USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Oct 18, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #5,401 of 6,504
Seems like it would be easier to just use a battery powered DAC/amp instead, or if you don’t need a ton of power just use an Apple dongle, which draws very little power. There are plenty of portable DAC/amps that are battery powered that draw no power from the phone.

Oct 18, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #5,402 of 6,504
While I do agree there is probably more elegant solution to this (i.e. Mojo or Diablo....etc).

But since it's a forum and it's meant to share ideas. So I support the freedom of expression.

Also there currently is no battery powered r2r portable dac/amp in existence, so if you want that r2r sound in this format then this is the only way lol.

Oct 18, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #5,403 of 6,504
Yes but you would only have one DAC with a single musical signature, however with various dongles you have various signatures to choose from, this is the thing I love most about dongles... an M15 doesn't sound like an RU7 and a W4 doesn't sound like a RU6. In addition to this, having the separation of power and data in the USB (thanks to the hub) is something that increases their performance exponentially. In the end the basic kit to try costs 40 euros (with a 10k powerbank), not much to try what the dongles can do. I did it and at home it's incredibly convenient, in addition to listening to them at their best you don't have to worry about how long your cell phone battery lasts.

Oct 19, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #5,405 of 6,504
Even with the netbook... you listen very well...

netbook.jpg

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #5,406 of 6,504
Question for those who've had experience with the Questyle M15: I assume it can be used with an external amp, by connecting it using a 3.5mm/4.4mm to RCA/XLR cable? I do this often with my Mojo2 and it effectively acts as a DAC with the head/ear phones connected to the amp.

Oct 22, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #5,407 of 6,504
Oct 22, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #5,408 of 6,504
iHA-6 (1).jpg

Oct 22, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #5,409 of 6,504
iFi Go Link 👍

Pleasant sounding, no nonsense SE dongle.
After doing a lot of research and looking at what's available over here in India, I simply said eff it and went with iBasso - DC03 PRO.

It cost me Rs. 5500 ($66 USD). It's double the amount I had originally thought of investing, but after reading a lot of reviews, it just felt the best of the lot.

The options I looked at were JM6 Pro (waited a month for this but no stock), JM25, iFi Go Link, iBasso - DC03 PRO, iBasso - DC04 PRO and Moondrop Dawn Pro. Ruled out DC04 PRO as it was double the cost of DC03 Pro. Couldn't find very many reviews on the Dawn Pro and how it faired against the DC03 PRO. I also don't care much about balanced output, which would've meant I had to change the cables on my IEMs. I also don't intend to use any of my headphones with this as I have a separate dac/amp setup for those.

I found raving reviews for the DC03 PRO. I also found it's build quality to be much better than the other options. Hence I went for it :)

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #5,410 of 6,504
Oct 23, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #5,412 of 6,504
Hi folks, do you think the M15 also makes a difference for IEMs? Or do I need full size, power hungry headphones to hear the difference? Thank you:)
Since it is a dongle with current amplification, the IEMs that benefit most from the M15 are the planar ones such as the Letshuoer S12 PRO, it is understood that the first use for a dongle (M15 included) is the one with the IEMs. So all IEMs will be delighted to be powered by the M15, the only thing to pay attention to is adjusting the volume and gain before starting the music (especially under Windows). It is good practice to start from zero volume and then bring it to the desired level. :wink:

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #5,415 of 6,504
The RU6 is warmer and more analogue sounding, with weaker technicalities.

The RU7 is better technically (soundstage, imaging, micro-detailing) and is superior in driving power especially on the 4.4 mm port.

The RU6 also suffers from EMI/hiss, which isn't the case with the RU7.
Thanks for this. Been recently debating getting the RU7 but wasn't sure what the diff was from the 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back