USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Oct 26, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #5,433 of 6,484
lol I guess people really want rotary knob.
Not sure I like the volume knob and the usb input being on the same end. Usually it’s usb on one end and the headphone outs on the other end.

This isn’t something I’d buy anyway, so my opinion is irrelevant.

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #5,438 of 6,484
Hello,

i want to buy the Sennheiser IE600 for using it with an iphone and want to ask which dongle you would buy? The Ibasso DC04 would be good but it is very limited in combination with Apple. So it doesn't make sense. I want to change the volume in smaller steps and not with this big 16 steps volume from the iphone. It is better to change the volume seperately.

My ideas:

Fiio Q3 --> cheap, but a bit big and you have a knob or wheel and not 2 buttons. I think the last option is better to change the volume exactly.
Moondrop Dawn Pro --> very cheap, small and hardware buttons. Maybe the best dongle for a dynamic iem?

One question: Does an Iphone Pro Max limit the power of the Dawn Pro or are these days over? I read some months ago that the iphone will limit the dongle. Is this correct? Even with the Pro Max? But if yes I think with the sennheiser there won't be a disavantage because of this limit from the iphone?
Have you considered bluetooth? Fiio btr7 is really good

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #5,439 of 6,484
Hello,

i want to buy the Sennheiser IE600 for using it with an iphone and want to ask which dongle you would buy? The Ibasso DC04 would be good but it is very limited in combination with Apple. So it doesn't make sense. I want to change the volume in smaller steps and not with this big 16 steps volume from the iphone. It is better to change the volume seperately.

My ideas:

Fiio Q3 --> cheap, but a bit big and you have a knob or wheel and not 2 buttons. I think the last option is better to change the volume exactly.
Moondrop Dawn Pro --> very cheap, small and hardware buttons. Maybe the best dongle for a dynamic iem?

One question: Does an Iphone Pro Max limit the power of the Dawn Pro or are these days over? I read some months ago that the iphone will limit the dongle. Is this correct? Even with the Pro Max? But if yes I think with the sennheiser there won't be a disavantage because of this limit from the iphone?
There are ways to change the volume in iOS in smaller steps. You can open up the control panel and just move the volume slider, or move the slider in the music app, or ask Siri to set it to whatever percent you want. I don’t think it’s worth fussing over a dongle or amp just for this reason.

I’m one that believes that an Apple dongle is all you need for 99% of IEMs out there, and all you need for a big percentage of full sized headphones as well. With my Aful Performer 8’s I’m at under 15%, and with my Focal Elear with Clear pads I’m at under 50% on the Apple Type-C dongle with an iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #5,440 of 6,484
Does anyone have any information on approximately how much the iBasso DC Elite might cost? Thank you.

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #5,441 of 6,484
Does anyone have any information on approximately how much the iBasso DC Elite might cost? Thank you.
I'm in China and I don't see it listed on any of the major online stores yet. I haven't seen any confirmation on iBasso's WeChat page either.

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #5,442 of 6,484
Hi folks, do you think the M15 also makes a difference for IEMs? Or do I need full size, power hungry headphones to hear the difference? Thank you:)
It's best with IEMs, as it's actually quite low power for a dongle. And despite Questyle's claims of "current mode amplification" it is particularly short of current and particularly weak into low impedances. It's absolutely fine for any IEM and many over ears, you don't need power for IEMs. But relative to other dongles in its price range it's remarkably low power. It has less power than the built in jack in a MacBook.

注:MBP2021的带载能力 300Ω 30mW 68Ω100mW 32Ω 150mW 16Ω 160mW

旷世M15 300Ω 4xmW 68Ω 100mW 32Ω 85mW 16Ω 60mW左右(按照THD+N>1%标定)
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/questyle-m15/

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #5,443 of 6,484
Hi, you have to be careful that the hub does not carry power to the PC... because the computer's USB must not be powered. This is why I put that specific type of hub, otherwise you can only use it from a mobile phone/tablet.
The connection sequence of the mod is this:
1) connect the power bank to the hub
2) connect the hub to your mobile phone/tablet
3) connect the dongle to the hub
Please note: The hub I pointed out to you is not just any hub, but has a current filter for the streamer, a port dedicated to the power input (powerbank) and all the ports are compatible with IOS/Android/Windows and with bandwidth from 10Gbps on all ports.
P.S. Hiss most likely depends on the connection or type of hub you are using.
So, I've been testing the set up and I discovered the short cables I bought where the responsible for all the noise. I changed them for a generic USB C cable and a DD Hifi one for the dongle and now is completely silent. Not sure if its some placebo but I feel that with this set up over the traditional way of connecting the dongle(just USB to the computer) it sounds like the background is way more clean and silent, like if there was some noise I never noticed and now it's gone. I'm really enjoying this set up after trying it with some iem's and dongles like the L&P W2, Cayin Ru6 and Earmen Sparrow; Also it eliminated like 90% of the noise I usually get from the Sparrow which is really noisy when is near any electronics. I'm guessing maybe this is what the USB accessories from Ifi or Audioquest do but not sure because I never tried them. Thank you really much for sharing this mod friend, it's not expensive and in my opinion it gives an improvement but I'm not an expert so take it like a grain of salt. I'll be posting some updated with pictures the next few days.

Cheers.

Oct 27, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #5,444 of 6,484
There are ways to change the volume in iOS in smaller steps
I know but as you said you have to do it with siri or activate the display. the adjustement is not as fine. i also want to drive the ie600 balanced.

I read that the max output power via lightning is 31.25mw per channel (1vrms@320mw). Do you know if this limit also exists on the new usb-c-iphones or not? Is there the same limit or does the new iphone deliver more power?

I will decide between Fiio KA13, Moondrop Dawn Pro, Colourfly CDA M1 and Fiio Q3. I dont know which is the best solution for a single DD Iem like the ie600.

Oct 27, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #5,445 of 6,484
Just received the Aune Yuki today. I haven't seen much in the way of reviews of impression of this, and having never owned (or even heard I think) any Aune products I was curious to get a sense of what they have to offer.

I've only a had few hours so far but first impressions are promising indeed, even with little to no run-in. This little thing packs a little secret sauce inside. At first I thought "oh, that's different", as it seemed to be tuned to a slightly different approach than many dongles and DAPs. But after a while I was bobbing my head and it felt like the sound just all fit together nicely. Great detail and very good dynamics. It also has a real sense of punch - and yet, even with that punch you can really turn this thing up; as the volume goes up, it just gets more glorious - no harshness!

It's actually quite small - here's a few pics with some other gear I have at hand and a USB-C to A converter for scale. The little buttons on the back for volume control are pretty inconspicuous - there's not even a +/- indicator. But the volume control is independent of the slider on my iPhone so plenty of ability to dial in the right volume.

The only real downside I've noted so far is the power draw: I measure 580mW while playing music and 466mW while connected but without music playing. It's the highest of the dongles I've measured so far, just a bit higher than A&K HC3 which was 568mW while playing. Also, there's no light or indication the Yuki is connected and running, so you just have to hit play and see if it's working.

All in all I'm impressed, lovely soundstage, everything fits in the mix and instruments sound natural and come alive. I get the feeling I'll be listening to this a lot :dt880smile:

Attachments

• yuki1.jpg
    yuki1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • yuki2.jpg
    yuki2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back