Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Feb 23, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #617 of 1,469
Got mine today. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. The cable is meh though.

A couple of questions...

Do you guys get driver flex with your units? Also, how much burn-in (if any) do these need?
With a really good silicone seal (Sednas final E) I got a lot of flex and ear pressure. Switching to foam, specifically Tennmak Strong Foam, it disappeared.

As @drbluenewmexico said burn-in definitely benefits these. I'm somewhere between 60 and 100 hrs and they have opened and refined although they did sound great out of the box.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #618 of 1,469
A little driver flex not much
Burn in counts 20 ok 50 better
100 best
Well, look who I've found here, my old pal drbluenewmexico keeping the torch lit for us tortured audiophile wanderers who have lost our way! lol. If drbluenewmexico says something is good (or excellent sounding), you can pretty much trust his opinion (to the newer head-fiers). Hope you're been well, bro. Oh, I just received these about 10 minutes ago and out of the box (stock tips and cable), I'm highly impressed! You know I'm rarely highly impressed out-of-the-box without burn-in (especially when we're talking about dynamic drivers). Let the process begin! I'll keep you posted. That live sound is definitely there!

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #619 of 1,469
Well, look who I've found here, my old pal drbluenewmexico keeping the torch lit for us tortured audiophile wanderers who have lost our way! lol. If drbluenewmexico says something is good (or excellent sounding), you can pretty much trust his opinion (to the newer head-fiers). Hope you're been well, bro. Oh, I just received these about 10 minutes ago and out of the box (stock tips and cable), I'm highly impressed! You know I'm rarely highly impressed out-of-the-box without burn-in (especially when we're talking about dynamic drivers). Let the process begin! I'll keep you posted. That live sound is definitely there!
Eric good to hear from you! Thanks for the confidence!
Yes the 3DT are the real deal for live sounding iem remind me of JBL monitors in club setting! Upgrade the cable to
Pure copper for best results with bass and try sedna Aelastic tips for bass control
They live a bit more power and scale well. BTR5 works well with them They have me dancing in my seat!!
Hope all is well in your world

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #620 of 1,469
Eric good to hear from you! Thanks for the confidence!
Yes the 3DT are the real deal for live sounding iem remind me of JBL monitors in club setting! Upgrade the cable to
Pure copper for best results with bass and try sedna Aelastic tips for bass control
They live a bit more power and scale well. BTR5 works well with them They have me dancing in my seat!!
Hope all is well in your world
The pandemic world has been rough (especially for family members and friends of mine), but we're surviving for the most part. I had just settled in taking care of family and friends and listening to what I already have (and enjoy immensely). So the AKG N5005, Unique Melody planar, ME-1, 64 Audio (12-BA) Adels, Audeze iSene 20 have been taking up a lot of my iem listening pleasure. But I started to get an itch for some new tech and different sound signatures, and Ds pushed me into this direction. Wanted to see if UM did something different with multi-dynamic drivers since JVC tried it. And they have from what I can hear.

Feb 24, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #621 of 1,469
The 3DT has amazing synergy with the Shanling M8...etched, out of head imaging, great texture

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #622 of 1,469
I'm over 100 hours with the 3DT now and they just keep getting better. Deeper, slightly wider and more air and crispness up top. I'd say these babies have blossomed. Just as @szore has discovered with the M8 I've been feeding mine desktop all day from an Atom Amp and its really just so pleasing. But it pairs really well with the humble Shanling M5S also. I've even tried it with the BTR3 and UP2 and they are not hard to drive at all. My new all rounder.

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #623 of 1,469
I'm over 100 hours with the 3DT now and they just keep getting better. Deeper, slightly wider and more air and crispness up top. I'd say these babies have blossomed. Just as @szore has discovered with the M8 I've been feeding mine desktop all day from an Atom Amp and its really just so pleasing. But it pairs really well with the humble Shanling M5S also. I've even tried it with the BTR3 and UP2 and they are not hard to drive at all. My new all rounder.
zactly...

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #624 of 1,469
These things are beautiful. The cable is craptastic (replacement on its way).

IMG_2942 (1).JPG

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #625 of 1,469

IMG_2942 (1).JPG
True That!
But they are worthy of a cable upgrade and I promise you they'll sound even better after 100 hours. Congrats and enjoy!

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #626 of 1,469

IMG_2942 (1).JPG
I definitely prefer all the cost going into the IEMs, with a cheap cable thrown in. I usually replace the cable anyways.

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #627 of 1,469
My review is posted here, and will be shortly on my blog and pasted all over the usual FB groups. The 3DT is a wonderful listen, and has a "typical" UM sound to me. Excellent details, a very good clarity of note, and that rich, warmer textured UM sound of which I really like. This has very fine details within and is an immediate favorite of mine. And yes, that "secret IEM" is compared within. Review of that forthcoming.

A note on cables: the included UM cable is a very nice cable, akin to those included with many 64Audio IEM's. While they may not "look like it," they provide very good sound. If you must, some of the Satin Audio or Eletech offerings would be a worthy addition to the 3DT. The Eletech Fortitude or Prudence models would be excellent compliments to the UM. The Prudence might open the sound a bit what with its silver-coated copper, and the Fortitude with its all-copper make would work, but might be too warm for some.

The Satin cables are extremely affordable and sound marvelous as well. I would recommend the Medusa to "brighten up" the sound a bit with its silver sound, and the Chimera II or Kraken for all-copper. Affordable and excellent sound again. Anyway, here is my review.

I profusely thank @MusicTeck for the support. Andrew is as good as they get in our industry. He's a Missouri Peach (which means he's an excellent fellow).

Cheers and (hopefully) enjoy.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/unique-melody-terminator-3dt.24922/reviews

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #628 of 1,469
49F55782-9BDE-4DD4-A451-EAB04F06571A.JPEG

About to fire up the 3DT via my Leo II and M8.

Edit: I'm rather stoked on the color coordination between all 4 components of this chain.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #629 of 1,469

About to fire up the 3DT via my Leo II and M8.
Nice cable. Did that cost more than those IEMs. I just picked up a pair myself to hear what DD mids sounds like.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #630 of 1,469
Nice cable. Did that cost more than those IEMs. I just picked up a pair myself to hear what DD mids sounds like.

If you want to hear the best possible DD mids you should hear them in tandem with e-stat treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back