USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jan 28, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #2,371 of 6,156
Davy,

Iv'e tried that and it only glitched a couple of times, it seems some MQA Albums glitch slightly and others are fine

Thanks Gary

Jan 28, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #2,372 of 6,156
@Davy Wentzler

Hi Devy, could you please workout DSD playback in HiBy R6 DAP..
Whatewer settings i use For DSD (D2P, DoP, Native), UAPP reslampling it (
While the same file plays well in Neutron. So, I hope it can be done in UAPP too, becouse I love UAPP for playback..!
Thank you
Inked20190128_163622_LI.jpg Inked20190128_163215_LI.jpg

Jan 28, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #2,373 of 6,156
@Davy Wentzler

Hi Devy, could you please workout DSD playback in HiBy R6 DAP..
Whatewer settings i use For DSD (D2P, DoP, Native), UAPP reslampling it (
While the same file plays well in Neutron. So, I hope it can be done in UAPP too, becouse I love UAPP for playback..!
Thank you

I need someone with a R6 and ADB experience for that, or PC tech knowledge.

Jan 28, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #2,374 of 6,156
I need someone with a R6 and ADB experience for that, or PC tech knowledge.

I can do ADB in my PC (windows).. not really expert, but can try to help. Tell me..

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #2,376 of 6,156
Davy,

I have to say I am also getting occasional pops and clicks when streaming Tidal in UAPP on my V30 (Internal HiRes driver, only MQA flag set). Usually it gets better after rebooting the phone, but seems to come back after awhile.

I know you recommend using OkHTTP client, but for me HTTPUrlConnection seems to have fewer clicks and pops. It is clearly worse on higher bitrate MQA tracks than lower bitrate 16/44 tracks. I have a 100mbps internet connection, ping usually in the 10ms range, router in same room.

I've tried different Network chunk sizes (System menu) but doesn't seem to affect it - or at least it doesn't solve it. Network buffer size is 15 seconds (System menu). I'll try raising Buffer size (Internal HiRes menu) as you suggested. It's been at 600ms so far.

I should add that the same issue can occur when streaming in the Tidal app, and I think Tidal's servers may be to blame. But I'd have thought good buffering should prevent it. For Master/MQA tracks I generally download them in the Tidal app instead which avoids the problem. Of course I cannot do that with 16/44 tracks since the Tidal app will send them to the Android Mixer.

If there is anything I can provide that will help diagnose this, please let me know.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #2,377 of 6,156
Davy,

I have to say I am also getting occasional pops and clicks when streaming Tidal in UAPP on my V30 (Internal HiRes driver, only MQA flag set). Usually it gets better after rebooting the phone, but seems to come back after awhile.

I know you recommend using OkHTTP client, but for me HTTPUrlConnection seems to have fewer clicks and pops. It is clearly worse on higher bitrate MQA tracks than lower bitrate 16/44 tracks. I have a 100mbps internet connection, ping usually in the 10ms range, router in same room.

I've tried different Network chunk sizes (System menu) but doesn't seem to affect it - or at least it doesn't solve it. Network buffer size is 15 seconds (System menu). I'll try raising Buffer size (Internal HiRes menu) as you suggested. It's been at 600ms so far.

I should add that the same issue can occur when streaming in the Tidal app, and I think Tidal's servers may be to blame. But I'd have thought good buffering should prevent it. For Master/MQA tracks I generally download them in the Tidal app instead which avoids the problem. Of course I cannot do that with 16/44 tracks since the Tidal app will send them to the Android Mixer.

If there is anything I can provide that will help diagnose this, please let me know.

Pops and clicks cannot be due to network issues, they are due to the audio callback not being serviced in time. Higher buffer sizes could solve that, but if the official Tidal app causes it as well, then I don't think anything can be done about it. If it's late callbacks, then enabling 'Logging to file' and looking at the UAPP.txt file after it happens would show it.

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #2,378 of 6,156
@Davy Wentzler I was wondering if it would be possible to have a jump to artist just below view album on the top right dropdown on the main playing now screen

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #2,380 of 6,156
Jan 29, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #2,384 of 6,156
Pops and clicks cannot be due to network issues, they are due to the audio callback not being serviced in time. Higher buffer sizes could solve that, but if the official Tidal app causes it as well, then I don't think anything can be done about it. If it's late callbacks, then enabling 'Logging to file' and looking at the UAPP.txt file after it happens would show it.

Thank you very much for that. So it's a performance issue, not network. I've been looking in the wrong place then!

I should have added that I am in Battery Saver mode most of the time then. But turning that off (or excepting UAPP) does not seem to affect the issue much, which is strange if it's a callback not being serviced in time. While I have indeed experienced this in the Tidal app, we're talking very occasionally -- maybe 2-3 times ever, and never in offline mode -- whereas it happens almost anytime I stream Tidal in UAPP. That's why I assumed it was a network issue.

Knowing it's a late callback issue helps a lot. That explains why rebooting helps for awhile. I'll keep digging and let you know if/when I find the culprit. Sounds like logging might help.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #2,385 of 6,156
Thank you very much for that. So it's a performance issue, not network. I've been looking in the wrong place then!

I should have added that I am in Battery Saver mode most of the time then. But turning that off (or excepting UAPP) does not seem to affect the issue much, which is strange if it's a callback not being serviced in time. While I have indeed experienced this in the Tidal app, we're talking very occasionally -- maybe 2-3 times ever, and never in offline mode -- whereas it happens almost anytime I stream Tidal in UAPP. That's why I assumed it was a network issue.

Knowing it's a late callback issue helps a lot. That explains why rebooting helps for awhile. I'll keep digging and let you know if/when I find the culprit. Sounds like logging might help.

Thanks again!

Well, not a network issue in the sense that data comes in late, since that would give other problems (repeating audio data and stopping playback for several seconds). If the WiFi driver is badly written and shares interrupts with the audio chip, then yes, glitches can occur more often. If you experience it with WiFi turned off and playing local files, then we can exclude WiFi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back