Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #3,151 of 3,931
after about a month of listening to TF10x6.... I'm starting to regret about all this getting into hifi thing... the damn thing is too sensitive/revealing... any distortion is enlarged by so much that some of my songs are unlistenable. :frowning2: 

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #3,152 of 3,931

Quote:
after about a month of listening to TF10x6.... I'm starting to regret about all this getting into hifi thing... the damn thing is too sensitive/revealing... any distortion is enlarged by so much that some of my songs are unlistenable. :frowning2: 

Listen to properly mastered songs
tongue.gif

May 1, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #3,159 of 3,931
Well buying based on one person's impressions would be highly silly indeed. I read 187 pages of this thread (and other UM oriented threads in Head-fi) before going for UM. But risks can be mitigated by reading a lot, patching up various pieces of information before making a final conclusion.

you still need to anchor to something you think you want or will like (e.g. r shaped T5P/K702 sound, or mage/miracle type sound (extends highs and lower end, mids bump), or aero type sound (no mids bump), or T50RP/TP1/Merlin sound, etc). That said - I liked Aero and Mage and Merlin and Miracle :D after using each demo unit for 1w-1month.

I'm confused, if they have the 3d scan of the impressions, why did they need you to resend them :) ?
PS can't wait for my SM3x8/Mage/3w3d remade in the new universal molds to be back (UMLab said end of the month).

(asked UM lab for completion time of the order (3 custom universals incl an 8 driver one: 2 via ciem.com, 1 via UMAus) on 14th Apr:
>UMLab: Your three orders will be shipped on the end of this month. )

So I asked for an order update last Fri/Sun(order started 10th of Apr):

>Stephen (Mon, before UMLab): they will finish sm3x8 and mage next week, and then ship it to you together. it's a holiday right now in china, so the lab is on a little break.
>UMLab (yesterday): Two customs are completed!will be shipped back after labor day.

Mmm, not bad... sooon.... precioussss...Good on Stephen for the update (just in case/since China is having a major pub holiday).

Does getting your UM customs re-shelled void the warranty? Or if I bought some preowned with some warranty left, could UM re-shell them for my ears & the warranty keeps on?

The thing I don't get is: a) you give them your say SE-530 or SM3v2 to reshell, (it's older than your customs - say 3 years old, and had 5 owners) -> 1 year wty for the reshell.
b) you give them someone else's mage or whatever to reshell (that's 2 years old) -> balance of warranty including maybe 0 months.

(b) doesn't make sense, since I see little substantive difference. You sure Stephen understood the question correctly, I really can't see why you wouldn't get at least 12 months of wty again?

May 1, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #3,160 of 3,931
@svyt

b) It actually does make sense as just reshelling only is not honored by warranty like reshelling with adding drivers. Reshelling only gives only 30 days refit. I might be wrong, but that's what it is said on custom-iem website regarding reshelling and upgrades. In his case, the remaining warranty of UM customs is transferable.

May 1, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #3,161 of 3,931
Well buying based on one person's impressions would be highly silly indeed. I read 187 pages of this thread (and other UM oriented threads in Head-fi) before going for UM. But risks can be mitigated by reading a lot, patching up various pieces of information before making a final conclusion.

you still need to anchor to something you think you want or will like (e.g. r shaped T5P/K702 sound, or mage/miracle type sound (extends highs and lower end, mids bump), or aero type sound (no mids bump), or T50RP/TP1/Merlin sound, etc). That said - I liked Aero and Mage and Merlin and Miracle :D after using each demo unit for 1w-1month.

I still contend that is not easy to do. For example I'll never know how the Wyerd4Sound DAC2 sounds like even though everyone raves about it. I know I like my Benchmark DAC1 sounds like but I don't know for sure if the W4S DAC2 has any similarities to it or not. Of course I can read reviews but that is written by some reviewers (of which based on what you've said earlier, is "highly adventurous"). At some point or another, one -has- to take risks to get to the next step to see if it's the next level up. That risk can be mitigated by more I read.

Maybe it's best that we agree to disagree here. And I don't think we disagree entirely but maybe just disagree @ the different levels of risk to take - that is up to each individual.

May 1, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #3,163 of 3,931
@svyr, how's your UM-3ways? have you received it already? any thoughts about sound?

nope. (as per above) It may be sent in the next few days. or it may be SM3x8 and Mage that's sent. or all 3. UMLab works in mysterious ways.

b) It actually does make sense as just reshelling only is not honored by warranty like reshelling with adding drivers. Reshelling only gives only 30 days refit. I might be wrong, but that's what it is said on custom-iem website regarding reshelling and upgrades. In his case, the remaining warranty of UM customs is transferable.

idk man. It's confusing. The only thing I can find relating to warranty is:

http://uniquemelody.com.au/about/faqs/ (also - lol 'WHAT IF THEY DON'T FIT? OR HURT WHEN I WEAT THEM.'
http://www.uniquemelody.co/about/faqs/

that doesn't really distinguish them from reshells or driver upgrades. (http://www.custom-iem.com/page.html?id=23 doesn't mention warranty, but you're right the driver upgrade pages include the 1 year, and the vanilla reshell doesn't)

Plus warranty between ciem.com and UMGlobal/Aus may and does differ (e.g. Aus covers cables by 12m wty, ciem.com w 3)

Not that it would help me since my 3w 3d is from ciem.com now :D ... (I don't really expect anything to go wrong with it,but I do like being covered by warranty, and the 'oh well they haven't screwed many/any iems by reshelling them' 'argument' Kuroda Tsubasa was using above isn't really comforting or useful)

That said, it's be nice if the warranty was consistent globally (between dealers) and clearly spelt out (clearly = not by omission)

May 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #3,164 of 3,931
@svyr

Yeah, it is confusing as it depends with what dealer you are dealing with.
I agree with your point. It would be nice if someone from UM could make it clear for everyone.:wink:
As I am going to reshell the Miracle through obviously UM too soon.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back