Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #3,351 of 3,931
Did anyone go through the $30 declared value route and have everything go fine? Wondering if I should do that or just declare and insure my IEMs for full price (Westone ES3X) considering it's a lot to lose.

Stephen told me that it could be in customs for a month if I declare/insure it at that value.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3,354 of 3,931
USPS is very very slow and their tracking is very unreliable.  If you are going to 'under declare' and take a risk, which we don't recommend doing, use FedEX or perhaps see if c-iem.com will ship them on your behalf?

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #3,355 of 3,931
Quote:
USPS is very very slow and their tracking is very unreliable.  If you are going to 'under declare' and take a risk, which we don't recommend doing, use FedEX or perhaps see if c-iem.com will ship them on your behalf?

In the states its quite fast actually. Constantly receive packages from the East coast in 2 ~ 3 days, and I live in California (West coast) not sure about reliability / speed outside the states though.

What do you mean by ship on my behalf? I asked Stephen about the $30 declared thing and he said if it goes missing, it's gone, if you meant by that.

The reason why I was going with USPS mainly was because their small flat rate box is $17, while when I checked with FedEx, the lowest was like $60, which is insane as I'm barely turning 17.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #3,356 of 3,931
Yes, let us clarify, USPS to UMLab is very very slow.  We use it all the time internally within the states and from the USA to Australia and it's fine.

In Australia our clients ship their IEM's to us and we use an insured courier to get their IEM's to UMLab and we take full responsibility for the IEM's once they arrive at our office in Melbourne.  Perhaps c-iem.com will over you that service too if you ask?

USPS is definitely the good value option whilst UPS and FedEX may be prohibitively expensive.  That said, it is our strong recommendation that you invest the extra $40-60, or organise for your local dealer to ship them rather than risk losing $800 in ES3X.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #3,357 of 3,931
I may just go with you guys, not sure. Seems like it's about the same time going from US > Australia > China and US > chinese customs > China, along with it being much more convenient.

Just to clarify, there's 3 main shippers here in the states (from what I know): USPS, UPS, and FedEx.

Are you talking about USPS > UMLab is slower or UPS > UMLab is slower?

Quote:UniqueMelodyAus
USPS is definitely the good value option whilst USPS and FedEX are prohibitively expensive.

And here it's a bit confusing.

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #3,358 of 3,931
Sorry, edited!  USPS = Cheap and a bit sketchy to UMLab.

UPS and FedEX - exxy but reliable.

I'm sure Stephen can help you out if you ask him, but if you are just getting a re-shell, then it's understandable that you don't want to drop $60 on postage alone...that being said, you gotta protect your ES3x's because theres not much we (any UM dealer) can do if they never get to us in the first place.

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #3,359 of 3,931
I was literally in the exact same position as you a few months ago. I sent my by USPS underinsured and underdeclared and it was lost/stolen in the mail. USPS is fine if you don't mind waiting but insure for the full value and then some. Don't make the same mistake I did. :)

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #3,360 of 3,931
Alright contacted Stephen, will see what he says. I'll probably just ship it insured / declared for $400 (max for small boxes) if he won't via USPS. Or actually go through UM Global as it's much more assuring to ship to Australia. Was hoping to get it back before school started but yeah doesn't seem to be happening.

If anything, if it does get lost I'll just save up for the Miracles after getting reimbursed :).

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Yeah I checked both UPS and FedEx and quoted cost to China is approximately $100. Cannot do the $65 FedEx one as it's the FedEx envelope and they dont allow insurance over $100 on it.

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much for me so I will most likely go through UM global.

May I know an approximate turn-around time if I were to ship it tomorrow to UM global via USPS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back