USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Apr 6, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #4,726 of 6,188
I did a search on playstore for FFmpeg and VLC did come up, so I think VLC can check files for encoding then output them correctly, either through a headphone htrf, or if it exists through the USB, a multichannel DAC. Another one that came up is MX Player. So there seems to be ways, was just hoping UAPP also could do this.

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #4,727 of 6,188
Noozxoide works with UAPP, tried it. Goodlcuk with your hunt for multichannel audio. They are not many and bit expensive.

Try Motu, Okto Research (dac8 Pro), Exasound (e68). Haven't tried them but they are multichannel DACs/Interface.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #4,728 of 6,188
Hi...need some help here.
I was listening to Tidal using UAPP over my Xiaomi Poco M3. Audio pause whenever I change the screen orientation. And while leaving it on a phone stand and continue playing music, I can hear audio dropout here and there throughout the whole song.

Rebooted the phone, problem persists.

Play the same track via Tidal apps, no dropout at all whether in vertical, horizontal or rotating it in hands.

Change cable and DAC and confirmed its not a hardware problem.

Anyone experienced this before? Is it something that can be fixed by tweaking the settings?

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #4,729 of 6,188
Hi...need some help here.
I was listening to Tidal using UAPP over my Xiaomi Poco M3. Audio pause whenever I change the screen orientation. And while leaving it on a phone stand and continue playing music, I can hear audio dropout here and there throughout the whole song.

Rebooted the phone, problem persists.

Play the same track via Tidal apps, no dropout at all whether in vertical, horizontal or rotating it in hands.

Change cable and DAC and confirmed its not a hardware problem.

Anyone experienced this before? Is it something that can be fixed by tweaking the settings?
You could try tweaking (increasing) internal hires audio, buffer size or network, buffer/chunk sizes. I'm not familiar with your device but this has worked for me on other DAPs.

You said something about changing DAC? Are you using USB audio or the internal hires driver?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #4,730 of 6,188
You said something about changing DAC? Are you using USB
I was using lotoo S1 and stoner acoustic UD130.

Tried increasing the buffer size today and it didn't fix the problem.

Now trying to turn off the Xiaomi background security scanning and optimization. Got no time to test the result extensively yet.

Thanks for the advice anyway. Much appreciated.

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #4,731 of 6,188
I was using lotoo S1 and stoner acoustic UD130.

Tried increasing the buffer size today and it didn't fix the problem.

Now trying to turn off the Xiaomi background security scanning and optimization. Got no time to test the result extensively yet.

Thanks for the advice anyway. Much appreciated.

If using USB, look at the USB audio tweaks instead (if you haven't already)...

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #4,732 of 6,188
Noozxoide works with UAPP, tried it. Goodlcuk with your hunt for multichannel audio. They are not many and bit expensive.

Try Motu, Okto Research (dac8 Pro), Exasound (e68). Haven't tried them but they are multichannel DACs/Interface.

Thanks, I'm all set with PC for multichannel, I actually have the earliest Exa product. The DIY one, sounds amazing. It is great to know that UAPP works with Nooz. But does UAPP decode multichannel files correctly?

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #4,733 of 6,188
IDK. Have always been a stereo guy. But I do have many multichannel SACD-ISOs and they all play correctly in my system.

Anyway you could download their tiral APK in their site.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #4,734 of 6,188
Ha, I already bought it. It will be great for stereo and I'm fine if that is all it can do. Perhaps the Devs will build in this capability later? I will be testing it out soon. :wink:

Apr 9, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #4,735 of 6,188
Hi all - first post, so please be gentle :slight_smile: I have come here because this seems the best forum and thread which informs about the USB Audio Player Pro app. Some months ago I got hold of a top-end DIY external USB DAC and have been trying to extract its max capability through to my HiFi setup. The DAC is this one: - https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32895957403.html - it is the "Gold Bundle 2" kit, the one with the Muses8920 OpAmps, Amanero Combo384 USB card and the infamous Sabre ES9038PRO DAC - amongst other goodies.

I have been very successful with DSD playback - getting up to DSD64 & DSD128, using my Samsung Tab S4 tablet with UAPP or my Zidoo Z1000 Pro media player and the full hog up to DSD512 using a Windows 10 laptop, using FooBar 2000 with Aiso drivers. Quite frankly, the SQ on my system has been nothing short of awesome!

Now I'd like to turn my attention to UAPP and its use with PCM (FLAC) source files and in particular using Tidal, using my Tablet once more.

What I'd like to know is what level of quality should I be able to receive? I've read a good hundred pages of this thread but of course I cannot find anything about my DAC. I am very confused with regards to UAPP and its settings. I have yet to playback any Masters (MQA) above 96/24. I was hoping to get 192/24 or maybe higher if the source stream allows. I have put this down to the limitations of my DAC. I probably have this wrong, but whilst I believe my setup is doing the first "unfold" I think my DAC isn't MQA enabled so the DAC doesn't do the second unfold. Does this limit the output from my DAC? Is there anyway to get the "higher" MQA quality?

I am absolutely new to the world of external DACs and am not really interested in Headphone listening. I am feedig my DAC's output from its RCA outputs into my Integrated Receiver (which doesn't have XLR ones) switched into "Pure Direct" mode. Sounds marvellous so far but as a dedicated audiophile on a limited budget, I'm always striving for more :smile:

I would appreciated any help, particularly regarding UAPP's settings and if there is anyone out there familiar with my DAC, who could advise if this could be improved on, to extract better Sound Quality.

Cheers

Apr 9, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #4,736 of 6,188
Hi all - first post, so please be gentle :slight_smile: I have come here because this seems the best forum and thread which informs about the USB Audio Player Pro app. Some months ago I got hold of a top-end DIY external USB DAC and have been trying to extract its max capability through to my HiFi setup. The DAC is this one: - https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32895957403.html - it is the "Gold Bundle 2" kit, the one with the Muses8920 OpAmps, Amanero Combo384 USB card and the infamous Sabre ES9038PRO DAC - amongst other goodies.

I have been very successful with DSD playback - getting up to DSD64 & DSD128, using my Samsung Tab S4 tablet with UAPP or my Zidoo Z1000 Pro media player and the full hog up to DSD512 using a Windows 10 laptop, using FooBar 2000 with Aiso drivers. Quite frankly, the SQ on my system has been nothing short of awesome!

Now I'd like to turn my attention to UAPP and its use with PCM (FLAC) source files and in particular using Tidal, using my Tablet once more.

What I'd like to know is what level of quality should I be able to receive? I've read a good hundred pages of this thread but of course I cannot find anything about my DAC. I am very confused with regards to UAPP and its settings. I have yet to playback any Masters (MQA) above 96/24. I was hoping to get 192/24 or maybe higher if the source stream allows. I have put this down to the limitations of my DAC. I probably have this wrong, but whilst I believe my setup is doing the first "unfold" I think my DAC isn't MQA enabled so the DAC doesn't do the second unfold. Does this limit the output from my DAC? Is there anyway to get the "higher" MQA quality?

I am absolutely new to the world of external DACs and am not really interested in Headphone listening. I am feedig my DAC's output from its RCA outputs into my Integrated Receiver (which doesn't have XLR ones) switched into "Pure Direct" mode. Sounds marvellous so far but as a dedicated audiophile on a limited budget, I'm always striving for more :smile:

I would appreciated any help, particularly regarding UAPP's settings and if there is anyone out there familiar with my DAC, who could advise if this could be improved on, to extract better Sound Quality.

Cheers

MQA is a confusing mess. You are correct, your DAC (USB without MQA decoder or renderer) can only play back the first unfold that is performed by UAPP (with the purchased add-on). Because MQA files are natively either 44.1 or 48 kHz streams, this means your maximum is 96 kHz (for MQA files that actually unfold - not all MQA files do). There is plenty of controversy on the value of subsequent unfolds/upsampling and MQA filtering, you will have to research for yourself. You might be better served by Qobuz, where you clearly know what you are getting without the MQA shenanigans... :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #4,737 of 6,188
Hello and welcome to Head-Fi.

- If your DAC is not MQA capable, then you would able to listen to its first unfold only (24/96).

- It depends on how DAC was designed to accept its inputs on various OS. Like yours mine could accept only DSD128 DOP from Linux/Android in USB, but DSD512 on Win10 using drivers. To test, here is a classic database of test tracks you counld try: http://www.2l.no/hires/

- on my experience, going "higher resolution is always good" is NOT always the case. BETTER RECORDIING is. I will rather choose a better recorded track in CD quality rather than a bad track on DSD512 at any day.

- I tend to prefer the sound of my Android box + UAPP rather than my PC. If a setting in UAPP that is important in SQ that would be enabling Bitperfect.

Enjoy your music!

Apr 9, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #4,738 of 6,188
I think some of the best sound available from home stereo system is to use no DAC at all. Use HQPlayer and upsample everything to DSD128 or DSD256 via DoP. Down stream instead of a DAC you just use a simple low pass filter, if you're into DiY? Audirvana or JRiver could also be used but HQP has very good built in filters for this. You may have to live with some pops and clicks but the music quality of this setup is sublime. Search for 'the best dac is no dac' on the goog. Very long thread on diyaudio.

Apr 9, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #4,739 of 6,188
Thank you everybody, your responses are very helpful. This was what I was looking for: "If your DAC is not MQA capable, then you would able to listen to its first unfold only (24/96)." I had thought this was the case but for the life of me, I could not find this confirmation on the forum. Saying though that higher resolution is not always the best has not been my experience so far with DSD. People said stick with DSD64 - well DSD128 sounded better and DSD256 and 512 blew that away lol! So I will now go to test some known 192/24 tracks and pass these through my DAC.

So far my DAC has sounded phenominal - I was hoping though that maybe someone could tell me how to update it to enable it to play MQA. Is it down to the USB Card do you know? I mean would it be possible to update the Amanero card to a better one to get say MQA and DSD256/512 - the latter, without having to go through windows? Or is this too simple? No I'm not into major DIY but if it was a simple mod, then I would be up for it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #4,740 of 6,188
MQA is controversial. Its creators have shunned fundamental questions. And many independfent findings tells us its just repackaged filtering and upsampling.
Here are some reads: here, here (loong thread).

I doubt you could find an MQA cert. USB interface card. Unless you sell your DAC and get an MQA DAC. But if I want to up the SQ in your case. I'll invest on a USB reclock/regen card say an ISO Regen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back