USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Apr 30, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #1,532 of 6,177
Is there any way I can verify that the HiRes driver in UAPP is being used (instead of of Android driver) in Samsung S9+?

The only true verification is capturing the audio output and doing frequency analysis. The next release of UAPP has support for the
Samsung S9+ (Qualcomm Snapdragon 845). If you have this variant and not the Exynos, all it should take is enabling the 'Direct' flag (and not any others) in the HiRes driver flags.

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,534 of 6,177
@Davy Wentzler, on my Fiio X7 mark II, the play/pause and track control HW buttons do not work. The volume wheel works though. Any ideas?

May 1, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #1,535 of 6,177
The only true verification is capturing the audio output and doing frequency analysis. The next release of UAPP has support for the
Samsung S9+ (Qualcomm Snapdragon 845). If you have this variant and not the Exynos, all it should take is enabling the 'Direct' flag (and not any others) in the HiRes driver flags.
In other words, you can't actually hear the difference?

May 1, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #1,537 of 6,177
I didn't say that. It's just that I prefer proof.
I know this isn't the place for this, and with all due respect, but if your hearing isn't enough proof, then what's the point?
I do use and love the app. I hopped on board in the days of USB audio recorder to enable external dacs to be used. I love the UI, and i love the fact that you've added cue sheet support, even though I remember I requested that a few years back and you said no .

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #1,538 of 6,177
Hope I can try...

We need "scientific" data for testing/confirmation. Not all have sensitive ears. (And that is how products are made of right? Design/Testing) Hence "Capturing audio output and do frequency analysis".

You can hook up your smartphone to an audio interface/ADC unit and record its output. Analyze sound file thru a spectograph for example.

This is what I did a while back when UAPP did not have a Hires driver. To confirm that I was hearing more thru the built-in app of my LG V20 than UAPP, I made this little experiment more than a year ago.

LG built in music app:
WpDT8TXl.jpg

Old UAPP (no Hires driver)
cCjZoEkl.jpg

See the difference on the graphs? Why does the spectrograph of the built-in LG music app gave more? So was there something missing from UAPP that it fell short (tops only at 23k)? Therefore I/we were bugging Davy for it. Hence we have now the Hires Driver!

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #1,539 of 6,177
I know this isn't the place for this, and with all due respect, but if your hearing isn't enough proof, then what's the point?
I do use and love the app. I hopped on board in the days of USB audio recorder to enable external dacs to be used. I love the UI, and i love the fact that you've added cue sheet support, even though I remember I requested that a few years back and you said no .

You are right. I'd like you guys and girls to do all the listening and I do the proof, ok?

May 2, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #1,540 of 6,177
@Davy Wentzler, on my Fiio X7 mark II, the play/pause and track control HW buttons do not work. The volume wheel works though. Any ideas?

The fix that was done a couple of releases ago for this problem (that never occurred on any of our devices including the Fiio X5iii, but seemed to happen for a lot of people using the exact same Android devices), was playing silence for half a second on the standard Android driver when starting the app. This would 'trick' Android into thinking that the app plays audio using the official audio path and made the buttons working. Why it is still not working for you, I don't know. I tried it a couple of days ago again in 4.2.5 on a Fiio X5iii and that still worked (but it always worked for me anyway). If you play using the Android driver, are the buttons working then?

May 2, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #1,541 of 6,177
The fix that was done a couple of releases ago for this problem (that never occurred on any of our devices including the Fiio X5iii, but seemed to happen for a lot of people using the exact same Android devices), was playing silence for half a second on the standard Android driver when starting the app. This would 'trick' Android into thinking that the app plays audio using the official audio path and made the buttons working. Why it is still not working for you, I don't know. I tried it a couple of days ago again in 4.2.5 on a Fiio X5iii and that still worked (but it always worked for me anyway). If you play using the Android driver, are the buttons working then?
Davy,
I switched to Android driver, then back to Hires. That fixed the issue. HW buttons are working again.

May 2, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #1,542 of 6,177
Davy,
I switched to Android driver, then back to Hires. That fixed the issue. HW buttons are working again.

Ok, I just received an email from someone with an entirely different config who said that the hw volume worked on 4.2.4 and not anymore on 4.2.5, so I guess I messed something up in 4.2.5. I'll try to find out, but I'm glad the work-around does it for now.

May 3, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,543 of 6,177
I just reinstalled UAPP and I can't for the life of me find the option/toggle to display only 1 line item (all discs combined) per album in the Library, instead of 1 line per disc for the same album. I've been at it for a good fifteen minutes... could someone kindly show me how?

Edit: This is UAPP v4.3.0 on an LG V30+ ThinQ running Oreo

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #1,544 of 6,177
Hope I can try...

We need "scientific" data for testing/confirmation. Not all have sensitive ears. (And that is how products are made of right? Design/Testing) Hence "Capturing audio output and do frequency analysis".

You can hook up your smartphone to an audio interface/ADC unit and record its output. Analyze sound file thru a spectograph for example.

This is what I did a while back when UAPP did not have a Hires driver. To confirm that I was hearing more thru the built-in app of my LG V20 than UAPP, I made this little experiment more than a year ago.

LG built in music app:
WpDT8TXl.jpg

Old UAPP (no Hires driver)
cCjZoEkl.jpg

See the difference on the graphs? Why does the spectrograph of the built-in LG music app gave more? So was there something missing from UAPP that it fell short (tops only at 23k)? Therefore I/we were bugging Davy for it. Hence we have now the Hires Driver!
Not meaning to labour the point, but one may believe they hear benefits to sq with the HR driver, and measurements may confirm this, but re: blind testing, and well you know the rest.

May 4, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #1,545 of 6,177
I have the "Play Through Android" checkbox OFF, and "Use USB DAC" check box ON, but the app still plays music through my phone speakers even when no DAC is connected. How can I be sure that it is using my DAC when a DAC is connected?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back