladly pay it as long as the sound knocks my socks off I'll gladly pay the premium. Just please don't insult my intelligence with a lot of glitter. That kind of approach in the long run will only lead to a company losing loyal customers.

Peace out and God bless

but.. they do?
HD518/558/598's mark a substantial improvement over their predecessors. not to mention, the 555/595 are just about a decade old. Also, the HD700's just came out not too long ago. I understand a lot of people have been complaining that they seem to reuse the same drivers, and they have been guilty of stimulating the market with rehashed products.. But if it's one thing I've learned from Sennheiser, it's that micro-tuning can have a profound impact on sound. Well, that, and they make insanely good drivers(to be using them for decades).
I feel like people here have recognized the dramatic improvement V-Moda has made over the years, and may be expecting well established companies to acheive a similar breakthrough leap. Truth be told, they've already gone through their teething, and have yielded very good results. Keep in mind, Sennheiser and BeyerDynamic has covered the market quite well (ranging up to 1k+ HiFi sound), where V-Moda is still doing their mid-fi thing.

That said, I cant wait to see what V-Moda has in store. If the M-100's can compete with $300 headphones like the 598's, D2k and DT880's, while satisfying the portable market, then I have no problem throwing them my money
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #5,814 of 23,366
Quote:
but.. they do?
HD518/558/598's mark a substantial improvement over their predecessors. not to mention, the 555/595 are just about a decade old. Also, the HD700's just came out not too long ago. I understand a lot of people have been complaining that they seem to reuse the same drivers, and they have been guilty of stimulating the market with rehashed products.. But if it's one thing I've learned from Sennheiser, it's that micro-tuning can have a profound impact on sound. Well, that, and they make insanely good drivers(to be using them for decades).
I feel like people here have recognized the dramatic improvement V-Moda has made over the years, and may be expecting well established companies to acheive a similar breakthrough leap. Truth be told, they've already gone through their teething, and have yielded very good results. Keep in mind, Sennheiser and BeyerDynamic has covered the market quite well (ranging up to 1k+ HiFi sound), where V-Moda is still doing their mid-fi thing.

That said, I cant wait to see what V-Moda has in store. If the M-100's can compete with $300 headphones like the 598's, D2k and DT880's, while satisfying the portable market, then I have no problem throwing them my money
biggrin.gif

That's the general problem, micro tuning or tweeking doesn't equate to innovating it only equates to tweeking. Listen I'm not trying to be a hardass all I'm saying is if you're going to put out a product with a premium price tag it should be for a reason not because you tweeked it a little with 20 bucks worth of dampening material and decided to up the price 150 bones. Tweeking can only take you so far. As consumers we should demand more besides tweeking. By the way I'm talking about the HD25 not the 595 or 598. I see I'm in the minority involving my feelings on the market and tweeking.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #5,816 of 23,366
Back from electric zoo and heres a bit of news, tiestos moving to newyork so you will probably see him jogging around central park and he could be wearing a pair of m100s with the vamp!

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #5,818 of 23,366
Quote:
Had a dream that I received a PRE-production VTF-100, and was as wowed by the sound as AnakChan. Every part of the frequency sounded as it should. Suffice to say, the wait is killing me.
On another note, I had asked this before but I'll ask again. Can anyone tell me of there will be a silver trim on the Shadow M-100? In earlier photos with the prototype it did, however in some promo photos I haven't seen the silver trim. Reason I ask is because this will be the deciding factor if I go Matte or Shadow.

Hope this partially answers your question (courtesy of V-Moda's twitpic). Just not on the shadow though  :-

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #5,820 of 23,366
Apologies if my formatting is confusing, bolded content is my response to issues raised by scrypt

Also, here is my original post that scrypt is responding to:

I won't be wasting my money on Momentum since they are using the, IMO, dated HD25 drivers inside (same as Amperior).  These sound okay, but they lack detail and sub bass.  Funny how Momentum is described as having an "industrial" design which is really out of the box for Sennheiser.  I have a theory (just a theory) that Sennheiser wanted to rush something to market to compete with the M-100 right before the M-100 launch.  The response to my theory has been that Sennheiser is so big, they don't pay attention to V-Moda....don't believe it. 

There are several headphones in the $350 range that best the Amperior and Momentum uses the same driver.  I'm still anxiously waiting for my VTF-100.

Quote:
No need to give a backhanded compliment to one company by trashing another.  

If you're basing your idea of a good house sound on the history of each company -- Sennheiser vs. V-Moda -- then I'd have to say that Sennheiser has the better track record.   
I agree with this statement and recognize that Sennheiser is arguably responsible for more innovation in the headphone industry with a long and respected history of innovation and going where no headphone has gone before (yes, that is a Star Trek reference).  This is why I am stating my frustration that Sennheiser would, IMO, take the lazy route of repurposing and old driver that is decent, but not great, in a headphone like Momentum and Amperior that looks like it has innovative design.  These are premium portables with a premium pricetag.  It feels like they are taking a 1970's GTO engine and placing inside a new Ferrari (I am not a car enthusiast, so I hope the examples I am using for analogy purposes makes sense).  Some people might think that would be amazing, but there has been enough innovation regarding engine design that the Ferrari needs to be re-engineered from the ground up for the best combination of looks and performance.  While indicating that my opinion on the HD25 drivers was in the minority, you can see from subsequent posts that others share at least some aspects of my opinion.

V-Moda's hunger to grow and succeed is driving them towards innovation in the mid-range headphone segment which they seem to have identified as their primary market at present. I don't feel I am blindly singing V-Moda's praises as I have also been critical of the delayed release dates.  I will take what you have said to heart and listen to Momentum and M-100 before commenting further on their sound.

It's the extra aspects of the M-80 -- the craftsmanship, the case, the design, the extras, the customization aspect -- that make it a fun headphone to own in combination with its quite good but not stellar sound signature.  

I am not an engineer in a studio and not a DJ.  The only reason I wear headphones is for fun.

Personal taste is the wrong reason to talk someone else out of buying the headphones that will make them the happiest.  
I have no vested interest in talking someone into or out of a headphone other than I don't like to waste my money and don't want other people to waste theirs.  I preface nearly every opinion with IMO or IMHO because it is just that, my opinion.  I don't shout from the rooftops that I have golden ears and everyone should do what I say.    I don't think anyone here buys headphones on one opinion (unless they are looking for any reason to justify a purchase).  I think it is the collective opinions of those we find with similar sonic tastes that leads to a purchase. I'm just a guy who has a passion for music and great sound and would like to think that some others hear and feel music the same way I do.  (Thank you to DigitalFreak and RPGWIZaRD for assisting with my decision to save my money on Skullcandy Mixmasters)  Also, if we don't express our opinions and make the case for our statements in an attempt to persuade others to our point of view, then what IS the point of any forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back