Using full sized integrated amp
Jun 14, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #256 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by raccoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a Yamaha RXV 1800. I'm hoping it's a good receiver since I just ordered the HD800...
Here's the schematic. I guess there's no separate opamp for it? But I can't tell

It's rated output/impedance of the jack is 150 mV / 100 ohms, which, again, I don't know if it's good. Just numbers to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking more closely at the image, it seems the headphone jack is coming from the pre-out stage. Is this...good?

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #257 of 353
ive read alot of these threads since i landed here on Head-fi. Tfarney had many objective posts on this subject. Seems like he fell off the head-fi map and i must say, its a damn shame. Im sure he's listening to some music right about now and not reading all this BS. On that note, how about some Black Sabbath......

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #258 of 353
A lot of integrated or receiver headphone outputs are quite good, and I would have no problem using them. That being said, quite a few of the older models (and even models) have high output impedance on the headphone out and thus while may sound "pleasing" due to more prominent bass and a warmer sound, it's not really accurate nor are the headphone drivers under full control.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #259 of 353
I've now tried the AKG K 701s playing 320kbit AAC through my Macbook connected to a Marantz SR7500 (7.1 receiver), by Toslink, but haven't compared that setup to anything else. I've also listened to the phones directly connected to the Macbook. The sound isn't exactly overwhelming but on the other hand it's not unlistenable, wich is nice. It's a bit more punch through the receiver but the sound is not very clean, smooth. I've also listened to my dvd-player, wich is a cheap Philips, digitally connected to the receiver and the sound from that setup is worse than the others. Much too harsh and aggressivly sounding, also a bit tinny in the midrange. the best result is Mabook-Toslink-Marantz. I think I'll get a better result from a dedicated (good) phone-amp though, but I haven't had a chance to compare. I have heard the 701s with a Heed but that was in a store and I only compared it to other dedicated phoneamps.

Jun 19, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #260 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive read alot of these threads since i landed here on Head-fi. Tfarney had many objective posts on this subject. Seems like he fell off the head-fi map and i must say, its a damn shame. Im sure he's listening to some music right about now and not reading all this BS. On that note, how about some Black Sabbath......

I was tfarney's offsider back then, helping deflect the rotten tomatoes. He's probably been arrested by the dedicated headphone amp police by now, but I'm still around keeping watch on you all, so beware. Anyone not trying his integrated before investing in an expensive dedicated will have me to answer to.
wink_face.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #261 of 353
I'm currently running both a TEAC AH500 and a Fisher 500C.
Both sound great and best a number of dedicated amps I've owned.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #262 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently running both a TEAC AH500 and a Fisher 500C.
Both sound great and best a number of dedicated amps I've owned.

would you say they are better than your Apogee Duet? That is the only HP amp I have any real experience with.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #263 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was tfarney's offsider back then, helping deflect the rotten tomatoes. He's probably been arrested by the dedicated headphone amp police by now, but I'm still around keeping watch on you all, so beware. Anyone not trying his integrated before investing in an expensive dedicated will have me to answer to.
wink_face.gif

Please dont throw me in the slammer.....

So far ive had mixed results with my integrated amps.
I tried a JVC 5.1 receiver from the early 90's (RX-717v). It has a phono stage so i use it with my turntable. It's just OK with my HD580s.
For my secondary vinyl rig in the studio i use an Adcom gfa-545 preamp. The phono plug is horrible. So underpowered even with an IEM. Ive been having fun doing needle drops and grabbing samples from my LPs and 7"s via the Apogee Duet and Logic.
I have the better halfs laptop hooked up to a JVC 7.1 (RX-D202)digital amp via onboard USB DAC. This one sounds really good IMO! Even the DAC is quite decent, though a little dark. It even has a 3D headphone setting for movies. I will recommend this unit for those looking at a DAC/ HP amp that can drive speakers(7.1!) and has remote. Im looking forward to comparing this unit to the Compass when i finally get it.

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #264 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink_face.gif

I can understand why tfarney copped so much flak. Firstly you have people needing to justify the expense of their dedicated amp and secondly I can't imagine the amp manufacturers live off this site are too happy about it either.

I have a Onkyo Integra P-304 pre amp running my HD-600s through a Apogee Duet and I quite content with the sound. I paid around $US60 for it.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #265 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a Onkyo Integra P-304 pre amp running my HD-600s through a Apogee Duet and I quite content with the sound. I paid around $US60 for it.

any comment on the Apogee HP plug compared to the Onkyo?

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #266 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand why tfarney copped so much flak. Firstly you have people needing to justify the expense of their dedicated amp and secondly I can't imagine the amp manufacturers live off this site are too happy about it either.

I'm sure there are regular posters here who pray every night that this thread be buried forever, but somehow it keeps popping up again.

I also started a thread on the best sounding integrated amps. That one really does seem to have disappeared, more's the pity.

Incidentally, several years before this thread appeared, I copped a barrage for the same heretical suggestion: that some integrateds might perform as well as many expensive dedicateds. In fact it got so vitriolic I had to retreat to my bunker, and only re-emerged--fearfully--to support tfarney. You'd almost think some people had something to gain by preserving the myth that all integrateds have 20c op-amps driving their HP jacks.

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #267 of 353
For those who want to go this way:

1. Generally speaking, you can expect a stereo receiver/integrated to sound better than a home theater one (except for Dolby headphones if you like it).

2. Generally speaking, you can expect a good hifi brand to sound good also with headphones.

3. Make sure the integrated headphone output fits well with your cans.

4. If you have a pre-out, get an adapter and hook your phones right there. It can be better than from the headphone jack.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #268 of 353
Hi guys. Thanks for the kind words. I'm alive and well and, evidently, haven't even changed hats. I have re-discovered speakers, though (still listen to phones a lot...) and have, rather late in life, discovered and emersed myself in jazz. So yeah, I'm spending more time listening. It's good.

Tim

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #269 of 353
So it's not true you were admitted to a nursing home, Tim. Well, it does all seem a long time ago.
smily_headphones1.gif

Reading the old posts, I'm surprised how lucid I was back then. I thought I was rambling interminably, but some of it actually makes sense. Ah, the good old days......

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #270 of 353
You were quite lucid, then and now.

The little old ladies here at Distant Acres are not big fans of fusion-period Miles, but early Sonny Rollins really gets them going. If I can stay awake long enough, one of these nights I'm going to get lucky.

smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back