USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #2,131 of 6,177
Hi guys

Hope someone can help.

I have an LG V30, the Ifi iDSD micro black label DAC/AMP and the Ifi OTG USB cable. I'm using UAPP as the player.

The iDSD is showing it has a connection to the LG V30 but no matter what I do UAPP is playing sound through the V30 speaker and not the iDSD.

I've tried all the settings mentioned in this thread, the V30 thread and iDSD thread (I think).

I've tried chainging USB configuration to Audio Only and MTP in developer options and still it's the same.

The strange this is I managed to get sound out of the iDSD just using a standdard USB cable with adapter ONCE but haven't managed since.

I'm guessing perhaps that there's a specific sequence I need to adhere to maybe.

Help appreciated!

Thanks

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #2,132 of 6,177
Hi guys

Hope someone can help.

I have an LG V30, the Ifi iDSD micro black label DAC/AMP and the Ifi OTG USB cable. I'm using UAPP as the player.

The iDSD is showing it has a connection to the LG V30 but no matter what I do UAPP is playing sound through the V30 speaker and not the iDSD.

I've tried all the settings mentioned in this thread, the V30 thread and iDSD thread (I think).

I've tried chainging USB configuration to Audio Only and MTP in developer options and still it's the same.

The strange this is I managed to get sound out of the iDSD just using a standdard USB cable with adapter ONCE but haven't managed since.

I'm guessing perhaps that there's a specific sequence I need to adhere to maybe.

Help appreciated!

Thanks

Might be that the power connection works, but not the data line, so I'd try a different cable. I use the one on the 2nd picture here:
https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #2,134 of 6,177
Thanks Davy. Will look into that. You would think that the IFI OTG cable would work.
https://ifi-audio.com/products/otg-cables/ > My cable is the top one in the first image on that page.
I'm inclined to think the answer lies somewhere else Davy since I used a standard USB cable with
adapter successfully, albeit it only worked once.

Looks like a fine cable indeed. Have you tried to restart the LG with the DAC attached? The iFi's can be picky at times though. You can also experiment with the order: first attach the cable, then turn on the iFi (powered by LG) or first turn it on and then attach the cable (powered by battery inside iFi). Sometimes, you also need to wait up to 10 seconds before the Android detects it.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #2,138 of 6,177
Hi Davy.

Got it working. Seems it was down to the sequence of connection.

I first force stopped UAPP and the other audio player I had installed.
I the started the IFI IDSD micro black label without usb cable and with headphones plugged in.
I then plugged the IFI OTG usb cable into my LG V30
Next I plugged the other end of the OTG cable into the IDSD micro

Android then confirmed the connection to the DAC (IFI) and launched my 'other' audio player - need to change my default.

Played a track and all was well!

Sorry if my description was long winded but maybe this will help someone in the same situation.

Thanks for your input.

-------------------------------------------

KW: IFI iDSD Micro Black Label, IFI OTG USB cable, LG V30, transport, external DAC

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #2,139 of 6,177
I'm so happy that UAPP got DSD support. I'm really enjoying it but there are some small issue which I'm trying to resolve.

UAPP won't recognize the metadata on certain files (artist, album, artwork, etc.) They are the same as all the other files and I've retagged them, recopied them, but their metadata is just not reading. I've also tried installing a media scanner app without any luck. Has anyone found a fix?

Everytime I load a song from the folder it displays a progress bar reading in the entire folder. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

When tracks load or advance I get a pop and a crackle. I've turned on auto mute but a lot of songs get cut off at the start. Is there a way to mitigate this?

These small issues aside, I'm really thankful that Davy put the effort into getting DSD supported. It sounds amazing!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #2,140 of 6,177
I'm so happy that UAPP got DSD support. I'm really enjoying it but there are some small issue which I'm trying to resolve.

UAPP won't recognize the metadata on certain files (artist, album, artwork, etc.) They are the same as all the other files and I've retagged them, recopied them, but their metadata is just not reading. I've also tried installing a media scanner app without any luck. Has anyone found a fix?

Everytime I load a song from the folder it displays a progress bar reading in the entire folder. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

When tracks load or advance I get a pop and a crackle. I've turned on auto mute but a lot of songs get cut off at the start. Is there a way to mitigate this?

These small issues aside, I'm really thankful that Davy put the effort into getting DSD supported. It sounds amazing!

UAPP has supported DSD for years though, but thanks anyway!

If a file contains metadata, it should basically work. Is this problem happening for specific file types only?

If it wouldn't show a progress bar in Folders, it would just freeze. I don't think that's a good alternative. If you want your folder to show up fast, I guess it's best to add it to the database.

Which DAC do you have?

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #2,141 of 6,177
UAPP has supported DSD for years though, but thanks anyway!

If a file contains metadata, it should basically work. Is this problem happening for specific file types only?

If it wouldn't show a progress bar in Folders, it would just freeze. I don't think that's a good alternative. If you want your folder to show up fast, I guess it's best to add it to the database.

Which DAC do you have?

Yes, definitely, I knew that UAPP always supported DSD, but I’m on the DX200. I’ve been so excited specifically about DSD512 on the DX200 I forgot to clarify.

When I made the jump to DSD I made sure to check out UAPP as I’ve enjoyed it so much with Tidal, but I was disappointed that it couldn’t decode the DSD512 files. So I was pretty thrilled to hear about native DSD support for the DX200 in the new release.

It is just unbelievably good, even among other apps that support native DSD512.

About the Folders, by “adding it to the database” I’m thinking you mean the Library right? The files are already in the library but the Folder has album previews next to the track. The track views in the Library panels don’t have the tiny album artwork which I quite like and are helpful fo navigation.

The metadata issue is that one that is frustrating. There is no rhyme or reason I can discern for which files don’t get recognized. I have a few hundred DSF files on my SDcard. They are all the same; all properly tagged. Every app I’ve used has properly handled the metadata. But for some reason UAPP just won’t recongnize the metadata on about a dozen files. I’ve tried retaking, recopying the file, adding sorting data, clearing the cache and rescanning each time. The same files still only have the title from the file and register as “unknown” artist and album with no artwork.

If anyone has run into this and found a way around please let me know.

At any rate, thank you Davy!

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #2,142 of 6,177
Yes, definitely, I knew that UAPP always supported DSD, but I’m on the DX200. I’ve been so excited specifically about DSD512 on the DX200 I forgot to clarify.

When I made the jump to DSD I made sure to check out UAPP as I’ve enjoyed it so much with Tidal, but I was disappointed that it couldn’t decode the DSD512 files. So I was pretty thrilled to hear about native DSD support for the DX200 in the new release.

It is just unbelievably good, even among other apps that support native DSD512.

About the Folders, by “adding it to the database” I’m thinking you mean the Library right? The files are already in the library but the Folder has album previews next to the track. The track views in the Library panels don’t have the tiny album artwork which I quite like and are helpful fo navigation.

The metadata issue is that one that is frustrating. There is no rhyme or reason I can discern for which files don’t get recognized. I have a few hundred DSF files on my SDcard. They are all the same; all properly tagged. Every app I’ve used has properly handled the metadata. But for some reason UAPP just won’t recongnize the metadata on about a dozen files. I’ve tried retaking, recopying the file, adding sorting data, clearing the cache and rescanning each time. The same files still only have the title from the file and register as “unknown” artist and album with no artwork.

If anyone has run into this and found a way around please let me know.

At any rate, thank you Davy!

Ah, now it starts making sense! Can you please send me such a file by a cloud service (info@extreamsd.com)?

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #2,143 of 6,177
Ah, now it starts making sense! Can you please send me such a file by a cloud service (info@extreamsd.com)?

Davy, I can definitely send you a link to a file but I may not need to. I found the rhyme and reason, though not the solution.

I looked up the "unknown artist" files on UAPP to see which was the smallest file to minimize upload/download time. This is it. All the files were above 6minutes and 30 seconds. When I look at file sizes of those files they are exactly the largest files. The cutoff, in my particular collection, is 2.15Gb. UAPP reads the metadata on that file. The next largest file is 2.22Gb and UAPP does not read the metadata for that file and all those going up to my largest file which is 2.97Gb.

I think you may not have run into this issue because these are not typical file sizes right?

At any rate does this make sense?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #2,144 of 6,177
Davy, I can definitely send you a link to a file but I may not need to. I found the rhyme and reason, though not the solution.

I looked up the "unknown artist" files on UAPP to see which was the smallest file to minimize upload/download time. This is it. All the files were above 6minutes and 30 seconds. When I look at file sizes of those files they are exactly the largest files. The cutoff, in my particular collection, is 2.15Gb. UAPP reads the metadata on that file. The next largest file is 2.22Gb and UAPP does not read the metadata for that file and all those going up to my largest file which is 2.97Gb.

I think you may not have run into this issue because these are not typical file sizes right?

At any rate does this make sense?

Yes, sounds like a 32-bit issue and after checking, it is indeed. The library UAPP uses for reading tags, TagLib, only handles files up to 2GB. I'm afraid there is no easy fix for this.

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #2,145 of 6,177
Yes, sounds like a 32-bit issue and after checking, it is indeed. The library UAPP uses for reading tags, TagLib, only handles files up to 2GB. I'm afraid there is no easy fix for this.

Sigh. It's alway something isn't it? I'm sure developers like you know this well.

Nevertheless, I'm switching over to UAPP for DSD. The audio performance is truly wonderful. If it is not readily able to be rectified, please do let me know if you think of a workaround.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back