USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Feb 5, 2014 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6,145

NZtechfreak

Headphoneus Supremus
As discussed in the Android USB audio thread, thought I would start a thread about this great Android app so we could separate the discussion about it a bit from the general USB audio thread.

For those of us with Android devices this app is hugely important for a few reasons.

The first is that it opens up USB audio output for MANY Android devices that lack any kind of native support, almost any device that support USB OTG/USB host (those devices are limited to USB audio playback from UAPP only, but that's obviously a great deal better than having no way to do this at all without warranty-voiding Root and custom kernels and such like - if they even exist for your device). The other thing it does is allow higher than 16-bit audio on Android, which is for the most part limited to that otherwise (if you believe in high res music, YMMV etc etc).

Here is a Play Store link to the app, current Play Store description below - note there are links to install the trial version to test if it is operational on your device/with your DAC of choice, and also a link to contact the developer directly (although hopefully they might keep an eye on developments in this thread also):

High quality media player for use with USB audio DAC's (or any other USB audio class compliant device).

Note: free trial here: http://www.audio-evolution.com/downloads/USBAudioPlayerPROTrial_1.0.8.apk

Features:

• Plays wav/flac/ogg/mp3/aiff files (even 24-bit or 32-bit wav's)
• Uses a USB audio DAC connected by a OTG cable (if your Android device supports USB host and is compatible)
• Plays natively up to 32-bit/384kHz or any other rate/resolution your DAC supports by completely bypassing the Android audio system. No other Android player can do this since they are limited to 16-bit and usually 48kHz.
• Uses Android play lists. Play albums or create your own play lists from a list of songs.
• Gapless playback
• Plays .m4a etc. files depending on your Android device
• Background playback (you can turn off the screen, go to other apps etc. while the app is playing)
• Sample rate conversion (if your DAC doesn't support the audio file's sample rate, it will be converted to a higher sample rate if available or the highest if not available)
• No root or custom kernels required
• Software volume control
• Shuffle / repeat

Warning: this is not a generic driver, you can only playback from within this app. It is not possible to use your USB audio device using this software with other apps!

Please have a look here for a list of tested devices and more information on how to connect a USB audio device:
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO

Make sure to connect your audio device BEFORE starting USB Audio Player PRO. If you get a message on start-up saying that the device failed to initialize, it is likely an incompatible Android device or a wrong cable since DAC's are usually class compliant. If your Android device does not supply enough power, please try a powered USB hub.

Please let us know if your Android/audio device combination works. These DAC's were tested in the past with USB Audio Recorder PRO, so will likely to function with USB Audio Player PRO as well:

• Alo Audio The International
• Audiolab M-Dac
• Audioquest Dragonfly
• Benchmark DAC 1 HDR
• Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100
• Centrance Dacport LX / HiFi M8
• Cypherlabs AlgoRhythm Solo
• DacPort LX
• FiiO E7/E10/E17/E18
• Go Vibe DAC
• HiFimeDIY Sabre U2
• HRT Microstreamer
• Ibasso D-Zero / D55 / D6 / D7
• iFi nano iDSD / micro iDAC
• M2TECH hiFace TWO / DAC / Joplin
• Meridian Explorer
• Musical Fidelity V-DAC II
• NAD PP 3i
• NuForce uDAC / Icon HDP 
• NwAvguy ODAC
• Intruder DAC
• Stoner Acoustics UD100
• and many more!

Please contact us by email at info@audio-evolution.com to report any issues so we can solve them quickly!

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 6,145
Well, my ideal player app would be a hybrid of Poweramp2 and UAPP... Basicly Poweramp2 with UAPPs DAC support...
But being realistic, I don't see that happening anytime soon...

Most features are "nice to haves" for me anyway, but what I really do like in my players is a nice clean looking UI. No offense, but the current UI is a bit of an eyesore. People do have very different tastes in this area though, so maybe an option to use custom themes?

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 6,145
Custom themes would indeed be a nice thing to have.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 6,145
Really enjoying this app with my LG G2 and Microstreamer or JDS Lab C5D. I previously owned HM901 and I don't really miss it that much. Fantastic sound. The UI and functionalities could be improved no doubt but for somebody mainly listening to full length albums it is absolutely fine. A crossfeed would make it even better.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 6,145
This is truely a great app. Best music player I've ever used in android but custom themes and/or nicer UI would be welcome.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 6,145
The feature I'd most like to see (by a pretty huge margin) is the ability to be used as a service so that other applications can utilize an external DAC. I use MOG (and a few other services) pretty regularly, and if UAPP could enable MOG et al. to play on all the DACs UAPP is currently compatible with, that would be absolutely fantastic!

Btw, although it's been said before: bravo on this app, Davy!! You've done a tremendous service to the audiophile Android community, and I know I'm not the only one who's appreciative. Keep up the great work :wink:

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 6,145
Nice to see this thread made. A short list of pretty vital feature need to be implemented.
> One app/window navigation
> Music folder selection, instead of scanning the whole phone
> One click to select and view all song from the artist, instead of hold and play all.
> Notification draw controls for music playback, lockscreen control was a great start.
> Options for alternative or even custom skins, current one is functional enough though.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 6,145
Thanks for starting this thread specifically for UAPP. First off, awesome player. I can't believe how good this sounds with my GS4 - OTG - Dragonfly. Just bought an OTG cable for my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and hope it sounds just as good. Harder to find a quality OTG cable for my tablet.

Anyway, a few things...

I still can't get AIFF to play and I have the latest update. The songs don't even show up. Anybody else have this issue?

Two quick recommendations: (1) ability to browse through files; (2) ability to use physical volume controls on the phone.

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 6,145
"Asus Xonar Essence One Muses" works perfectly with it.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 6,145
Rocking out to UAPP on my Note 2 + Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII. Fantastic player.

The one feature that I'd really like to see added: a better player widget. The current one is all fine and dandy, but I'd like to see one with both forward *and* back control as well as a window for to display current album art. This is the only real thing that I missed in moving from Poweramp and Neutron, as I just kept a large 4x4 widget on my phone's home screen.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #13 of 6,145
Thanks Davy 

I asked Davy also in an email re audio player pro on cyanogenmod. I know it works but am less clear on whether it would sound better than on android. 
Any info would be great on this as the lastest android (week or so ago) is glitchy with my apex glacier dac amp :frowning2: 

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #14 of 6,145
  Thanks Davy 

I asked Davy also in an email re audio player pro on cyanogenmod. I know it works but am less clear on whether it would sound better than on android. 
Any info would be great on this as the lastest android (week or so ago) is glitchy with my apex glacier dac amp :frowning2: 

Try enabling USB debugging and see if it changes anything on the glitching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back