USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Dec 13, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #3,256 of 6,178
It seems impossible to use EQ when listening to MQA. I prefer eq over mqa since mqa sounds more flat. I hear more details with mqa but still prefer EQ. My Mojo says it is higher quality listening to mqa with Bit perfect mode off compared to listening to music without mqa
Mojo improved the soundquality a lot. I use a samsung s7

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #3,257 of 6,178
This thing I can't get. I though that bit-perfect is required for second unfold (192kHz) and first one is done in software like in tidal app when proper hardware (V30) is not present. So when software decoding is involved it will be possible to do EQ on 24/96 but from what you are saying it can't be done even with software decoding and it always uses bit-perfect but with certified MQA DAC you will get second unfold.
Are they are replacing whole collection from redbook into MQA? that's bad...

No, it's required for the first unfold as well since the bits are embedded in the signal. Of course, one could apply processing after the unfold, but we are simply not allowed to.
I didn't say they are replacing the whole collection.

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #3,260 of 6,178
It seems impossible to use EQ when listening to MQA. I prefer eq over mqa since mqa sounds more flat. I hear more details with mqa but still prefer EQ. My Mojo says it is higher quality listening to mqa with Bit perfect mode off compared to listening to music without mqa
Mojo improved the soundquality a lot. I use a samsung s7

The developer is required to disable all filters during MQA playback (except whatever filter is in MQA itself).

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #3,261 of 6,178
I thought that bit-perfect is required for second unfold (192kHz) and first one is done in software like in tidal app when proper hardware like V30 is not present. So when software decoding is involved it is possible to do EQ on 24/96

I thought the same as this is what Audirvana+ does with their software unfold of MQA streams, then allows that bitstream to be altered by Audio Units (Mac plugins). Technically, though, I think that Audirvana doesn't follow the MQA guidelines as strictly as Extream Software does.

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #3,262 of 6,178
hi friends, I am using uapp on Huawei p30 pro with USB DAC Ztella and facing the problem when playing music on uapp and switch to use other app like Chrome, uapp will stop to play the music even through the Play icon on uapp still show playing (not show pause). Do anyone ever face this issue? and any suggestion on setting at uapp or android setting to resolve it, please.

Dec 14, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #3,263 of 6,178
hi friends, I am using uapp on Huawei p30 pro with USB DAC Ztella and facing the problem when playing music on uapp and switch to use other app like Chrome, uapp will stop to play the music even through the Play icon on uapp still show playing (not show pause). Do anyone ever face this issue? and any suggestion on setting at uapp or android setting to resolve it, please.

I'll try this tomorrow.

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #3,267 of 6,178
Never does to me be it on V30, DFC or PC. They even sound excellent with my A105 in Tidal App.
We maybe like different. I have a Mojo with my Samsung s7 and this sounds a bit better than a Lg v30.
But MQA in my opinion sounds more flat and boring than music without MQA if using equalizer.
I did a blindtest with 4 friends and they all said the same thing. This was jazz and rock music.

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #3,268 of 6,178

Please exclude the app from battery optimisation in Android settings.

Dec 15, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #3,269 of 6,178
We maybe like different. I have a Mojo with my Samsung s7 and this sounds a bit better than a Lg v30. But MQA in my opinion sounds more flat and boring than music without MQA if using equalizer.
I did a blindtest with 4 friends and they all said the same thing. This was jazz and rock music.

No doubt MQA has its pros and cons and its proponents and detractors. The same can be said of EQ. If you and your friends prefer EQ'ed sound, that's perfectly fine -- and if so you probably should avoid MQA which doesn't allow it. But that preference does not prove in any way that MQA has inferior sound quality.

I don't say this to either defend MQA or to denigrate EQ'ing, but a better comparison would be to compare MQA and non-MQA without using EQ. And of course the ideal, as far as pure sound quality, would be to find a sound system (DAC, Amp, headphones/IEMs/speakers) that has the signature you like, so you wouldn't have to EQ in the first place.

I am personally a bit split on MQA: When the source is of high quality (recording, mastering, transfer) it does indeed preserve a bit more of that quality compared to a plain 44/16 Redbook FLAC. But I am not a huge fan of the MQA Digital Filter, which I find a tad unnatural on my V30, and I wish I could use my preferred Sharp filter instead. I do understand that MQA considers their filter a critical part of the MQA experience, I presume it being key to their claim of time-domain supremacy. But to me it adds some air that doesn't seem real. Again, that's just me.

In the case of UAPP, this forces me to toggle its MQA flag on/off all the time when I switch between playing MQA and non-MQA albums, since otherwise UAPP keeps the DAC in MQA mode (locking it to the MQA Digital Filter) regardless of whether MQA is actually being played or not. I understand this is another requirement from MQA on the developer -- although the LG Music app doesn't do the same, it only sets the MQA flag when playing actual MQA tracks.

Another problem with MQA on Tidal is that many of their Master albums are from 44.1KHz or 48KHz sources, so while you get the 24-bit depth, there are no additional samples to add during the 1st or 2nd unfold. In those cases it's almost a toss-up for me whether I prefer the MQA version (24-bit) or the plain 44/16 version (allowing me to avoid the MQA filter). And of course many other MQA releases are just poor recordings in the first place, so it doesn't add anything.

But there are also some great MQA releases on Tidal which I enjoy tremendously. I mention some in this post (classical genre).

Edit: One undeniable benefit of MQA which I should have added for LG Quad DAC users (V30/V40/V50/G7/G8): Since MQA tracks are all 24-bit, they can be played offline in the Tidal app without the dreaded up-sampling of the Android Mixer: The Tidal app will play them through the Direct path exactly like UAPP. Of course you need UAPP to play all 44/16 (non-MQA) tracks unmolested -- and if offline isn't a concern, I would recommend using UAPP for all Tidal playing.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #3,270 of 6,178
So MQA does not allow any fiddling with the digital bitstream... insert here your favorite theory as to why... But that prohibition, I believe, stops once the bits are converted to analog - that is, the output of the DAC and input of the Amp...

Not all ears and earphones/IEMs are created equal, nor are all tastes identical, which I think are unassailable truths. Hard to argue that MQA gives you the ideal listening experience. Personally I think this argues for only one reason why you can’t mess with MQA bit streams, but don’t want to flare up THAT discussion...

So, I wonder, are there any systems that implement analog EQ (like a Schiit Loki) except in a miniaturized integrated format that allows analog EQ. The tuning/EQ stage would have to have digitally controllable values. Does anything like this exist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back