USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Aug 15, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #5,206 of 6,504
I'm looking to buy a dongle DAC/amp to give to my parents for when I sometimes leave my HD 6XX with them. I'm thinking around $100, and they'd just be using their iPhones and iPads as sources so it would need to be one that doesn't have a bunch of issues with iOS.

Would the iBasso DC04 Pro be good for this? I know that their app isn't on iOS, but if the app isn't essential to make it work well then the simpler the better. I also saw mention of the Tanchjim Space, Truthear Shio, and Colorfly CDA M1 when others here asked about driving their HD 6x0 headphones. Would any of these be a better bet than the DC04 Pro for use with Apple products?

Aug 15, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #5,207 of 6,504
I'm looking to buy a dongle DAC/amp to give to my parents for when I sometimes leave my HD 6XX with them. I'm thinking around $100, and they'd just be using their iPhones and iPads as sources so it would need to be one that doesn't have a bunch of issues with iOS.

Would the iBasso DC04 Pro be good for this? I know that their app isn't on iOS, but if the app isn't essential to make it work well then the simpler the better. I also saw mention of the Tanchjim Space, Truthear Shio, and Colorfly CDA M1 when others here asked about driving their HD 6x0 headphones. Would any of these be a better bet than the DC04 Pro for use with Apple products?
iPhone restricts the output current, so in the case of dongles, it can be shutter if push the dongle's volume too high, iPad doesn't. I just have used DC04pro on my sensitive IEMs and the MDR-Z1R (64Ohm and much more sensitive compared to HD6x0), it worked flawlessly, but in the case of HD6x0, I think that you may push the volume to the level that iPhone cannot drive the output current. Therefore, if you still want a dongle, please be noted that the usage with iPad is better than iPhone, or you may find a battery-powered DAC.

Aug 16, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #5,208 of 6,504
iPhone restricts the output current, so in the case of dongles, it can be shutter if push the dongle's volume too high, iPad doesn't. I just have used DC04pro on my sensitive IEMs and the MDR-Z1R (64Ohm and much more sensitive compared to HD6x0), it worked flawlessly, but in the case of HD6x0, I think that you may push the volume to the level that iPhone cannot drive the output current. Therefore, if you still want a dongle, please be noted that the usage with iPad is better than iPhone, or you may find a battery-powered DAC.
Thanks, that's good to know about the iPhone! When I tried to run my 6XX off the iPhone just just with the Apple dongle they were still too quiet at max volume, but I guess something like the DC04 Pro might not fix this. My parents can just use their iPads then. When I ran the 6XX off one of their iPads I could get enough volume without maxing it out. From what I've read iPads (at least the newer ones) seem to be fairly solid sources? It seems they have enough quantity of amplification, but would the quality difference in amp/DAC going from the Apple dongle to something like the DC04 Pro be very noticeable in this use case? Sorry that I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to portable amp/DAC solutions.

Aug 16, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #5,209 of 6,504
Thanks, that's good to know about the iPhone! When I tried to run my 6XX off the iPhone just just with the Apple dongle they were still too quiet at max volume, but I guess something like the DC04 Pro might not fix this. My parents can just use their iPads then. When I ran the 6XX off one of their iPads I could get enough volume without maxing it out. From what I've read iPads (at least the newer ones) seem to be fairly solid sources? It seems they have enough quantity of amplification, but would the quality difference in amp/DAC going from the Apple dongle to something like the DC04 Pro be very noticeable in this use case? Sorry that I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to portable amp/DAC solutions.
Have a look at some of the Ibasso dc04 pro reviews.
It will give you some idea.

IMHO for the money it’s very good.
Factor in a usb otg cable like the Fiio LT1 or similar and your all set.

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #5,210 of 6,504
Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #5,211 of 6,504
Yes, even with my sensitive IEMs 64Audio A12t, the difference between an Apple dongle and DC04 pro is noticeable, and it is even more with MDR-Z1R, so I think that, in your use-case, it is worth it.

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #5,212 of 6,504
I am using Hi-x65 with DC03pro on my Samsung smartphone for YouTube music in home. Since it's only a 25ohm headphone, any DAC/AMP will be a obvious upgrade for that?
I don't want desktop style since I don't have PC(Keep my existing source) and wanna moving in my home..

Any suggestions please🙏🏼

PS: No balance out required as X65 can only be connected as signle end.

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #5,213 of 6,504
Hidizs DH80S with a USB-C to Lightning cable. Has an internal battery so you won't run in to any current over-draw issues.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #5,214 of 6,504
2.5 mm is sadly phased out, so getting DACs with 2.5 implies choosing older DACs models that can be less advantageous.

The route to go is the dongles with all three connectors: 2.5/3.5/4.4.
A good budget one with is JCAlly AP20 (that is AP10, so you can check all the reviews out there plus a good battery and three terminations). I have one, and it is not far from top Cirrus dongles and can be recommended.

Another one that have all three outputs and fascinated me with all the capabilities, so I just ordered it few days ago, is Kuang Pai Plus 4
Screenshot_20230806-183531_Samsung Internet.jpg
Andy's website was a great source of dongle information, sadly no more, and I do not watch youtube, can't stand it
Please share your thoughts on this one. I have had my eyes on this one for a few weeks now :D

Aug 17, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #5,215 of 6,504
Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #5,216 of 6,504
1. https://hifigo.com/collections/portable-1/products/fiio-jadeaudio-q11

If you need a dac/amp with built-in battery

Or the
2. https://hifigo.com/products/moondrop-dawn-pro

If compactness is your priority.

Aug 18, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #5,217 of 6,504
Very nice, same DACs and size as the Tanchjim Space but almost half the price :astonished:
The only questionable choice is the holes in the body... i don't think heat dissipation is that much needed, and it allows pocket debris/dust to get inside :thinking:
I guess it is more design choice than actual heat needing to be dissipated. As in marketing first, reliability later hehe.

Aug 18, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #5,219 of 6,504
I have been eyeing jcally dongles (the sub 40$ ones mainly). Could anyone help me to put into context the quality of the chips they are using? There are a lot of dongles on hifigo and I cant really decide.

Also, better alternatives are welcome as well, with similar pricing.

Aug 20, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #5,220 of 6,504
Hey, the new generation of iphones are supposed to use usb-c. I assume that all an iphone user will need is a good old fashioned usb c OTG cable with new iphones.

I presume we won't need to hunt down usb-c to lightning OTG cables? If have two longer cables and it took some hunting to find them.

It would really be annoying if somehow Apple jams up the works somehow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back