Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
May 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #3,181 of 3,931
Quote:
Since you're an existing UM customer (for a high-end Merlin, no less) and may be looking at having re-shells done in future, it seems more than reasonable to at least ask UM Lab if they'll help with a single earpiece.

Yeh I should just ask UM themselves but just thought i'd float my ideas here first.  Also I always get the feeling that UM is too busy to read and answer emails properly.  They reply but never inspire confidence.

May 2, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #3,182 of 3,931
Quote:
Yeh I should just ask UM themselves but just thought i'd float my ideas here first.  Also I always get the feeling that UM is too busy to read and answer emails properly.  They reply but never inspire confidence.

shoot Setphen Guo at custome-iem.com an email.. he usually responses within an hour at reasonable time in China..

May 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3,183 of 3,931
Alrighty, let's try and clarify a few things here.

A few general rules for those of you creating interesting combinations of your existing IEM's.

1. Upgrades

If you have an IEM that has only one dedicated bass driver, it is likely that our existing crossovers allow this to be upgraded.  A good example here is the W3/UM3X, LW3, or even perhaps a TWFK based IEM that doesn't already have a bass driver.

If you have a TWFK based IEM, we can add one, or even two bass drivers to it, allowing the TWFK to do what it does best.  Mids and Highs.

2. Crossovers

Something to remember, we have in house 2 way, 3 way crossovers made for duals, triples, quads, sixes, eights.  We won't offer the upgrade, if we don't have a preexisting (already developed and tested) crossover available for it.

3. Frankensteining is a RARITY.

The only time this might happen is if you had a TWFK based IEM that you wanted to use as part of an upgrade of an IEM that has DUAL LOW's already.  Like the TF10 or SE530.  In this case, we could use your dual lows of the TF10/SE530, scrap the existing high, add in the TWFK for high's and then add in two mid drivers for a six driver IEM.  

If you think about it like this, you may understand why frankensteining does not usually work.

Let say we have a SF5 that we wanted to combine with our TF10.  Both from UE right? So it should be no problem!  Wrong.
Have a look at the rough diagram below that we quickly chucked together.  It's shows quite clearly why you can't just slap IEM's together as there is frequency overlap, or you end up with 3 bass drivers, two that will cover the same frequency properly and one that will react differently.  Hopefully this shed's some light and helps you guys in your attempts to figure out what you can combine.

Basically, as you can see with the TWFK, it has the most potential to be combined with something, simply because you can add a bass driver, a good crossover and have a great triple.

Lets run through a few combos.

I got a TF10 and a UE700 I want to combine the two can i? - Let's have a look at our crossovers.  We could put in a 3 way crossover, so we have dual bass single mid, single high.  So we'll scrap the existing TF10 high end driver.  Or we could put in a three way crossover, add two mid drivers and let the TWFK only do the highs, also scrapping the existing TF10 high.

TF10 + SF5 - we could use a two way crossover and take the SF5 high and ditch the TF10 high...but why?  Thats going backwards.

How about my W4 and my TF10.  We've got four bass drivers here.  The TF10 bass drivers cover a wider FR spectrum than the W4, so they will not work well together.   The W4 has a mid driver and the TF10 doesn't so we have to keep that.  Now we have two totally different high end drivers.  See how this one just isn't ever going to happen?

4 - Custom tuning

We don't ever like doing this.  The risk of ending up with something that you guys (our clients) don't like and then having an extended period of back forthing to work it out is not worth it.  This includes oddities like combining stereo inputs into a single sided IEM.

5 - Warranty

Re-shells are covered by our standard one year on the shell.  Drivers are not covered.  For upgrades we'll cover the additional driver/drivers for a year.  Haven't had one fail on us yet.  Yes we can figure out which driver is damaged and if its not ours we'll charge you for the repair.  Naturally, sockets, wiring etc, all covered for one year.

6 - Refits

30 days for a re-shell.  We at UMG have a notification only policy.  You must notify us of your intent to return them within 30 days for a refit, but we do want you to get your impressions to us ASAP for them to be refitted.
With our re-shelling service, you can pretty much guarantee that the most a fix is going to cost you is the full price of a re-shell, if say you stomp on your IEM's.  Regarding driver damage, the worst that can happen is that we need to replace the driver, usually around $50 a pop.
Apart from our promo customers, we haven't left anyone out there to dry yet....JOKES.

I speak only for Unique Melody Global unfortunately. Including UM Aus/Brazil/Indonesia/Philippines/Malaysia/United Kingdom/ and select UMG representatives in the USA. Other dealers and representatives may have differing or better warranty policies, we leave this to them.

May 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #3,185 of 3,931
Quote:

Hi thanks. I got responses from stephen at customiem.com too but they were very brief. This is a much more comprehensive answer.  He too said that it can't be done with the ue600 as it uses a full range driver and would result in too much overlap.  And my knowledge of crossovers is pretty limited.  I thought that it was the job of the crossover to limit certain frequency ranges so as to not result in too much overlap? Anyhow stephen also said that UM won't do two channels in a singe side.  So that leaves me with either ordering half a set of customs for my wife (not sure if that's half price or not?), reshelling my se535s and reshelling the ue600(which i'm sure i won't bother doing).

I think if my merlins arrive and the fit is good i might reshell my se535s but am undecided. I don't think i'd risk upgrading it as i've read too many stories of woe.  Since i don't care what happens to the ue600 it would have been a better candidate for experimentation.

May 3, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #3,186 of 3,931

A few general rules for those of you creating interesting combinations of your existing IEM's.

Thanks Matt, since you're around, mind clarifying the question we had about a page or two ago, relating to reshell warranty?

I.e. what are UMAus/Global warranty periods on vanilla reshells (3m for ciem.com, not sure for UMAU/Global) reshell + driver upgrade (well, I know driver upgrades are a year) ? Stephen may chip in too.

Furthermore, it'd be nice if UM dealers (incl both ciem and umaus/global) officially clarify about warranty periods and returning IEMs for a retune, or fit adjustment within a few days of purchase. (seeing how it takes months for some people, it is an important question). Tho Matt did reassure me if anything goes wrong we UM will take care of us and I really don't doubt that, I think these kind of think should be stated outright.

May 3, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #3,187 of 3,931
Thanks for the encouragement Kunlun.

Warranty

Re-shells are covered by our standard one year on the shell.  Drivers are not covered.  For upgrades we'll cover the additional driver/drivers for a year.  Haven't had one fail on us yet.  Yes we can figure out which driver is damaged and if its not ours we'll charge you for the repair.  Naturally, sockets, wiring etc, all covered for one year.

Refits

30 days for a re-shell.  We at UMG have a notification only policy.  You must notify us of your intent to return them within 30 days for a refit, but we do want you to get your impressions to us ASAP for them to be refitted.

With our re-shelling service, you can pretty much guarantee that the most a fix is going to cost you is the full price of a re-shell, if say you stomp on your IEM's.  Regarding driver damage, the worst that can happen is that we need to replace the driver, usually around $50 a pop.

Apart from our promo customers, we haven't left anyone out there to dry yet....JOKES.

May 3, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #3,188 of 3,931
Quote:

Warranty

Refits

Thank you for such clear explanations as well as dedicating your time to us, current and future customers! 
wink.gif

I just to ask one question regarding the warranty. Are your words regarding to the warranty applicable to all dealers of UM, or only UMG?

May 3, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #3,189 of 3,931
I speak only for Unique Melody Global unfortunately.  Including UM Aus/Brazil/Indonesia/Philippines/Malaysia/United Kingdom/ and select UMG representatives in the USA.  Other dealers and representatives may have differing or better warranty policies, we leave this to them.

May 3, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #3,190 of 3,931

Warranty

Refits

Thanks for that.

not quite what I was asking. about refits/fix ups of order problems/etc. Is the warranty appropriately extended to restart from when the customer gets the fit for purpose IEMs back from you?

>Re-shells are covered by our standard one year on the shell.  Drivers are not covered.  

ah ok, so if the wiring is a bit off or something it's covered, if a driver dies it's not. That's sorta mostly alright. I doubt it's in any way likely that UM will screw up a driver in a reshell. If anything I think you guys replaced one for me for free for my sm3. or was it 3x6.

May 3, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #3,191 of 3,931
It was your x6.  Honestly we (UMG) aren't going to sting you if you are OOW by a day or something.  UMLab starts warranties from the day it leaves the lab.  We don't really mind, as long as its not too far out of warranty.  Who's arguing over the price of a single driver here and there.  Not us.  We'll look after our clients.

May 3, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #3,192 of 3,931
I understand LW3 uses TWFK and CL drivers.. so if I get a reshell + 1 CL driver is it possible to tune it to sound like the UM Mage? I've got a second hand LW3 on hand so I'm saving up for a reshell.

May 3, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #3,193 of 3,931
It was your x6.  Honestly we (UMG) aren't going to sting you if you are OOW by a day or something.  UMLab starts warranties from the day it leaves the lab.  We don't really mind, as long as its not too far out of warranty.  Who's arguing over the price of a single driver here and there.  Not us.  We'll look after our clients.

Thanks Matt :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back