USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Nov 27, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #4,276 of 6,175
Hello, is there anybody here have problem with tracks on Tidal? I got an error "Error in getStreamURL1" when trying to play track like The Weeknd - Blinding Lights and there's an entire album The Weeknd After Hour that get this error message too. You can try it if you want.

Already message Davy by email, he already confirmed and looked into it. The suspect is something change in Tidal catalog that mess with uapp integration.

I'm asking here if someone have the same problem with other tracks, since i can't check every single track on Tidal 😅 for confirmation it's not just one Artist/album/track only.

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #4,277 of 6,175
Hello, is there anybody here have problem with tracks on Tidal? I got an error "Error in getStreamURL1" when trying to play track like The Weeknd - Blinding Lights and there's an entire album The Weeknd After Hour that get this error message too. You can try it if you want.

Already message Davy by email, he already confirmed and looked into it. The suspect is something change in Tidal catalog that mess with uapp integration.

I'm asking here if someone have the same problem with other tracks, since i can't check every single track on Tidal 😅 for confirmation it's not just one Artist/album/track only.

I've had this a few times when I've left UAPP open and came back to it hours later and tried to continue playing music. I had to fully exit the app, and then launch it again. By fully exit I mean exit from UAPP's menu and then close the app in Android.

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #4,278 of 6,175
I've had this a few times when I've left UAPP open and came back to it hours later and tried to continue playing music. I had to fully exit the app, and then launch it again. By fully exit I mean exit from UAPP's menu and then close the app in Android.

Well for me it's not working. Have you try it to play the tracks i mentioned?

Already try close the app, force stop, clear cache/data, uninstall then reinstall, install on isolation app (like shelter or island), delete UAPP folder, rebooting. It's still get the same error on the tracks.

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #4,279 of 6,175

I've seen the same on some tracks. For example Billie Eilish No Time to Die (linked below) I get that error in UAPP.

https://tidal.com/track/156899047

The Master version of that track plays alright in UAPP (linked below):

https://tidal.com/track/131333084

And both versions play in the Tidal app.

I'm sure it must be hard work for 3rd party devs to keep up with changes in Tidal and other external APIs.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #4,280 of 6,175
I've seen the same on some tracks. For example Billie Eilish No Time to Die (linked below) I get that error in UAPP.

https://tidal.com/track/156899047

The Master version of that track plays alright in UAPP (linked below):

https://tidal.com/track/131333084

And both versions play in the Tidal app.

I'm sure it must be hard work for 3rd party devs to keep up with changes in Tidal and other external APIs.

Yep, they can just someday decided screw you and stop support external APIs for 3rd party app. Just wish the best for the development so we can enjoy full quality music on our device.

UPDATE: It's half-working now. Not sure what changed, probably on tidal side. But there's still tracks get the error.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #4,281 of 6,175
When playing some HiRes files I downloaded to my LG V40 for testing UAPP playback capabilities I found that "direct" is the same as the files sanple rate, even for a 352.8khz/24bit FLAC file. I get he same direct sample rate of 352.8khz when playing DSD files of 11.2Mhz, but when playing 2.8/5.6Mhz "direct" is same as DSF (DSD 2.8/5.6Mhz respectively).
How can it be possible for "direct" be at 352.8khz if the DAC max support is of 192khz?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #4,282 of 6,175
When playing some HiRes files I downloaded to my LG V40 for testing UAPP playback capabilities I found that "direct" is the same as the files sanple rate, even for a 352.8khz/24bit FLAC file. I get he same direct sample rate of 352.8khz when playing DSD files of 11.2Mhz, but when playing 2.8/5.6Mhz "direct" is same as DSF (DSD 2.8/5.6Mhz respectively).
How can it be possible for "direct" be at 352.8khz if the DAC max support is of 192khz?
If it displays "Direct: 352.8khz" then it's not playing DSD. It should look like the attached screenshot when playing DSD. Make sure you unzip DSD files first, otherwise UAPP won't play them, but will just skip to the next file on the list. Kind of sounds like that may be what's happening here :wink:

Edit: I just re-read you post, and maybe I misunderstood you. The Quad DAC in your phone can play up to 352khz PCM. So assuming you have Upsampling disabled in Settings (and preferably Bit-perfect enabled) you should see the same sample rate for Direct (ie sent to the DAC) as for the file.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-28-14-04-40.png
    Screenshot_2020-11-28-14-04-40.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #4,283 of 6,175
Your phone's internal ESS DAC natively supports more than 192Khz. It is with how to communicate with the hardware DAC w/ in the Android audio framework that is tricky. As most music players still uses AudioMixer, as module (the old fashion way) w/c limits music to 24/192. UAPP for sometime now, and later with some other music players (Neutron MP, HibyMusic, Onkyo HF), found a way to send music direct to your phone's internal DAC for proper conversion.

As to your case of playing "Direct 352.8khz". I don't know (or forgot) how UAPP communicates to your phone on the base level. But normally your phone's internal DAC is activated when you insert your headphone. Try doing it with your headphone/earphone inserted in your phone and NOT just playing it thru your internal speaker.

LG V series (via UAPP) supports upto DSD128. Above that (DSD256 and DSD512) all are converted to 352.8khz.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #4,284 of 6,175
Thanks for the answers.

I did extracted the files before playing them and did it while connected to an AUX or headphones. So if I understand correctly the supported DSD is up to 5.6mhz (DSD128) and above hat point UAPP convert it to the highest possible Sample rate, and it manages to utilize the full capabality of the DAC which is 352.8khz. Am I right?

BTW, seems like DSD is actually the real Audiophile grade Hi-Res technology but as it is very inefficient in terms of file size it is not achieving acceptance within the streaming market that prefer size-efficient compressed technologies such as the common simple 320kbps formats or the new more sophisticated lossy compression method of MQA.
What are your impressions of the diferrences sound-wise between lossless FLAC vs MQA vs DSD (compared at more or less parallel sample rates & bit rates)? The debate between MQA and FLAC is long and full of opposite arguments, but how much ifna difference can one expect to hear when listening to DSD files?

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #4,285 of 6,175
Thanks for the answers.

I did extracted the files before playing them and did it while connected to an AUX or headphones. So if I understand correctly the supported DSD is up to 5.6mhz (DSD128) and above hat point UAPP convert it to the highest possible Sample rate, and it manages to utilize the full capabality of the DAC which is 352.8khz. Am I right?

Full capability of your DAC is 384Khz (48Khz as base). Why then 352.8Khz? Because DSD are multiples of 44.1Khz. Such as DSD64 is 64 times the CD audio sampling rate of 44.1 kHz = 2.8224 Mhz. So 2.8224 Mhz ÷ 8 = 352.8Khz. And so with DSD128 ÷ 16 will give the same answer.

BTW, seems like DSD is actually the real Audiophile grade Hi-Res technology but as it is very inefficient in terms of file size it is not achieving acceptance within the streaming market that prefer size-efficient compressed technologies such as the common simple 320kbps formats or the new more sophisticated lossy compression method of MQA.
What are your impressions of the diferrences sound-wise between lossless FLAC vs MQA vs DSD (compared at more or less parallel sample rates & bit rates)? The debate between MQA and FLAC is long and full of opposite arguments, but how much ifna difference can one expect to hear when listening to DSD files?

Filesizes correllates with information. More bit depth and rate = larger files. Like images or videos. DVD files versus your 4K/UHD ones. So in streaming it boils to your hardware. Like watching 4K YT videos. If you have the connection speed, a 4K monitor, the graphics card to do it and harddisk space to store if ever, so what is the problem?

IMO, streaming are for convenience. But today's storage devices have become cheaper too. Right now you can buy a 512gb microsd card at $65. That is 1K worth of uncompressed CDs to your phone. Newer smartphones have larger storage too.

On FLAC vs MQA vs DSD. Is like BMPs, JPGs, or TIFFs of your picture files.You need to have very expensive equipment to hear (or in my example, see) the difference. On excellent recorded materials its even very hard for me to tell w/c is w/c. Unless you have blessed with sensitive ears. So for me, generally (w/ some album exemptions), I am better off listening w/ FLAC or MQA (or equivalent) for my lower tier equipment. DXD and DSD preferably for highend. But since I don't have multiples copies of Album on different formats, what I have is what I hear (for all of my devices).

At the end you need to ask yourself. Are you hear to listen to your equipment? Or to listen to music?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #4,287 of 6,175
eems like DSD is actually the real Audiophile grade Hi-Res technology but as it is very inefficient in terms of file size it is not achieving acceptance within the streaming market that prefer size-efficient compressed technologies such as the common simple 320kbps formats or the new more sophisticated lossy compression method of MQA.
UAPP can play wavepack. I packed all the DSD files with a wavepack (version 5.0 and above handles DSDIFF and DSF files), the size is almost halved.

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #4,288 of 6,175
Full capability of your DAC is 384Khz (48Khz as base). Why then 352.8Khz? Because DSD are multiples of 44.1Khz. Such as DSD64 is 64 times the CD audio sampling rate of 44.1 kHz = 2.8224 Mhz. So 2.8224 Mhz ÷ 8 = 352.8Khz. And so with DSD128 ÷ 16 will give the same answer.

Sorry be to a nitpick: 352.8khz is in fact the max PCM sample rate supported by the 9218p codec on Quad DAC phones. Or DSD128 / 5.6Mhz, as you say. At least as of V40 Pie, which is the latest source code I inspected. Hence 352.8khz is also the sample rate UAPP will convert to if playing DSD256.

One would be hard pressed to find real life 384khz PCM files anyway: Most recordings in PCM use DXD format which is 352.8khz.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #4,290 of 6,175
Besides using Qobuz for streaming Hi-Res files (when available), where do you recommend I can find albums I want to purchase in Hi-Res PCM or DSD formats? I would like to experiment and train my listening ability.

hdtracks.com, prestomusic.com (classical and jazz), arkivmusic.com -- and many others.

I would personally take a well recorded, well mastered RedBook release any day over a mediocre HiRes release. It can be hard to know in advance which are well made, but some labels (such as Reference Recordings, and others) and producers (such as Steven Epstein, and others) specialize in releasing excellent, natural recordings. You can find their work on discogs.com. The person with the best ears I know swears by anything recorded with DPA microphones -- and he has been right on any albums I heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back