USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Aug 4, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #5,191 of 6,467
@baskingshark

Thanks, I actually read your review earlier today. Looks like a nice option. I am leaning toward the Shio if you have any thoughts? I am a pensioner, with limited funds. What I am finding is that my beloved LG G7 is nowhere near the sound quality of my desktop ifi zen dac for the S12 pro.

Yet, I am no newbie and have been using on the go solutions for ages. My guess is that a lot of the nuance will get lost when out and about on my walks. Still, I can appreciate the quality of a lossless file and a halfway decent dac and amp.

One thing to note is I will not ever use a dongle indoors. Yet I am discovering that the LG has been great with my cheapo gems outdoors, this IEM needs a bit more love.

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #5,192 of 6,467
@baskingshark

Thanks, I actually read your review earlier today. Looks like a nice option. I am leaning toward the Shio if you have any thoughts? I am a pensioner, with limited funds. What I am finding is that my beloved LG G7 is nowhere near the sound quality of my desktop ifi zen dac for the S12 pro.

Yet, I am no newbie and have been using on the go solutions for ages. My guess is that a lot of the nuance will get lost when out and about on my walks. Still, I can appreciate the quality of a lossless file and a halfway decent dac and amp.

One thing to note is I will not ever use a dongle indoors. Yet I am discovering that the LG has been great with my cheapo gems outdoors, this IEM needs a bit more love.

The Truthear Shio is warmish, with a boosted mid-bass. So it is coloured and not really neutral as per your 5th criteria. It adds a bit of a euphonic tone to the sound as such, but it might overly smooth the sonics of some gear IMHO.

I think from your post you are using the Shuoer S12 Pro? The Shio is a good pairing for this, as it adds some heft and smooths the treble of the S12 Pro. But if you are using a warm or analoguish IEM, then warm + warm will make everything a muddy veil.

One other thing, the Shio also isn't too powerful, it can't drive demanding gear such as low sensitivity/high impedance transducers, but for most IEMs it should be okay.

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #5,193 of 6,467
Hey, thanks! This is the kind of first hand knowledge I appreciate. I am older and not finding the S12 Pro to be too bright, nor lacking in the low end. My last almost fave IEM was the Dunu Titan S. Just a bit shouty in the 3k area, lacking in good treble and a bit shy in bass but overall pretty nice.

I am not sure the S12 Pro is all that difficult to drive but I am sure my desktop setup is way more powerful than any dongle even if using at lower volumes.

Will certainly re-read and consider the Colorfly.

Cheaper alternatives that crossed my mind for outdoor use include Tanchjim Space lite and perhaps the Space (but I am a bit concerned about high volume eff ups).

EDIt: FYI our boy dongle Andy feels the Shio is on the neutral side of the Cirrus implementations, which kind of does not make sense as he likes seemingly bright dd iems.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #5,194 of 6,467
Can anybody comment on the ES9318/ES9603 combination (eg Jcally J45) vs classics like the CX31993 dongles?

I'm looking at buying a Hisense Touch ereader/DAP, and it comes with the ES9318/ES9603.

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #5,195 of 6,467
Hello, I'm looking for a few recommendations for a USB DAC with 2.5mm+3.5mm output termination? I can only find Fiio BTR5 2021 as a decent option but it's a bit bulky to be used as a USB DAC. Any leads would be helpful. TIA.

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #5,196 of 6,467
Hello, I'm looking for a few recommendations for a USB DAC with 2.5mm+3.5mm output termination? I can only find Fiio BTR5 2021 as a decent option but it's a bit bulky to be used as a USB DAC. Any leads would be helpful. TIA.

Not common to have 2.5mm in a dongle DAC these days. Maybe the Qudelix Q5K? Or Hidizs S9 Pro?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #5,197 of 6,467
Aug 6, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #5,198 of 6,467
Aug 6, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #5,199 of 6,467
Hidizs S9 pro is a good option together with the Qudelix 5K.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #5,200 of 6,467
In addition to those mentioned, there's also the ES100 MK 2, Hidizs XO, and the Hiby FD1.

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #5,202 of 6,467
2.5 mm is sadly phased out, so getting DACs with 2.5 implies choosing older DACs models that can be less advantageous.

The route to go is the dongles with all three connectors: 2.5/3.5/4.4.
A good budget one with is JCAlly AP20 (that is AP10, so you can check all the reviews out there plus a good battery and three terminations). I have one, and it is not far from top Cirrus dongles and can be recommended.

Another one that have all three outputs and fascinated me with all the capabilities, so I just ordered it few days ago, is Kuang Pai Plus 4
Screenshot_20230806-183531_Samsung Internet.jpg

Andy's website was a great source of dongle information, sadly no more, and I do not watch youtube, can't stand it

Aug 7, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #5,203 of 6,467
2.5 mm is sadly phased out, so getting DACs with 2.5 implies choosing older DACs models that can be less advantageous.

The route to go is the dongles with all three connectors: 2.5/3.5/4.4.
A good budget one with is JCAlly AP20 (that is AP10, so you can check all the reviews out there plus a good battery and three terminations). I have one, and it is not far from top Cirrus dongles and can be recommended.

Another one that have all three outputs and fascinated me with all the capabilities, so I just ordered it few days ago, is Kuang Pai Plus 4
Screenshot_20230806-183531_Samsung Internet.jpg
Andy's website was a great source of dongle information, sadly no more, and I do not watch youtube, can't stand it
Thanks @PhonoPhi for the recos. I agree Andy's website was truly helpful in making some objective decisions. I think I'll check out JCAlly one as I'm assuming Kuang Pai Plus would be available on AliExpress and that's unfortunately out of reach as the app is banned in my country 😭

For now, I'm rocking a pretty legacy setup of my S23>JCAlly AP7>Walnut F2>Sony MH1(with mmcx connectors) with balanced out 😄😄

I already feel old but it still beats the crap out of BTR5 wired out to this date, so that's a plus 😅😅

Aug 7, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #5,204 of 6,467
Duplicate post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back