Using full sized integrated amp
Oct 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #301 of 353
Hi, DAC,
I must first buy the Yamaha and then listen to it. Ok, if I get one for under 100 Euros, I will try and report. But I can compare it only to my NAD integrated (HP out from the main amp section via resistors).
My phones are a Sennheiser "person": HD565 Ovation with HD580precision drivers 300 Ohms).
K.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #303 of 353
The RWA Signature 30.2 should qualify as a full size speaker amplifier. Not the biggest physical sized one, but speaker amplifier it is...
Use it to drive my three main headphones (2 x AKG K1000 and a Stax SR-007BL).

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #304 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by KonstantinT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My phones are a Sennheiser "person": HD565 Ovation with HD580precision drivers 300 Ohms).
K.

Ha, I remember once doing a long comparison between the 565 and 580 and preferring the 565. Never though anyone would put the drivers of one into the housing of the other.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #306 of 353
^ They will.
You just need a matching cable to hook it up to the computers sound card (RCA -> RCA, 3.5mm TRS -> RCA, or like).

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #307 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently demod an Audiolab 8000S and found the headphone amp to be excellent. Fine integrated amp BTW.

Hi I'm waiting for delivery of my first pair of headphones HD-595, can't wait. I own a 8000S, what setting did you put it on when using the headphones ?

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #308 of 353
I figured I'd get in on this thread. I just purchased an older Denon PMA-250 to replace my home audio amp (which didn't have a headphone out) & to power my Sennheiser HD560 Ovation II's. I took my ipod along with me to the store & the phones for testing. I loved the sound so I decided to pick it up. As others have experienced with other integrated amps, there's a ton of headroom, I only have to turn it up about a quarter of the way to get it LOUD. I just couldn't justify spending hundreds of dollars on a dedicated headphone amp I couldn't even try before I bought when I could get great sound with an integrated amp for a lot less. I can now finally listen to records on headphones too!
smile_phones.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #309 of 353
I actually owned a pair of Senheiser HD560 Ovation's in the 90'ties and they worked fine with an integrated amp from Rotel.

Recently I did an AB of NAD C370 vs Heed Canamp and Graham Slee Solo to dispel the myth of the head amp. But I went home with the Solo. Cans are K701 and they truly benefit from an amp.

Sorry, I tried
very_evil_smiley.gif
but the freaks do have a point!!

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #311 of 353
I'm using an Onkyo 876 as my HT receiver. I have a totally separate 2 channel system. However, when watching movies, I plug my DT-880s (mostly) into the Onkyo, not least because it can dolby process the multi-channel down pretty well for headphones, a lot better than letting a PC downmix to stereo.

The headphone jack is not bad, but compared to Gilmore lite it's clearly lacking something, especially if you listen to the dedicated headamp for a bit with music at moderate volumes (~75db) and then switch to the Onkyo at equivalent volumes. The bass control is not as good (still extended though), the mids are a little muddied. Still pretty good for watching movies late at night though, when you need to use headphones. Compared to low end amps / portables though, it is very good for being built into a receiver.

Slightly off-topic - I'm still blown away by the dynamic audio on some well mastered blu-ray movies from time to time (by comparison, popular CDs sound very compressed / normalized) - I wish there had been a blu-ray audio format from the get-go, since SACD has shrunk down to a symphonic / classical only niche. Sometimes I sit all the way through the end credits when the accompanying song / score is particularly good, listening to the music with my eyes closed.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #312 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to hear more about the differences you heard.

I recently bought the AKG K701. Connected them to my NAD C370 and was totaly blown away by the sound stage, detail and all other praise already thrown at these cans.

There is the occasional harchness in highs and sibilance from voices during dynamic or loud playing. I mostly listen to prog rock. even though really deep bass is all there when called for there can be the occasional flatness in the mid bass. Especially during complex full guitar soundstage. Not something that made me regret the AKG K701.

After reading up on this thread I decided the whole head amp mystice was to be taken with a pinch of salt.

However I was curoius so decided to do an A/B with NAD C370 vs Heed Canamp/Graham Slee Solo.

The biggest difference is in the relative tranquility in the soundstage when things get complex. The sound stays full bodied, there is almost no harchness, voices stay clear. There is more mid bass and bass guitars are now mucht beter distinguishable.
The heed ads a certain warmth to the recordings. (which is ok since tonaly the NAD AKG comba was on the cool side)

The Graham Slee Solo is a bit less warm but adds massive detailing in the highs and goes louder without getting harsh.

Neither amp turns the K701 into bass boost cans. Look elsewhere if you want that.

So yes, there is apreciable difference in sound quality. The question is should you pay extra for it while you already have a good integrated amp?

In the case of the K701 I would say yes, it benefits. The Heed is about 350 Euro's in europe. If you say it out loud it seems like way too much. I still look in the mirror and say I am mad for buying the Solo in the end. But I wouldn't want to bet on a cheaper amp than the Heed to pull the most out of the K701's.

The Senheisers HD560 I had 15 years ago did not need anything extra. So much is dependent on how hard the cans are to drive.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #313 of 353
Thanks for your impressions. I once owned the K702 for a short period; couldn't abide it. I've owned the 650 for many years. Re the integrated v. dedicated argument, it's significant that the Heed canamp on Ebay is specificially recommended for the AKG headphones; no other phone is mentioned. I don't read too much into that, but your remarks tend to confirm that particular recommendation. When I advocate integrateds, it's mainly on the basis of results using the 300ohm Senn; results with low impedance phones may and probably will vary. Nevertheless I say: if you have an integrated give it a good try before you discard it for a dedicated. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #314 of 353
Yes. Try your headphones first with an integrated amp. I will try and borrow some other, less picky, cans (may be some Semheiser) to give you an impression with the NAD C370 v.s. Graham Slee Solo.

But from my experiences with the Sens HD560 Ovation I can say you don't need a specific head amp to have good SQ.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #315 of 353
I borrowed my AKG K701 to a friend of mine with a Kenwood integrated amp. The big question was whether he would enjoy the K701 without a dedicated head amp.

He loved it and wouldn't think about buying a head amp. Not a must according to him. He's also buying the K701 after sampling many Senheisers.

So beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

I've been doing some testing too: A/B Slee Solo vs Marantz CD 52 MKII SE headphone out jack.

You would expect the marantz to be blown away by the Solo. But the diffrences are more subtle.

Slee
+ more absolute volume available (marantz on full, slee 11 o clock)
+ bigger soundstage at high volume
+ less flat sound at higher volume
++ more musicality, more tip-tapping more engangement
+ more air around individual instruments

Marantz
+ suprise: slightly more bass and warmer tonaly
+ almost the same dignified detailed highs

Does the marantz sound bad? No.
Does the Slee blow into the water? That depends on how much you value Musicality and instrument seperation.

For me the Slee is super but I can fully get into the fact that people have a fun time with their cans without head-amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back