upgrade from Panasonic HJE900
Dec 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bonobo

Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new IEM. Unfortunately it will be a 'blind' buy as I know nowhere where I can listen to (high end) IEM's.
What would be a good upgrade from my current Panasonic HJE900?
I think (but am not sure) that a neutral IEM is not to my liking. From what I read something like a UM3X, ER4P and others will be a bit too 'flat', for lack of a better word. I often read you don't get a 'wow' factor from these. Which is sort of what I'm after I guess.

I did some research and came up with a few suggestions myself, in no particular order:

UE Triple fi 10 (replaced by UE900 now?)
GR07
Jays Q-Jays
JVC FX700
Westone 3
Shure SE535

I have a wide range of music which I listen. No hard rock though. Most of the listening is done via my Sony X1060, or PC even.

Any suggestions?

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 9
Specific budget? I'd go for the W3 or the FX700 if you're aiming for the "fun" sound.  There's also the IE8/80 and the Turbine Pro Copper/Gold/Tributes line to look at. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 9
I second the FX700. It'll keep a similar style signature to the HJE's and be an upgrade in just about every sense by a good margin except isolation. If you need to wear them on public transport, look elsewhere unfortunately. I auditioned them for a few weeks and promised myself I'd get a pair when I could. They do sound very different from anything else I've heard though so in that sense they are a risk.

Good luck!

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 9
After further reading I have now come up with a few different suggestions, most likely a class lower than my previous suggestions, but it's now between:

JVC FXT90
Yamaha EPH-100

and I still need to look further into TDK BA200.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 9
I was just about to suggest the TDK BA200. I'm currently on a love affair with them. They are just as detailed as Etymotic ER4S, if not a little more so in bass and sub-bass regions, and aren't as aggressive-sounding. They have dual-balanced armature Knowles ( I believe ) drivers and out-perform everything else I've heard in their ~$150 class, including the TF10. And the TF10 is better than both the EPH-100 or FXT90.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 9
The BA200 are very good. I can do a quick AB sometime this week if you'd like. From memory, the BA200 is somewhat similar in the upper mids with great energy but less harsh, which is an improvement to me. I loved the energy of higher female vocals and violins but could have done without the bleeding ears and the BA200 do exactly that. They also pretty much tear the HJE to shreds in soundstage and resolution; less midbass quantity though.

Let me know what you like or don't like/are looking to change in the Panasonics and I'll compare to the BA200 quickly. Though they may have un-burned in from lack of recent use =/

The FXT-90 might be a nice cheaper choice. I'd ask around in that appreciation thread.

@Soundstige
I remember reading somewhere that they may be Sonion drivers in the BA200. No confirmation that I've seen though and they are custom tuned by TDK.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 9
Should be a happy Christmas :beerchug:

If you have the time, let us know how you like them compared to the HJE900's.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Should be a happy Christmas
beerchug.gif

If you have the time, let us know how you like them compared to the HJE900's.

Will do vwinter. Thx for your comments.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back