Using full sized integrated amp
Jun 21, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #271 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have re-discovered speakers, though (still listen to phones a lot...) and have, rather late in life, discovered and emersed myself in jazz.

It looks like we gonna need a new thread to have you back... How about these two : "Using full size (integrated) speakers" or "Jazz rather late in life"? I guess I could contribute a little in both
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #272 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like we gonna need a new thread to have you back... How about these two : "Using full size (integrated) speakers" or "Jazz rather late in life"? I guess I could contribute a little in both
wink.gif

"Integrated" indeed. I'm using active monitors in a near-field configuration. AVi ADM9.1s, to be exact. With bi-amplification perfectly matched to the drivers, and active crossovers before amplification, the distortions and incoherence of passive crossovers are gone; with the near-field set up all but eliminating comb filtering and other room issues, this is the closest I've come to floating the midrange purity of great headphones in the air before me. And the imaging still blows me away. Too much fun.

Tim

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #273 of 353
For stereo or 5.1 recordings ?

I've been enjoying 5.1 music for a year now (DTS, DVD-A, SACD), but realized just recently that stereo recordings through a carefully placed 5.1 speaker system can be much fun also. For stereo music, I place my surrounds each side, instead of slightly behind and the soundstage is much more credible. I may also turn down slightly the surrounds volume...

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #274 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For stereo or 5.1 recordings ?

I've been enjoying 5.1 music for a year now (DTS, DVD-A, SACD), but realized just recently that stereo recordings through a carefully placed 5.1 speaker system can be much fun also. For stereo music, I place my surrounds each side, instead of slightly behind and the soundstage is much more credible. I may also turn down slightly the surrounds volume...

Stereo. I like 5.1 for some things, but I don't have it here at home.

Tim

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #275 of 353
Hey, guys. I recently got my first serious, hard-to-drive phone (HD600!), and I'm impressed with how good it sounds out of the 1/8 jack of my cheap ($150), 4 year-old Sony CD stereo (CMT-HPX9). To my novice ears, the soundstage, bass, and detail are all quite good. I think I've come a lot closer in the past couple days to understanding some of the passion in this forum.

So, after reading through much of this thread, I've decided to purchase my first receiver--the Cambridge Azur 540A v2! I am excited to hear what this guy can do. And thank you for providing a breath of fresh air here!

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #276 of 353
Something really unexpected I've found is that I find myself enjoying my music at significantly less volume. The music sounds great at low to medium volumes--no need to damage my hearing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Another unexpected thing is that when I switched from my HD600 to my easier-to-drive phones (Sony V6, AD700, SR60), I typically had to turn up the volume a little to maintain the volume. That's because the headphone output is better suited for high impedance phones? Is it harder for my CD player to drive the V6/AD700/SR60? (I've read about lower impedance cans needing more current--a bit incredible to witness.)

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #277 of 353
Quote:

And that puts us right back where we started, whether we are considering a dedicated headphone amp or a vintage receiver: With our ears.

Tim

Interesting. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1000 amp in storage I'm looking to try out once I get back from Iraq.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #278 of 353
Quote:

You were quite lucid, then and now.

The little old ladies here at Distant Acres are not big fans of fusion-period Miles, but early Sonny Rollins really gets them going. If I can stay awake long enough, one of these nights I'm going to get lucky.

smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

LOL!

Of course you know I was only fishing for that compliment. I'm very insecure.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #279 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, guys. I recently got my first serious, hard-to-drive phone (HD600!), and I'm impressed with how good it sounds out of the 1/8 jack of my cheap ($150), 4 year-old Sony CD stereo (CMT-HPX9). To my novice ears, the soundstage, bass, and detail are all quite good. I think I've come a lot closer in the past couple days to understanding some of the passion in this forum.

So, after reading through much of this thread, I've decided to purchase my first receiver--the Cambridge Azur 540A v2! I am excited to hear what this guy can do. And thank you for providing a breath of fresh air here!

I'm sure you'll realize a worthwhile improvement with your Cambridge, but it's sometimes amazing what the most modest equipment is capable of. I'm currently using a Sony DHC-MD373 (CD/MD/receiver) to drive my HD650 and getting great results, and that's after owning many great integrateds and dedicateds, including the Little Dot MkV. What's even more heretical, I actually prefer it on one of the non-flat settings--'Pop' to be exact--which adds a much needed touch of extreme treble---surprisingly subtle for a mass-market product. I know I've totally destroyed my credibility now, but I just wanted to show that I'm still as willing to suffer the slings and arrows of outraged dedicated amp fanatics as ever, that courage doesn't necessarily wane with age.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #280 of 353
Now, I've listened even more and the phones has clearly been more broken in than when I got them, or maybe I'm just getting used to the soundsignature, I really don't know. What makes me lean towards the burn-in theory is the mere fact that I now am able to play louder without pain or discomfort. Anyways, it surely seems like the HP-out on the Marantz SR7500 is a bit weak though, however much stronger than the soundcards of my computers, wich is not surprising. I am still bothered by the sibillance and when playing loud the sound gets smered and unclean. It gets hard to single out instruments and singers in the choir and the soundstage seems compressed. Another thing I've noticed, being new to phonelistening, is that instruments or sound that are hard panned to one of the channels sometimes tend to come out as if I was listening to really bad speakers that can't let the notes go to become part of the scenery, so to speak. I'm not sure I can make myself understood since English isn't my native language. However, in my homerig, which is sold, music was really well held together and the soundstage was big, both in width and depth and no sound seemed to come from the speakers. This is one of the key things with high-fidelity systems as far as I am concerned and maybe it's not possible to achive with phones? The resolution in these AKG K701 is great though. Now I am searching for an uppgrade, if possible, that can bring the soundstage and imaging closer to that of speakerlistening, wich I consider more like listening to live music.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #281 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I use the the vintage Marantz 2270 (ca. 1971) and the headphone jack is excellent. Not only is it clear, it makes the sound a little more 3-D like and has a smooth round tone. It's very good and more impressive than the average headphone jack to say the least.

The speaker output seems to have a cleaner sound though. But it could also be my speakers which are vintage Marantz speakers as well.

Couldn't help but chime in on the Marantz 2270, a great receiver in its day. And I agree, the phones should sound much clearer (3-dimensional) using the speaker terminals. No worries except with the volume set too high, ouch! In the 70's I drove lots of cans (e.g. Koss Pro-4A's, 4AA's) directly from the speaker terminals, as I found the direct speaker connection had much better SQ than the headphone outputs.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #282 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the 70's I drove lots of cans (e.g. Koss Pro-4A's, 4AA's) directly from the speaker terminals, as I found the direct speaker connection had much better SQ than the headphone outputs.

Wow, you do like to live dangerously. Do you also cross the street against the red light?
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #283 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you do like to live dangerously. Do you also cross the street against the red light?
bigsmile_face.gif

Heh! Heh! Well, not normally, although where I live you'd think people would have better sense!

BTW, in the '70's I used a HK Citation 12 (kit built) to drive my Koss ESP9's stats. Just needed a bunch-o-voltage to get 'em to sing!
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #284 of 353
I use a Sony STR-D511. It seems to punch at least on the same level as the FiiO e5 and Juice 2214 CMOY that I also use.

The one area where it's a bit lacking is more current hungry headphones but for ones that don't require as much juice, it's excellent.

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #285 of 353
I have both a Little Dot Mk11 with Marantz 6001 as the source in my family room which sounds great. But when I use My AKG 701 with the Outlaw 2150 and the Onkyo DX7555 something very magical happens. The Outlaw has an incredible very powerful and bass champ as an headphone amp. It really is an incredible receiver. Dosent make me want for more.
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back