Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #3,316 of 3,931
Still waiting for my IEMs to be returned from AmpCity, apparently last Friday they were in the lab and would be sent ASAP, of course I've heard nothing since then.

Oh and AmpCity.co.uk is down... again.

Florida.

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3,317 of 3,931
I've been hearing terrible things about UM service abroad, which I don't doubt, but I want to put in a strong word for Stephen Guo of the UM/US division.  He's been quick to respond to any email I send him, and he's going out of his way to help me out with something.  His customer service is exemplary and seems to be in stark contrast of the horror stories I'm hearing from other's experiences dealing with UM... other divisions need to step their game up 
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #3,318 of 3,931
Do UM remolds come with a detatchable cable, or is that something that I would have to buy extra? UM sells their cables for $50, 1964 sells theirs for $32.  Could I buy the cable from 1964 and use it with UM remolds?

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #3,319 of 3,931
Quote:
Do UM remolds come with a detatchable cable, or is that something that I would have to buy extra? UM sells their cables for $50, 1964 sells theirs for $32.  Could I buy the cable from 1964 and use it with UM remolds?

Yes, the UM remolds have detachable cables, you just have to specify if you want a protruding port or recessed port. You can also use other cables that has the same earpiece connector (UE connector tip, Westone tip, Shure tip, etc.).

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #3,320 of 3,931
Quote:
Yes, the UM remolds have detachable cables, you just have to specify if you want a protruding port or recessed port. You can also use other cables that has the same earpiece connector (UE connector tip, Westone tip, Shure tip, etc.).

Are they included in the price, though? I'm looking at remolding my Shure SE530's because the cable is giving way (apparently a common problem).  On UM's website, I see the remold quoted at $169. It doesn't say whether that includes the cable, though.

Jun 23, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #3,321 of 3,931
Quote:

Are they included in the price, though? I'm looking at remolding my Shure SE530's because the cable is giving way (apparently a common problem).  On UM's website, I see the remold quoted at $169. It doesn't say whether that includes the cable, though.

As per my experience, their remold DO NOT include a cable. You'll have to get your own either from them or a third party cable maker. Depending on your socket choice, you'll have different cable choices. If you get flush sockets, most customs cables will work. If you get recessed sockets (UM's default), I can verify that Whiplash cables and UE's customs (before Sept 2010) will work.

If you want to read some reviews, average_joe's cable thread is a good place to start if you're looking for reviews.

edit: If you go to custom-iem.com you'll see they state that remolds don't include a cable.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3,322 of 3,931
Quote:

Oopps, I didn't read your 1st question carefully. Sorry. dannytang is correct, the remolds doesn't come with cable. You can use yours, granted they are detachable and just put the kind of cable you are using in the order form so you don't have to buy new/different ones.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #3,323 of 3,931
Thanks for the help, guys. I was looking at UM's official website rather than custom-iem.com - didn't realize that they had a distributor specifically for North America.  You would think that information would be available on their primary website, though.

Danny - WOW those are expensive cables haha... just a tad out of my price range. I think I'll request flush sockets from UM and buy a '50 inch cable from 1964 for $32. 

Last thing - I know UM has the ability to add drivers on some of their remolds. For those of you that have gone through this process, does adding a single driver to the SE530 make a noticeable difference to be worth the extra money?  

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #3,324 of 3,931
UM has dropped Amp City UK - check UM's facebook page for their announcement (it may be on their website as well). Amp City will fulfill current orders, after which they are gone. This may please some and shows UM is taking customer service seriously. Good for them and I hope they are back in everybody's good graces soon. For awhile there, they were like an Aston Martin dealership that had hired a legion of Basil Fawltys as salesmen....only completely unfunny.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #3,326 of 3,931
Quote:
UM has dropped Amp City UK - check UM's facebook page for their announcement (it may be on their website as well). Amp City will fulfill current orders, after which they are gone. This may please some and shows UM is taking customer service seriously. Good for them and I hope they are back in everybody's good graces soon. For awhile there, they were like an Aston Martin dealership that had hired a legion of Basil Fawltys as salesmen....only completely unfunny.

I am glad to hear that UM has done something about that. Ampcity was ruining their brand name.

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #3,328 of 3,931
Would anyone recommend custom-iem.com over uniquemelodyshop.com? Would prefer to ship to Australia, but still trying to figure out how everything works. Also the latter has easier customization. Would they be shipped from Australia to China if I ship it to the latter site?

I live in the US so.. not sure if there's a UM factory in the US either. Reshelling a used ES3X.

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #3,329 of 3,931
Quote:
Would anyone recommend custom-iem.com over uniquemelodyshop.com? Would prefer to ship to Australia, but still trying to figure out how everything works. Also the latter has easier customization. Would they be shipped from Australia to China if I ship it to the latter site?

I live in the US so.. not sure if there's a UM factory in the US either. Reshelling a used ES3X.

With Custom-IEM, their e-brokerage service was entirely electronic. I got my impressions done in Tokyo, Stephen e-mailed me the form, I filled it up and I shipped my impressions & the form straight to UM China. A couple of weeks later, UM China shipped my CIEMs straight to me.

'cos I used Custom-IEM's form (and I'm sure they communicate through the back channels), they know that I'm Stephen's customer.

Edit: To me, I prefer this way...than to ship my impressions to the broker, and the broker batch ship to UM China, and therefore back to them, then finally to you.

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #3,330 of 3,931
Quote:

I went with Stephen and I have been more than pleased with his customer service during and after the order was completed. While I have no experience with uniquemelodyshop.com, I have yet to hear one bad comment regarding Stephen's service while UM Global has had their share of complaints. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back