USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Aug 6, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,741 of 6,201
Yes the aac codec seems to filter out digital noise that I object to. I now realise the 'improved' SQ ive been getting recently is due to switching from flac to 320.

Rex, just to clarify what is getting filtered out isn’t "digital noise." It's actual digital information which captured the more subtle sonic details in the original file. Keep an open mind as all our tastes evolve over time. You may later come to like the higher fidelity of FLAC. However, there is no reason to force yourself to like something just because it’s higher quality and others prefer it.

Aug 11, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #1,742 of 6,201
I have done 18-channel 24-bit recordings on that Tab A, it should do just fine.

I have just tried out my Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with the trial version of UAPP, and it works great with my Mojo and HD800S. I think I will buy the UAPP app. I have a puzzle though. I like to experiment, and I was told that the Samsung Music app works for FLAC file USB audio, but with it there is no sound output on USB to the Mojo. It's as if the Samsung Music app and Android 6.0 Nougat don't have a USB driver, or won't play FLAC files. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #1,743 of 6,201
I have just tried out my Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with the trial version of UAPP, and it works great with my Mojo and HD800S. I think I will buy the UAPP app. I have a puzzle though. I like to experiment, and I was told that the Samsung Music app works for FLAC file USB audio, but with it there is no sound output on USB to the Mojo. It's as if the Samsung Music app and Android 6.0 Nougat don't have a USB driver, or won't play FLAC files. Any ideas?

It's one of the reasons that UAPP was made, because of bad USB audio support on Android.

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #1,744 of 6,201
Hey. Not sure if this is a new feature from the latest update (4.3.9), but I've noticed that when I put the "Internal audio driver" setting to HiRes Direct Driver, I get "Failed to find or setup HiRes DAC!" when I try to play anything. This happens on my Axon 7 (latest stock nougat). I've also noticed, that in the past, the "resample" setting didn't make any difference. What is the algorithm of the upsampling? I would really like a SoX resampler implemented. (ofc, the HiRes DAC needs to be properly used for that to make the difference I'm looking for)

Thanks.

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,745 of 6,201
Hey. Not sure if this is a new feature from the latest update (4.3.9), but I've noticed that when I put the "Internal audio driver" setting to HiRes Direct Driver, I get "Failed to find or setup HiRes DAC!" when I try to play anything. This happens on my Axon 7 (latest stock nougat). I've also noticed, that in the past, the "resample" setting didn't make any difference. What is the algorithm of the upsampling? I would really like a SoX resampler implemented. (ofc, the HiRes DAC needs to be properly used for that to make the difference I'm looking for)

Thanks.

Did it work before in HiRes mode before? The app uses Soxr in highest quality mode for resampling.

Aug 16, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,746 of 6,201
Did it work before in HiRes mode before?

To be honest, I can't remember if the setting was really there in the previous version (If it was there, I would most likely have put it on "HiRes Direct Driver", and noticed the error earlier). I have played some 24bit 192khz files before the latest update, and it was properly reported (Android: 192kHz File: 192kHz ... etc). But now that It works only when "Original Android Driver" is selected, I don't think that what the player reports is accurate (but ofc, I'm not sure). It's still shows (Android: 192kHz File: 192kHz) even when the "Original Android Driver" is selected, but yeah... I don't know. All I know is that no matter what, there is a noticeable quality difference between it and the atrocious default player.

The app uses Soxr in highest quality mode for resampling.

Thanks for clarifying that. BTW which is the highest quality resampling mode? The options are "off", "on" and "on - integer multiple" (which is the one I use ofc)

Aug 16, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #1,747 of 6,201
To be honest, I can't remember if the setting was really there in the previous version (If it was there, I would most likely have put it on "HiRes Direct Driver", and noticed the error earlier). I have played some 24bit 192khz files before the latest update, and it was properly reported (Android: 192kHz File: 192kHz ... etc). But now that It works only when "Original Android Driver" is selected, I don't think that what the player reports is accurate (but ofc, I'm not sure). It's still shows (Android: 192kHz File: 192kHz) even when the "Original Android Driver" is selected, but yeah... I don't know. All I know is that no matter what, there is a noticeable quality difference between it and the atrocious default player.

Thanks for clarifying that. BTW which is the highest quality resampling mode? The options are "off", "on" and "on - integer multiple" (which is the one I use ofc)

If you can post a screenshot from the About section or tell me what is stated exactly behind 'MODEL', then I can tell if it's supposed to be supported. While you are in the About section, please select 'Email audio config file' and send me the email refererring to this thread.

The resampling option has no influence when using the Original Android driver. You cannot set the quality, it's always at the highest setting. You can just turn it off and strict on or on if possible. But again, all items in the HiRes or USB audio settings have no influence when playing through the original Android driver.

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #1,748 of 6,201
Novice question: I have UAPP installed in my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 and it works fine with my Mojo and HD800s to play FLAC files I have sent over from my PC. The problem is that on selection of the UAPP app from the home screen on the Tab A it does not display any sort of UAPP settings control screen, which would allow selection/deselection of 16-bit override, EQ, etc. etc. I can't find any way of getting the UAPP settings control screen. It just automatically goes to the downloaded CD album folders page.

Aug 16, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,749 of 6,201
Novice question: I have UAPP installed in my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 and it works fine with my Mojo and HD800s to play FLAC files I have sent over from my PC. The problem is that on selection of the UAPP app from the home screen on the Tab A it does not display any sort of UAPP settings control screen, which would allow selection/deselection of 16-bit override, EQ, etc. etc. I can't find any way of getting the UAPP settings control screen. It just automatically goes to the downloaded CD album folders page.

There is a three bar icon on the top left which brings you to a menu list. Scroll down to "settings." There is a host of functions and options. You can also pull this up by swiping from the left edge at any time.

As for EQ, there is a small icon on the top that looks like a tiny Graphic EQ meter. That will bring you to the DSP functions of UAPP. There is a free graphic EQ which is serviceable. If you want to dig deep though, the cheap, paid parametric EQ from Toneboosters is unbelievable good for such a small format.

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #1,750 of 6,201
Davy,

Not sure if your aware of the new Chord Poly that is coming out, but if so, will UAPP be able to output bitperfect to the Chord Mojo/Poly over its wireless link?

Ideally want to keep using UAPP but will be moving away from having the Mojo connected to phone via OTG USB cable.

Did you ever get a reply to this question. I have the Chord Poly and I prefer to use UAPP , but when I am using the UPNP protocol with UAPP I cannot choose the renderer I would want, ie Chord Poly and then have a choice of server in this case UAPP

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,751 of 6,201
There is a three bar icon on the top left which brings you to a menu list. Scroll down to "settings." There is a host of functions and options. You can also pull this up by swiping from the left edge at any time.

As for EQ, there is a small icon on the top that looks like a tiny Graphic EQ meter. That will bring you to the DSP functions of UAPP. There is a free graphic EQ which is serviceable. If you want to dig deep though, the cheap, paid parametric EQ from Toneboosters is unbelievable good for such a small format.

Thanks. I used the option select page to select Bit Perfect mode. A significant improvement.

Another novice question: when I send FLAC audio files over from my PC to my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 they get automatically stored as Samsung Music files in the tablet (even though I have deleted the Samsung Music app). These files are not listed under "internal storage" folders on the UAPP folders page. So there is no immediate way of playing them with UAPP. Is there some way of getting these FLAC files automatically available and visible in the UAPP music file list?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #1,752 of 6,201
Thanks. I used the option select page to select Bit Perfect mode. A significant improvement.

Another novice question: when I send FLAC audio files over from my PC to my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 they get automatically stored as Samsung Music files in the tablet (even though I have deleted the Samsung Music app). These files are not listed under "internal storage" folders on the UAPP folders page. So there is no immediate way of playing them with UAPP. Is there some way of getting these FLAC files automatically available and visible in the UAPP music file list?

Wish I could help, but I'm a Tidal/ Mac user. Hope someone else can chime in.

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #1,753 of 6,201
How to get UAPP to let go?
I'm using UAPP with my Pixel 2. When I plug in either a Dragonfly Red or the Google USB-C to 3.5mm-Headphone Adapter I get a popup saying "Open USB Audio Player PRO to handle...." If I want to play Pandora or Audible I chose Cancel and it works fine. However if I want to play something with UAPP and I press OK, everything works, but when when I want to switch back to, say, Audible, I can't get any sound output unless I restart the phone. I've tried stopping the UAPP app, but that doesn't change anything. Is there a way to get UAPP to release the output of other sound apps without restarting the phone?

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #1,754 of 6,201

How do you send the FLAC files from the PC to the Tablet?
If you're using Samsung software, installed on the PC - maybe try uninstalling that software, and use the Windows File Browser instead.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #1,755 of 6,201
How do you send the FLAC files from the PC to the Tablet?
If you're using Samsung software, installed on the PC - maybe try uninstalling that software, and use the Windows File Browser instead.

I use a USB A male to micro USB B male cable. On the PC I select File Explorer, then select My PC, double click on the Music folder, then right click on the FLAC music file that is wanted, then select copy. Then I select My PC again, right click on Galaxy Tab A, then select paste. That causes the FLAC file to be transmitted to the tablet over the USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back