USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Oct 9, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #5,373 of 6,501
I haven’t re-read the whole thread, maybe it’s been discussed before, but how do you wear your dongles? Do they just hang out or do you attach them to your smartphone somehow?
I was attaching my Qudelix 5K with a MagSafe sticker to the back of my iPhone. I have since stopped using the 5K though.

Right now I’m in a stage where I feel that an Apple dongle is “enough” and is more simple, so I’m just using that.

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #5,374 of 6,501
I haven’t re-read the whole thread, maybe it’s been discussed before, but how do you wear your dongles? Do they just hang out or do you attach them to your smartphone somehow?
With dongle dac? Kinda.
something that eventually move me to buy Bluetooth DAC/AMP instead, BTR5.
That way my phone is still wire free but i can use pretty damn good source for my wired iem.
---
my extra concern at the time, my old phone Xiaomi Note 5, eventually lost the ability to drive my direct dongle dac.
i've tried to replace the usb-plug but no avail. Local audio store points out, possibly the electrical current sent out to the usb-out is lowered as there is degradation due to constant usage of dongle DAC.

Its an oddball case, but i'm also afraid of the usb-c plug longetivity in my phone if it constantly having dongle dac dangling over it.
hence the move to bluetooth dongleDAC

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #5,375 of 6,501
New member here! I'm just starting my iem and dongle journey, coming from full sized hifi systems. My first real iem is a Xenns Mangird Tea 2, and I paired it with an Apple dongle. I then stepped up to a Moondrop Dawn Pro and am now looking for another step up. Currently, I'm looking at iBasso DC04 Pro, Fiio KA5, Fiio BTR7, and Moondrop Moonriver 2 Ti.

I'm not particularly interested in the BT capabilities of the BTR7, though I guess it could come in handy occasionally. Although, the ability for it to use PEQ does interest me. Basically, I'm just looking for the next step up in SQ.Since this list of dongles have separate amplifier sections instead of using the built in dac chip's amp section, I'm hoping for better technicalities, grip/control and headroom.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!

Oct 10, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #5,376 of 6,501
New member here! I'm just starting my iem and dongle journey, coming from full sized hifi systems. My first real iem is a Xenns Mangird Tea 2, and I paired it with an Apple dongle. I then stepped up to a Moondrop Dawn Pro and am now looking for another step up. Currently, I'm looking at iBasso DC04 Pro, Fiio KA5, Fiio BTR7, and Moondrop Moonriver 2 Ti.

I'm not particularly interested in the BT capabilities of the BTR7, though I guess it could come in handy occasionally. Although, the ability for it to use PEQ does interest me. Basically, I'm just looking for the next step up in SQ.Since this list of dongles have separate amplifier sections instead of using the built in dac chip's amp section, I'm hoping for better technicalities, grip/control and headroom.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!

If you want something neutralish with good technical chops, check out the Questyle M15.

If you want a warm neutral dongle with good soundstage (though not as micro-detailed as the M15), check out the Cayin RU7. It has DSD filter settings that can also make it sound a tinge tube-like.

Oct 10, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #5,377 of 6,501
If you want something neutralish with good technical chops, check out the Questyle M15.

If you want a warm neutral dongle with good soundstage (though not as micro-detailed as the M15), check out the Cayin RU7. It has DSD filter settings that can also make it sound a tinge tube-like.
To my knowledge, the Xenns Mangird Tea 2 IEMs do not have the biggest soundstage. The RU7 would certainly work miracles here.

Oct 10, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #5,379 of 6,501
The Apple dongle is enough….. sometimes
The Apple honestly did surprise me considering how cheap it is. I guess I'm just going on the search for "more"

The Dawn Pro was a definite upgrade over the Apple. It has a wider Soundstage, more neutral tuning, better resolution and better control from the stronger output. Not to mention, 3.5 and 4.4 outputs, volume buttons, app control etc...

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #5,380 of 6,501
I was attaching my Qudelix 5K with a MagSafe sticker to the back of my iPhone. I have since stopped using the 5K though.

Right now I’m in a stage where I feel that an Apple dongle is “enough” and is more simple, so I’m just using that.
could you share the link to magsafe sticker, please? I searched on Google and Aliexpress and did not find any suitable options.

Oct 10, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #5,381 of 6,501
could you share the link to magsafe sticker, please? I searched on Google and Aliexpress and did not find any suitable options.
They are all over Amazon. The only issue is that most of them are reverse polarity so you have to mount your own adhesive on the other side if that’s the case. Most of them are meant to stick to the back of your phone or case to use with other MagSafe accessories.

Oct 13, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #5,384 of 6,501
Dear friends here is my Shanling UA1 Plus Review.

Maybe the best USB DAC dongle with a single 3.5mm output.

IMG_20231012_152704.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back