V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #5,791 of 23,366
We all have different ears and different tastes. IMO the M-80s are a very groovy headphone in every sense of the word. They're fun. They have a good soundstage for a small supra-aural, are nice all-rounders and to my ears they are resolving with an unfatiguing sound sig. I've been impressed by them and it's why I'm looking forward to the M-100. That said, I wouldn't call myself a fangirl of any company - just a fan of good headphones (to my ears). Again YMMV as we all have our own taste.

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #5,792 of 23,366
I'd see it more like audiophiles liking the M80 and non-audiophiles that craves sparkle which doesn't exist in real-life dislike the M80. Look at LCD2, M80 are definitely not darker sounding, maybe slightly brighter. I personally don't want excess sparkle which I don't hear in my everyday life either, but I guess some people find realistic timbre boring cuz they hear it all the time. :p

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #5,793 of 23,366
Quote:
I'd see it more like audiophiles liking the M80 and non-audiophiles that craves sparkle which doesn't exist in real-life dislike the M80. Look at LCD2, M80 are definitely not darker sounding, maybe slightly brighter. I personally don't want excess sparkle which I don't hear in my everyday life either, but I guess some people find realistic timbre boring cuz they hear it all the time. :p

I dunno, if you ask me quite a few audiophiles seem to prefer the sparklier treble.  I think a lot of them are probably older and suffer from bad high frequency hearing loss. :p

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #5,794 of 23,366
Read about the Senns... but I'm actually more excited about the new Sony's!!! ohhh brown and silver/gray combination... how I want them...

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #5,795 of 23,366
I too read about the new headphone that will gain Sennheiser some MOMENTUM.....jokes aside, I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I wasn't too fond of the HD25-i-ii's sound and from the reviews on the Amperior, it seems that it's not worth the $150+ price spike. Will the Momentum be any different? Perhaps.

Regardless, I am set on the VTF/M-100 simply because it's far more portable in terms of storage. I lug around my MacBook with me to school nearly every day, so having a "large", non-foldable headphone like the Momentum isn't in my favor. Sure I actually like the design of the Momentum more than the flashy M-100, and sure Sennheiser has the upper-hand when it comes to sound quality R&D, but for my purposes, I think the M-100 will better suite my needs.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #5,796 of 23,366
Sad to say, I've been looking around for my Crossfades, but they're completely AWOL. Checked my room (under bed, closet, all bags, cabinets, and even drawers), living room, basement, car, grandparents, girlfriend's, friends that live an hour & a half away that I sometimes visit...

I have a feeling they'll show up some place absurd once I move out. All I have left, in the meantime, is the Velcro pouch with iPhone cable, and the retail box :frowning2:

Oh, and for any of the gamers who came out of the wood works when we talked about mics, check out my review of the Recon3D sound processor:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/creative-sound-blaster-recon3d-thx-usb-external-sound-enhancer-for-pc-ps3-xbox-360-and-mac-sb1300/reviews/7395

A comment would leave me happy ^_^

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #5,797 of 23,366
Quote:
On an unrelated note, does anyone have any thoughts on Skullcandy Mixmasters?

Yeah, save your money they're terrible both sound and form factor wise. Some people seem to like them and they do sound better then most of the Skullcandy offerings. Considering most of Skullcandy's products sound and are built like crap though that doesn't say much. If you're curious give them a listen they may appeal to you. To me they were terrible but that's just my opinion YMMV.
Quote:
No need to give a backhanded compliment to one company by trashing another.  

Yes, that's been your opinion from the beginning, but that opinion seems based as much on preconceptions about "datedness" and modern sound as on facts.  The fact is that the HD-25 is used widely for reference purposes and that makes it more useful for me (for one) than the M-80 and, by extension, possibly the M-100.  Sound quality isn't fashion, so I'm not sure how "datedness" applies.  Most DJs spin vinyl and vinyl is a pre-digital medium.  Is it dated?

Profiles can be incomplete, but if yours is up to date, it looks as though you've never owned a pair of V-Moda headphones.  Personally, I've owned two different models so far and I'm not as quick to condemn Sennheiser as you.  Of the various Sennheiser models I've owned over the years -- HD270, HD280 Pro, HD580 and HD600 -- only one proved to be disappointing and the rest ranged from good to excellent.  Of the two V-Modas I've owned so far, one was incredibly disappointing and the other (which I still own) is good.  Likewise, the HD-25s are a better fit sonically for my personal use (though not necessarily others') than the M-80.   

Of course, this is only my opinion.

If you're basing your idea of a good house sound on the history of each company -- Sennheiser vs. V-Moda -- then I'd have to say that Sennheiser has the better track record. 

It's the extra aspects of the M-80 -- the craftsmanship, the case, the design, the extras, the customization aspect -- that make it a fun headphone to own in combination with its quite good but not stellar sound signature.  

I appreciate the fact you didn't like the sound of your Amperiors enough to keep them. But why presume the Momentum is beneath everyone's interest just because you personally didn't like the Amperiors?  And why repeat the mantra that the HD-25s and the Amperiors lack detail?  Doing a quick search on Head-fi, I find that you seem to be one of the only people who feels that way.  |Joker| doesn't agree with you at all.  In fact, most evaluations I've read do not agree.  That doesn't mean you're wrong, but it also shows you're not necessarily right.

Here's |Joker| on the HD25's level of detail (and he's an engineer who's heard a lot more headphones than either of us):

In your favor, he does say this:

You have every right to assert your feelings about what you perceive as a lack of detail, but why treat it as a fact, especially when so many variables are in play (amp, source, sound files, hearing, tastes, potentially misleading contrasts, personal definitions of detail)?  There's a reason most of us qualify our opinions as such:

Personal taste is the wrong reason to talk someone else out of buying the headphones that will make them the happiest.

In the interests of sincere enterprise, effort, integrity and Valiant intentions, I'd like to believe that the M-100s will lay waste to everything in their price range.  But historically, the most reliable company of the two in terms of sound is still Sennheiser -- not just twenty years ago, but two years ago as well.

Go and listen to the HD580, 600 and 650 and HD800.  Then listen to the LP and M-80.  Then come back and tell us what a disappointing company Sennheiser is in comparison to V-Moda.  If V-Moda is the company we both think it is, then it doesn't need backhanded compliments.  It needs practical feedback and brutal honesty.  

After all, without the reaction against the LPs, we might not have had the M-80s, which means we wouldn't be expecting the M-100s.

With all due respect I have to agree with Craigster, the HD25 is a dated headphone. You go on the Amperion thread and you will run across enough seasoned head-fiers saying it isn't worth the extra bones in comparison to the HD25. I do agree with you as far as feedback is concerned and being brutally honest about it.

The market over the last little while is starting to show it's true colors. The new Denon line from what I've researched and the information I've gleamed from seasoned head-fiers are a complete joke. The D600 from what I've read may not be a bad headphone but the D7100 should be considered a slap in the face to the intelligence of the consumer. Of coarse I'd have to be a fool to only mention Denon or Sennheiser. Let's throw in another name such as the oh so prestigious B&W. I love B&W and have no qualms saying I'm a huge B&W speaker fan boy. What I do have qualms with is how B&W has spent the last few years putting out bad sounding and highly overpriced products such as the P5 or their Zeppelin speaker dock. The P5 is a 150 dollar headphone at best priced almost double it's worth all because it's pretty and has the name B&W embossed on it. For the money spent they sound completely atrocious but hey they look fabulous. The same goes for their speaker docks.

Over the last couple of years all I've seen from many prestigious names is a rehash of the same technology in a prettier package with a premium price tag to go with it. My view is and has always been you want to attach a premium price tag to a headphone then it better have the premium sound to go with it. If I wanted a pretty headphone I can grab some cheap no name brand and save myself the extra bones of paying for the so called prestige of wearing gear with the name of Sennheiser or Denon or B&W. I already own a HD25-I-II and I'm not going to pay a ton of extra bones for a prettier headphone that basically sounds like a HD25. I think Craigster has every right to be cynical considering how the headphone market has evolved and especially cynical of the Momentum. Sennhesier may have a lot of history behind it but over the last little while they haven't impressed with the Amperion. I'm not going to bash the Momentum for the simple reason i don't have enough information concerning them but going by recent events I'm also cynical.

Since we're on the subject let's also bring in Ultimate Ears who no longer has Jerry Harvey and is now run by the mega corp Logictech. Recently UE decided to finally release a new flagship IEM, the UE900. Right now there's very little information to go on except we have one veteran reviewer, joe_average, who posted he heard the pre release version of this IEM and commented it shared some very strong similarities with the UE custom monitor the UERM. He also went on to comment that UE hadn't locked in the final signature and that UE had commented they intended to add a little warmth (think fun) to the sound. Thus far everything is sounding really good, right? Well, things aren't sounding as good as a few days ago due to the first review rolling in on the finalized product. Recently another head-fier posted a review stating that the UE900 wasn't as neutral as we all thought it would be and long story short it sounded more like a V shaped finer tuned Tri-Fi 10 then a UERM. 400 bones plus shipping for a UE900 that sounds like a slightly better Tri-Fi that goes for on the street for anywhere between 90 to 180 bones tops.....oh puleeaasseeee give me a break. I've not completely written off the UE900 due to only one review of coarse. I'd have to be silly to do something like that but I have become cynical and an now await a more in depth review from a certain seasoned head-fier. hopefully the red flag that went up was nothing more then a review from someone who wasn't very seasoned in the hobby, we'll see.

I think as a consumer being cynical is a very good trait to have. It's time everyone stopped buying pretty rebadged crap and tell the makers that if they want 400 or 500 bones for a headphone it better sound like a 400 or 500 headphone and not a 250 dollar headphone with prettier form factor. The HD25's drivers were released in the late 80's time for Sennheiser and it's competition to either innovate or become another Monster and have their company named equated with the word crooks. For 100's of bones we should demand better from all companies.

Just my 2 cents.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #5,798 of 23,366
Just adding a stalker +1 to this thread as well. I still use LPs every day at work to zone in on some sub-bass and here's hoping that the VTF-100 will be a bit more usable to other genres as well. I hope my shield design (Homunculus icon from FMA) will look as nice as I think it will!

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #5,799 of 23,366
Quote:
We all have different ears and different tastes. IMO the M-80s are a very groovy headphone in every sense of the word. They're fun. They have a good soundstage for a small supra-aural, are nice all-rounders and to my ears they are resolving with an unfatiguing sound sig. I've been impressed by them and it's why I'm looking forward to the M-100. That said, I wouldn't call myself a fangirl of any company - just a fan of good headphones (to my ears). Again YMMV as we all have our own taste.

fangirl?????
I thought you were a bro dude not a bra

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #5,800 of 23,366
fangirl?????

All the fun Admiral Ackbar quotes aside... what difference does it make? At all?

On another note, just found two more companies to apply to, woo whoooo! Gotta make the money to feed the addiction, amirite? Jk, sorta... I want an apartment to provide a nice listening area for my audio gear, lol. Place to sleep is just a side benefit :wink: (which do you think I spend more time on anyway, eh?)

What is your Hi-Fi home like?

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #5,801 of 23,366
Quote:
Yeah, save your money they're terrible both sound and form factor wise. Some people seem to like them and they do sound better then most of the Skullcandy offerings. Considering most of Skullcandy's products sound and are built like crap though that doesn't say much. If you're curious give them a listen they may appeal to you. To me they were terrible but that's just my opinion YMMV.
With all due respect I have to agree with Craigster, the HD25 is a dated headphone. You go on the Amperion thread and you will run across enough seasoned head-fiers saying it isn't worth the extra bones in comparison to the HD25. I do agree with you as far as feedback is concerned and being brutally honest about it.

Although I do agree to the idea of simply encasing old speakers in a new casing to gain a profit a tad vexing - although that's not what I'm saying that sennheiser is done, I haven't tried HD25 or the Amperior - the idea that sound can be 'dated' is quite silly, the value of sound doesn't degrade with time. My dad's '80s speakers sound phenomenal with the right music.

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #5,802 of 23,366
Quote:

Although I do agree to the idea of simply encasing old speakers in a new casing to gain a profit a tad vexing - although that's not what I'm saying that sennheiser is done, I haven't tried HD25 or the Amperior - the idea that sound can be 'dated' is quite silly, the value of sound doesn't degrade with time. My dad's '80s speakers sound phenomenal with the right music.

No sound isn't dated but the technology, specifically the drivers on the HD25, is dated. I don't think it's to much to ask to have a company put out a product with different drivers that delivers better sound compared to drivers that were being used 2 decades ago. It's not like the HD25 drivers were the end all and be all in sound quality.

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #5,803 of 23,366
No sound isn't dated but the technology, specifically the drivers on the HD25, is dated. I don't think it's to much to ask to have a company put out a product with different drivers that delivers better sound compared to drivers that were being used 2 decades ago. It's not like the HD25 drivers were the end all and be all in sound quality.

I was just looking at the 2012 HD25-i-ii and Amperior sound test results on Innerfidelity.com...I honestly don't know why anyone would get the Amperior over the HD25-i-ii. :deadhorse:

All of this talk about Sennheiser is making me more and more excited to seeing how the M-100 turns out. I'm guessing Val has done some extensive sound comparisons/testings of the M-100 vs other companies' top headphones.

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #5,804 of 23,366
fangirl?????

Haha yeah I be a bra, bro! And I totally agree with your sentiments - very nicely stated about the headphone market lately and how old or not so great cans being put into a pretty package for a hefty price tag. And as much as I love the HD25 (it's got a soft spot in my heart) it is dated and has its imperfections. As soon as I heard Senn was recycling HD drivers, or a variation of them, into the Momentum... well the momentum of my interest went south. I'll still keep tabs on them just out of curiosity but if I want a headphone that sounds like the HD25, I'll save my wallet more pain and stick with my good ol' HDs.

With that said, it gives me even more appreciation for Val's and V-MODA's efforts for reaching out to the community, getting our feedback, and fine-tuning the sound of their cans which IMO are very reasonably priced. When I first heard the M-80s I could hear in the innovation. I'm really looking forward to the M-100. You can't help but love a company which keeps growing and going forward with their SQ.

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #5,805 of 23,366
Quote:
On an unrelated note, does anyone have any thoughts on Skullcandy Mixmasters?

My notes...

http://bienvenidogeeks.blogspot.com/2012/06/faceoff-skullcandy-mix-master-mike-vs-v.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back