Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
May 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #3,168 of 3,931
Quote:
I just got MaoDi's Zeus back from its 3rd remold, UM did a very good job on this one, its stunning and i may provide photos

I can't fathom how those sound...10 drivers? I thought 8 per side was pushing it...

May 2, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #3,169 of 3,931
Hi.  A couple of questions...  I'm 4 weeks into waiting for my merlins to arrive.  I'm hoping thats about the half-way point?  If they fit well when they arrive, will it be possible to have others made using the same impression?  

I have a couple of other earphones I would consider getting frankensteined by UM.  I've got a pair of se535 and ue600.  The ue600 get no use whatsoever as I find they have little to no bass and a bit of a nasal sound. Also the cable is a shocker with ridiculous microphonics. Would it be possible for UM to add a couple more drivers for bass? How would that compare to just having the se535s remoulded?  I think if I'm happy with my merlins then I'd be keen to experiment a little.

May 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3,170 of 3,931
Quote:
If they fit well when they arrive, will it be possible to have others made using the same impression?  

Yes, an 'investment' mould is made from your original impressions and, provided UM keep these investments (which most labs do), they can be re-used.

See the UE Youtube videos to understand this in greater detail (please note that any custom IEM lab that makes their CIEMs from acrylic will use the same fundamental methods demonstrated in these videos, so I'm not disrespecting Unique Melody by posting these videos within this Unique Melody thread (I'm a UM customer myself) ):

May 2, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #3,171 of 3,931
Quote:

Yes, an 'investment' mould is made from your original impressions and, provided UM keep these investments (which most labs do), they can be re-used.

See the UE Youtube videos to understand this in greater detail.

Up to a certain duration (2 years?). I understand that the shape of your ear changes over time. UM supposedly keeps until the run out of space, but I think UE keeps for 2 years?

May 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #3,172 of 3,931
Quote:
Up to a certain duration (2 years?). I understand that the shape of your ear changes over time. UM supposedly keeps until the run out of space, but I think UE keeps for 2 years?

I think I saw Matt (UM Global) mention recently that UM have finally got some laser-scanning gear, so storage space should cease to be an issue soon, if not already (unless they run out of hard drive storage space!). For anything that hasn't been scanned, the traditional silicone investments should be kept, subject to the conditions you rightly pointed-out.

May 2, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #3,173 of 3,931
Quote:

Quote:

I think I saw Matt (UM Global) mention recently that UM have finally got some laser-scanning gear, so storage space should cease to be an issue soon, if not already (unless they run out of hard drive storage space!). For anything that hasn't been scanned, the traditional silicone investments should be kept, subject to the conditions you rightly pointed-out.

Ok thanks.  I just watched the videos.  Is it just me or does the UE representative in the 1st vid remind you of Sam Rockwell in iron man 2?

It seems like UE uses two methods. Either they dip the impression in wax or they scan it in and somehow print out the shell in 3d. Why would they use two methods?  Is the 3d scan method reserved for special clients? And UM also has this 3d scanning system now? So UM will either keep a silicone negative of my impression or a 3d scan of my impression..  Does that mean they will return my original impression with my merlins?

May 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #3,174 of 3,931
And another weird question.. My wife is deaf in one ear.. So would UM make one side only? I could butcher my ue600s and have one driver for treble, one for mid and get um to add a couple more for bass.  Not that my wife would really get much out of it without stereo sound.. I just forsee her becoming jealous of my merlins.

May 2, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #3,175 of 3,931
Quote:
And another weird question.. My wife is deaf in one ear.. So would UM make one side only? I could butcher my ue600s and have one driver for treble, one for mid and get um to add a couple more for bass.  Not that my wife would really get much out of it without stereo sound.. I just forsee her becoming jealous of my merlins.

Hopefully UM would do one for you, but here's one from UE if you're interested: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/ue/custom-in-ear-monitors/devices/1-Pro

It brings both stereo channels into the one earpiece.

May 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #3,177 of 3,931
It brings both stereo channels into the one earpiece.

That looks taylor made for her. I guess you would notice extra clarity by preserving the integrity of each channel. I was just thinking of having UM throw on a mono plug but this way looks much better. If I had UM do something like this would they charge less? I think it's $169 for a standard reshell.. Would that reduce if it's only one side? Then I could use the drivers from my ue600 and they could add 2 drivers. That would be a similar setup to the UE version with 2 drivers per channel. Might be possible to do for around $250? Of course they don't have a 3 pin cable but i'm sure they could work something out.

May 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #3,178 of 3,931
That looks taylor made for her. I guess you would notice extra clarity by preserving the integrity of each channel. I was just thinking of having UM throw on a mono plug but this way looks much better. If I had UM do something like this would they charge less? I think it's $169 for a standard reshell.. Would that reduce if it's only one side? Then I could use the drivers from my ue600 and they could add 2 drivers. That would be a similar setup to the UE version with 2 drivers per channel. Might be possible to do for around $250? Of course they don't have a 3 pin cable but i'm sure they could work something out.

Since you're an existing UM customer (for a high-end Merlin, no less) and may be looking at having re-shells done in future, it seems more than reasonable to at least ask UM Lab if they'll help with a single earpiece.

May 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #3,179 of 3,931
Quote:

their concern probably is not the cable... but the pin reciever.... most likely they don't have any...

also.. the configuration you are asking has 6 drivers which are 4 units (?) your ear has to be quite large to fit them in.... you should get some ear impression for your spouse and ask UM to see if they have such service and if the ear is big enough... I know that some people's ears are just too small to fit that many units...

May 2, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #3,180 of 3,931
Quote:
 their concern probably is not the cable... but the pin reciever.... most likely they don't have any...

also.. the configuration you are asking has 6 drivers which are 4 units (?) your ear has to be quite large to fit them in.... you should get some ear impression for your spouse and ask UM to see if they have such service and if the ear is big enough... I know that some people's ears are just too small to fit that many units...

I think they could just sandwich two regular sockets together then use their normal cable.. it would be a bit chunkier having both cables going over one ear though.  I have no idea what would be a good setup for this kind of thing but would be happy to offer up my ue600 as the doner. I don't know what drivers it uses but their weakness is bass so i guess the ue600 drivers could handle mid and treble and i'd get some more for bass. That would be 4 drivers total and 2 per channel? That should fit in one ear. I was considering having two drivers for bass per side before but that was when considering getting another experimental set for myself using my existing impression... Still an option.  

Really I'm happy to defer to anyones recommendation on what to do with my se535s and ue600.  Of those two i would prefer to risk the ue600 because i really like almost everything about my 535s and hate the 600s. I'm finding it hard to find information on what driver the 600 uses and don't know how well it would marry with other drivers. I read somewhere that the general consensus is that it's usually better to get new customs from scratch rather than to try and modify existing universals but some people have good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back