USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Dec 6, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #6,031 of 6,195
A2DP is a profile that defines commands and controls, it is not a codec and makes no reference to transmission quality, AptX is instead a codec that works under the A2DP profile. Neutron is viewing the profile while PowerAmp is viewing the codec.

You are right: the lowest quality codec that any mobile includes is SBC (Sub-Band Codec) but I did'nt know that A2DP is a profile that can work with any codec. Thank you for this information.

In any case, and unless someone tells me otherwise, UAPP (unlike Neutron and Poweramp) does not provide information anywhere about what codec it is using (in my case it can only be SBC or APTX)

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #6,032 of 6,195
I am using UAPP on DX160. Has anyone experienced high battery drain while pausing UAPP overnight? I am trying to eliminate what might be causing extreme battery drain for the last several days on my DX160.
Same here with UAPP and Hiby RS6. Over 70% battery drain over night.

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #6,033 of 6,195
Same here with UAPP and Hiby RS6. Over 70% battery drain over night.

While I have UAPP on my HiBy RS6, I don't use it over night.
I do use UAPP on my LG V35 over night, playing droning music/sound tracks, to mask outside sounds while I sleep.
Before the last updates, when playing music for 6 - 7 hours, I usually saw the battery drain less than 15% while in Airplane mode, or about 30% with the radios on.
Last night, with UAPP running and the radios on, the battery drained 57%.

Dec 16, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #6,034 of 6,195
Anyone have experience with UAPP on the Nvidia Shield? Seems to work well and I'm happy I can access Qobuz through my TV by using it. But one problem. It looks like its converting everything into android: 48khz. I've turned on bit perfect but its still converting. Any idea how to remove that on the Shield? I thought the Shield could decode the high res stream.

Maybe I need a DAC? I probably won't go that extra step (although I do have a DX 300, but I don't think I want to have to attach that every time I play).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #6,035 of 6,195
Hi guys I have findings (maybe already shared) on hidden "gain" while using UAPP, but it applies for non UAPP too. Basically it is how the android works that affect the sound power. My phone model is Vivo v9

You can also try these two simple test to confirm whether its true or not

First, you play media (video, games, etc) and push the + physical button on you phone to max the volume, after the volume max, keep push + button 20 times more. Then try to listen your favorite track (the one you really familiar) using UAPP. I usually use Rihanna's only girl in the world or E.T. kanye west and katy perry

Second, you play media again but this time push the physical - button on your phone to the min volume, after the volume min, keep push - button 20 times more. And then open android Settings > Sound and vibration and use slider there to max the volume. Then try to listen to your SAME favorite track in UAPP to compare..

From what I experience it affect the power and transient. A song that should sound energetic can become less energetic. A song that suppose to make you shake your head can sound losing its energy.

Your experience may differ, because I only tested it with my Vivo v9 and realme 9 phone. I would really appreciate anyone who tried it. I also plan to use non android transport device for my Cayin RU6 to see the difference versus UAPP

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #6,036 of 6,195
Hi,

Some things are always a mystery to me.

I have UAPP on my phone and UAPP on my Android streamer.
On the streamer I scanned the music library and then enabled the UAPP as a UPnP server.

Now, on my phone, if I ask UAPP to browse the UPnP/DLNA serers, it shows the UAPP Server on the streamer.
I can browse through the files.
But if I do so, I get no cover art :frowning2:
But if I then hit play the file begins to play on the streamer with UAPP as a target... and there, UAPP displays the cover art.

Puzzling :frowning2:

Or is there a setting I overlooked ?

Regards.

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #6,037 of 6,195
I was very happy play music from my SD card through UApp Pro on my LG V50, connected to my Dongles. That's said, my V50 is gone and now I can't use UApp because my new Samsung S23 doesn't have an SD card slot. Thus, I stopped using UApp and started playing music through Apple Music on the S23.

Here's the deal, the sound volume from my dongle (Apple Dongle to be specific), connected to the S23 and playing music through Apple Music, is significantly lower compared to the sound volume from the Apple Dongle connected to the LG V50 and playing music through UApp. This issue is driving me crazy, where does the issue lie? Is it with Apple Music, the S23, or the Apple Dongle? Can anyone help me with this?

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #6,038 of 6,195
I was very happy play music from my SD card through UApp Pro on my LG V50, connected to my Dongles. That's said, my V50 is gone and now I can't use UApp because my new Samsung S23 doesn't have an SD card slot. Thus, I stopped using UApp and started playing music through Apple Music on the S23.

Here's the deal, the sound volume from my dongle (Apple Dongle to be specific), connected to the S23 and playing music through Apple Music, is significantly lower compared to the sound volume from the Apple Dongle connected to the LG V50 and playing music through UApp. This issue is driving me crazy, where does the issue lie? Is it with Apple Music, the S23, or the Apple Dongle? Can anyone help me with this?
Could potentially have to do with the fact that UAPP bypasses the Android Audio layer and uses its own audio stack in order to be able to deliver hi-res audio. Apple Music simply uses the standard audio stack that Android provides. Android comes with its own (16-bit) standard settings.

Unfortunately since Apple Music is not supported by UAPP (Apple would probably never allow this anyway), the only real solution would be to change from Apple Music to Tidal or Qobuz. They both are supported by UAPP and would therefore allow to be played via the UAPP audio stack on the S23. This would effectively bypass the standard Android audio layer and solves the volume issue:)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #6,039 of 6,195

Interesting. I have two observations given I have 3cavtly the same setup as you; a V50, and an S23 Ultra both with uapp. With the V50 (and my v30) offline files downloaded using qobuz are not playable, it seems it will stream only their content. I have tried physically saving my flac library to an SD card, so maybe that would work.
The second thing I notice is that UAPP works perfectly well on my S23, both through it's own speakers, or via a USB dongle such as the Hidizs S9 pro plus that I've got. I'm presuming that I could save flac files onto my phone memory and stream from there using uapp if I wanted, not sure why that doesn't work for you?

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #6,040 of 6,195
Interesting. I have two observations given I have 3cavtly the same setup as you; a V50, and an S23 Ultra both with uapp. With the V50 (and my v30) offline files downloaded using qobuz are not playable, it seems it will stream only their content. I have tried physically saving my flac library to an SD card, so maybe that would work.
The second thing I notice is that UAPP works perfectly well on my S23, both through it's own speakers, or via a USB dongle such as the Hidizs S9 pro plus that I've got. I'm presuming that I could save flac files onto my phone memory and stream from there using uapp if I wanted, not sure why that doesn't work for you?
The issue that @HunqVux has on the S23 is having a different volume via Apple Music on the S23+dongle than UAPP on the V50+dongle ... While the output device (dongle) is the same, there is a distinct difference in source setup between the two.

It really is about two different scenarios. One is Flac files on a MicroSD card (for which a V50 is perfectly suited, and for which an S23 isn't .. The other is Apple Music, that works fine on both devices but that is limited in being able to drive a dongle via the default Android audio stack, something which UAPP excels at, being able to circumvent the entire Android audio layer.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #6,041 of 6,195
The issue that @HunqVux has on the S23 is having a different volume via Apple Music on the S23+dongle than UAPP on the V50+dongle ... While the output device (dongle) is the same, there is a distinct difference in source setup between the two.

It really is about two different scenarios. One is Flac files on a MicroSD card (for which a V50 is perfectly suited, and for which an S23 isn't .. The other is Apple Music, that works fine on both devices but that is limited in being able to drive a dongle via the default Android audio stack, something which UAPP excels at, being able to circumvent the entire Android audio layer.
OK got it, didn't read the post properly. Probably hadn't realised using a separate dongle with a V50, I think the majority of lg phone users own it specifically for the built in dac chipset.

Not tried storing and streaming flac on my s23, why is it less / not suited?

Dec 20, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #6,042 of 6,195
Not tried storing and streaming flac on my s23, why is it less / not suited?
Limited internal storage (on the cheaper models) and no microSD card slot 😃

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #6,043 of 6,195
With the V50 (and my v30) offline files downloaded using qobuz are not playable, it seems it will stream only their content. I have tried physically saving my flac library to an SD card, so maybe that would work.
Hi, this is too be expected.
Qobuz allows you to download files just to play them offline but just within their own app to avoid illegal downloading and copying.
So you're files are like "encrypted" to be played only by the qobuz app and not by third-party software like UAPP:frowning2:
You'll have to buy the music to download it in a way it can be played by something else then the qobuz app...

Dec 20, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #6,044 of 6,195
Hi, this is too be expected.
Qobuz allows you to download files just to play them offline but just within their own app to avoid illegal downloading and copying.
So you're files are like "encrypted" to be played only by the qobuz app and not by third-party software like UAPP:frowning2:
You'll have to buy the music to download it in a way it can be played by something else then the qobuz app...
Of course, that makes sense.

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #6,045 of 6,195
Could potentially have to do with the fact that UAPP bypasses the Android Audio layer and uses its own audio stack in order to be able to deliver hi-res audio. Apple Music simply uses the standard audio stack that Android provides. Android comes with its own (16-bit) standard settings.

Unfortunately since Apple Music is not supported by UAPP (Apple would probably never allow this anyway), the only real solution would be to change from Apple Music to Tidal or Qobuz. They both are supported by UAPP and would therefore allow to be played via the UAPP audio stack on the S23. This would effectively bypass the standard Android audio layer and solves the volume issue:)
Thank you! I will give the services you mentioned a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back