Using full sized integrated amp
Sep 10, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #241 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I get it. This is effectively telling me to go ****** myself. This is actually the reason I wrote my post. Simply I think it is bad for the discussion to try to exclude all those but the converted. And, yes, that is what you're doing in a passive aggressive form of ad hominem attack.

I'm not trying to tell you what you can like. Read my post and you will see that. My point is about design, which is open to rationale argument.

No, it is a very direct answer to your post. Have you forgotten?

Quote:

I think it's worth mentioning that at this point there are only the 'true believers' left in this discussion of speaker amp vs headphone amp.
I have gone over the relevant threads to this topic and haven't seen any persuasive arguments that speaker amps are in the same class as headphone amps for driving headphones. Don't get me wrong I have read the arguments, but in my opinion they are patently wrong. Many people pointed this out and gave reasons why headphone amps are in another class when it comes to driving headphones. However, it seems they were shouted down with the often repeated, now de facto truth, that the myth that an amp designed with headphones specifically in mind (all else being equal) is superior has been debunked.
This is something to keep in mind. I'm not trying to repeat what has already been said many times. I just hope to provide a little perspective.

If I wanted to tell you to do anything unseemly to yourself, I could do so directly, though I might choose PM. What I wanted to do was to point out to you that discussing integrated amps in a thread entitled "Using full-sized integrated amps," indicates an interest in the subject, not the fanaticism of a "true believer."

We could have a discussion of design, I suppose, but that would be another thread. And personally, I wouldn't be terribly interested, as I'm really only interested in how amps sound and hold up to use. How that is achieved doesn't matter much to me. But I can assure you that, regardless of design, with my HD580s, my old Harman Kardon integrated sounds better than my Headroom Airhead, is the subjective equal of the Glow Audio Amp One (technically an integrated, but no resistors, no op amps, no compromises in the HP stage), is not quite as detailed, but arguably more pleasant to listen to than several other headphone amps (mostly studio systems ) I've heard.

Any decent comparison of my integrated (or any integrated) and any of the above would require more detail, of course, and would be subject to judgment. Any blanket statements would be the reaction of the true believer. The discussion you seem to want to have, which is capsulized in this statement:

Quote:

I have gone over the relevant threads to this topic and haven't seen any persuasive arguments that speaker amps are in the same class as headphone amps for driving headphones.

...really leaves no room for discussion. You apparently believe headphone amps, evidently all headphone amps, are in a class above all HP sections of integrated amps and receivers. What would be your point in painting with that very broad brush in this thread, of all places?

Tim

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #242 of 353
I'm sorry I posted on this subject, though I will say that my intention wasn't Quote:

breaking into threads and insulting perfectly innocent posters

nor was it because I am Quote:

so threatened by that (people liking integrated amps)

and finally I do not Quote:

believe headphone amps, evidently all headphone amps, are in a class above all HP sections of integrated amps and receivers.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #243 of 353
The "insulting perfectly innocent posters" remark was not aimed at you; you had a far more offensive predecessor who seemed to believe anyone who didn't accept the total and complete superiority of dedicateds was some kind of simpleton unable to gain employment and thus forced to post here all day. Oh yes, this subject can raise some ire, though I'm not sure why, especially as none of us here is committed to a particular point of view. I hope by this point that you're able to appreciate that.

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #244 of 353
I use Audiolab 8000A to drive my headphones and feel no need to buy a dedicated headphone amp. I've seen some people claim Audiolab 8000A has the best headphone section of all integrated amps but I don't know if that is true or not.

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #245 of 353
I use the Cambridge Audio A340 to drive my HD555's. To me it sounds great, but i have no headphone amps to compare it with. Biggest problem is that the volume knob is not very accurate down on low volumes so its either too low and losing detail or way too loud.

Maybe i will love headphone listening even more when my ibasso D3 arrives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #246 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Audiolab 8000A to drive my headphones and feel no need to buy a dedicated headphone amp. I've seen some people claim Audiolab 8000A has the best headphone section of all integrated amps but I don't know if that is true or not.

I recently demod an Audiolab 8000S and found the headphone amp to be excellent. Fine integrated amp BTW.

May 25, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #247 of 353
I must say this is an interesting thread and a bit of a surprise to me. I am certainly going to give my Marantz SR7001 multichannel receiver the chance to power my headphones (coming 701:s). The SR7001 has a DAC inside and I can connetct my Macbook via toslink or analog and compare. At least this means I am in no hurry to get a dedicated HP-amp to start with.

May 25, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #248 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by knugge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say this is an interesting thread and a bit of a surprise to me. I am certainly going to give my Marantz SR7001 multichannel receiver the chance to power my headphones (coming 701:s). The SR7001 has a DAC inside and I can connetct my Macbook via toslink or analog and compare. At least this means I am in no hurry to get a dedicated HP-amp to start with.

Yes, you should give it a try. Marantz put a quality, dedicated headphone amp into the SA8001 (and the CD5001, as well as the assorted new models and international versions), so you must try the output on your SR7001 and report back.

May 25, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #249 of 353
well i'd rather not get into this argument over who's patently wrong...but here's a look at the inside of the Portal Panache Integrated Amp (linked from their site)...

panache_cover_offLG.jpg

it's basically a power amp with passive volume control...there is no headphone section thrown in as an afterthought, rather there is no headphone section...the headphone socket could've just as easily been another set of RCA jacks...

an incredibly simple design (thought to be the work of Nelson Pass)...this may be why users of the Panache report that small changes like replacing the fuses makes a noticeable difference to the sound...

May 25, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #250 of 353
I'm not skilled at reading the innards of amplifiers, but surely there must at least be a resistor or two to step down the output of the speaker amps on their way to the headphone jack?

This is the way the vast majority of the headphone sections of integrated amps and receivers are made, and has been for decades. The myth that headphone sections are an afterthought thrown together with cheap op amps is simply wrong. If good quality resistors are used and the output impedance is kept at or below the standard of 120 ohms that most headphones are engineered for, there should be no problems and the headphone sections of your amps and receivers should be no more of an afterthought than the rest of the component. In other words, really good integrateds should sound really good through their headphone jacks, mediocre ones should sound mediocre. Unless you are using very low impedance phones that do not meet the standard, there should be no issue here. Will some dedicated headphone amps be of better quality than some integrated amps? Of course. And vice versa. And then we can get into whether or not the differences are audible.

Phelonious

GrumpyOldArts.com

May 25, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #251 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not skilled at reading the innards of amplifiers, but surely there must at least be a resistor or two to step down the output of the speaker amps on their way to the headphone jack?

well, ya
tongue_smile.gif

May 25, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #252 of 353
I use Scott 222c and Grundig V1700 (very economy and great sound), but with output transformer in better!!

May 26, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #253 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by musiclover45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MKV is going to sound better than a standard headphone jack setup. It has much more power and was built to be quiet and very dynamic.

Unfortunately, not to my ears. I own a MKV and my Sony AV Receiver (circa 1993) as well as my CA 540A V2 sound better than the MKV.

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #254 of 353
I'm using a Yamaha RXV 1800. I'm hoping it's a good receiver since I just ordered the HD800...
Here's the schematic. I guess there's no separate opamp for it? But I can't tell

It's rated output/impedance of the jack is 150 mV / 100 ohms, which, again, I don't know if it's good. Just numbers to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #255 of 353
You can add me to the list: I drive all my full-size headphones from my Onkyo A-9555 integrated amp. They all sound great to me, with the notable exception of the ATH-M50, which were distorted as hell, I don't know why (they sounded great from my ipod).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back