USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jul 26, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #1,276 of 6,182
It seems it also depends on how an app feeds the audio to Android. For instance, on my iBasso DX200, the commands above always show 44.1kHz for UAPP, and actual, up to 96kHz - for foobar2000. At the same time I see in logcat output that UAPP provides not only 44.1kHz to the AudioTrack, but it does resampling for UAPP, and does not for foobar2000.

Have you set 'Android sample rate' to fixed 44.1 or Variable in UAPP?

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #1,277 of 6,182
Have you set 'Android sample rate' to fixed 44.1 or Variable in UAPP?
Variable, of course! As I already said, I see in the logcat that AudioTrack receives the actual sample rate, but then downsamples. I have no idea (didn't investigate) how foobar2000 works around it.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,278 of 6,182
Variable, of course! As I already said, I see in the logcat that AudioTrack receives the actual sample rate, but then downsamples. I have no idea (didn't investigate) how foobar2000 works around it.

But do you see a sample rate of 96000Hz when using foobar, even if it plays a 44.1kHz song?

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,279 of 6,182
But do you see a sample rate of 96000Hz when using foobar, even if it plays a 44.1kHz song?
No. I see 96k when I play 96k and above, and 44.1, 48, 88.2k when I play corresponding files. foobar2000 has internal limit set to 96kHz.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #1,280 of 6,182
No. I see 96k when I play 96k and above, and 44.1, 48, 88.2k when I play corresponding files. foobar2000 has internal limit set to 96kHz.

That's very uncommon and nothing Android generic at least. Perhaps the iBasso has been modified to function like that on for example the 16-bit path or when using OpenSLES. You could try enabling 'Force 16-bit' in UAPP and see if that changes anything. If that doesn't do it, then I can only assume that foobar uses OpenSLES. If you really want to find out you can install a demo of our Audio Evolution Mobile app, import a 96kHz file and set the Audio system preference to OpenSLES, since UAPP only does AudioTrack (since it's a fallback mode for when not using USB audio and in general there should be no difference in audio quality or usage between AudioTrack and OpenSLES because OpenSLES in the end usually uses the C++ AudioTrack interface anyway).

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #1,281 of 6,182
I am using UAPP on Onkyo DP-X1 and if I set the Android sampling rate to variable. Playing the 44.1kHz, 48kHz, or 96kHz files UAAP show the same sampling rate for Android and the file. Does it mean that when using UAAP on DP-X1, with this setup, Android does not resample?
Thank you for your reply, maybe the question I should have asked is what does it mean that Android supports variable sampling rate?. When UAPP shows for example "Android: 44100 Hz, file: 44100 Hz. or ", Android: 96000 Hz, file: 96000 Hz."? Which SRC is used in this case, the device or UAPP? Most folks I asked would agree that the UAPP SRC is most likely way better than Android, and therefore the setup that ensure to use the UAPP SRC would result in better quality.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #1,282 of 6,182
Hi, and sorry all for not checking this forum for the last months. Please post your questions again if they are not resolved yet.
Hello again!

Well, I think this is one is still an issue anytime an entire folder is added to the queue:
Don't know if anyone's noticed this, but after pressing "Party shuffle" for an entire folder the popup that shows the files being added tells you the progress percentage at the left, below the progress bar, in the format "nn%", and again the progress percentage at the right, in the format "nn/100". I think the idea was to show the exact number of files being added at the right side, and not the same percentage we could already see at the left side? :D

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #1,283 of 6,182
Thank you for your reply, maybe the question I should have asked is what does it mean that Android supports variable sampling rate?. When UAPP shows for example "Android: 44100 Hz, file: 44100 Hz. or ", Android: 96000 Hz, file: 96000 Hz."? Which SRC is used in this case, the device or UAPP? Most folks I asked would agree that the UAPP SRC is most likely way better than Android, and therefore the setup that ensure to use the UAPP SRC would result in better quality.

True. Without logcat or a frequency analyzer, you cannot know which sample rate is used. Android has no API for that. If you use variable sample rate, then audio is sent from UAPP to Android with its original rate (up to a certain limit depending on the Android version). So you can have a song at 96kHz and send it as is to Android with 'Variable sample rate' selected. Often, Android then resamples to 48000 or 44100Hz. In that case, using native sample rate and UAPP's SRC would probably sound better.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #1,285 of 6,182
@Davy Wentzler, could you please fix the following issue:

If I play DSD (from dff/dsf file, or SACD ISO), in Native DSD mode to a USB DAC, then pause the playback, disconnect the device, connect it again and resume playback, it starts playing in DSD-to-PCM mode. I have to restart the track to continue in Native DSD. If I exit UAPP being on pause and start it, and push Play to continue, it does the same - DSD-to-PCM.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,286 of 6,182
Quite a serious issue!! :darthsmile:
Anyway, solved for next release! :)
Cool, thanks!

Well hey, an issue can be serious if it has a big impact OR if it's encountered often. :) Many a marriage has fallen victim to ignoring the second side of that equation. :p

On another note: I'm really liking the crossfeed functionality lately, since I've created some headphone-correcting EQ profiles based on a method by dr. David Griesinger. No crossfeed effect on its own ever made anything sound like it was coming from in front of me, but in combination with these EQ profiles it sometimes works for some of the instruments or voices in some normal stereo recordings (with binaural recordings it gets more complicated). Whatever you did there, it's good, if combined with some personalized HRTF compensation. I will say I'm finding it a bit odd that the most "centralizing" effect seems to happen when I set the dB slider to the lowest, not the highest, value. Also, for the frequency slider I seem to get less and less benefit from any value below the 2 kHz maximum. Maybe it would lead to an even more realistic result if we could set this higher, up to 4-6-8 or even 16 kHz. Or does it increase CPU load or something?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #1,287 of 6,182
Please pardon me if these questions have been asked before. I couldn't find time to read through the entire thread due to the limited time I have on the web.

May I ask if the USB Audio Player Pro can work on Android 7.1.1 in terms of bit perfect transfer to external dac?
And also, can it work specifically on Oneplus 3T?
Thanks, gonna go ahead and purchase this app if it does.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #1,288 of 6,182
@Davy Wentzler, could you please fix the following issue:

If I play DSD (from dff/dsf file, or SACD ISO), in Native DSD mode to a USB DAC, then pause the playback, disconnect the device, connect it again and resume playback, it starts playing in DSD-to-PCM mode. I have to restart the track to continue in Native DSD. If I exit UAPP being on pause and start it, and push Play to continue, it does the same - DSD-to-PCM.

Thanks in advance!

That's indeed something we still need to address.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #1,289 of 6,182
Please pardon me if these questions have been asked before. I couldn't find time to read through the entire thread due to the limited time I have on the web.

May I ask if the USB Audio Player Pro can work on Android 7.1.1 in terms of bit perfect transfer to external dac?
And also, can it work specifically on Oneplus 3T?
Thanks, gonna go ahead and purchase this app if it does.

Yes to both. For the OnePlus3, you need to turn off battery optimization. Please select Android Settings, Battery, top-right menu, Aggressive doze and hibernation, turn it ON, then enable USB Audio Player PRO (which actually DISABLES optimization!), such that UAPP comes at the top in the list of 'Not optimized apps'. OnePlus have admitted the problem, but unfortunately will not do anything about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back