UM3X isn't doing it for me anymore... I need suggestions
May 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #16 of 41
if the mids of the SM3s are too forward for you...

UM3X would give an excessive mids that really almost puts it inside your head

base on my critical listenings, sometimes the mids of the SM3s would kinda be recessed especially on too crowded songs.. don't get me wrong it is still there but the instruments sometimes are just eing more emphasized than the mids..

the mids of the sm3 is on par or at the same level with the instruments
on the w4/um3x, the instruments are behind the singer/artist and are obviously more upfront on the um3x

May 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #19 of 41
May 23, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #20 of 41
Wise decision.  I've got the W4, UM3X, BA200, CK10 & FX700.  They are all awesome but the um3x gets the most ear-time.  Will have SM3 in a couple days, and am looking forward to the comparison.  I did not like it's little brother the SM2.

May 23, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:
Wise decision.  I've got the W4, UM3X, BA200, CK10 & FX700.  They are all awesome but the um3x gets the most ear-time.  Will have SM3 in a couple days, and am looking forward to the comparison.  I did not like it's little brother the SM2.

hmmm... Intriguing...

May 23, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #23 of 41
PFE 232 :wink:

UM3x are really interesting and I think they really do grow on you. Having had them along side the W4 - I like both but the 3x won because of clarity, instrument separation and bass. Have you considered trying an amp with the 3x? I thought I read that people notice a little difference in soundstage which is why I was half considering one.

May 23, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #24 of 41
What about entry level customs-the JH5

May 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #25 of 41
Since we're discussing some in the same threads I can really recommend getting the E6 and L9 Lod for your iPhone. It does tighten up the sound a lot and it's probably the best improvement you can get for the money. I'm guessing you're going to listen on-the-go and the E6 is just perfect for that. Not too much bulk and it beats the crap out of your iPhone amp. :)

May 25, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #26 of 41
I don't know if you clean out the spouts of your IEMs, but make sure you do that. If it's not electronic damage, then it's most likely debris inside the little spouts. I actually cleaned out my SE535s, after I suddenly got really depressed with their sound, and I heard an immediate 35-40% SQ improvement. It was like I put on a brand new pair of IEMs. I was floored, to be honest. I didn't expect the difference to be that big. If you do clean them out, then that's unfortunate.

The only IEMs I can give any advice on (since you ruled out the 535s) would be the SM3s. The SM3s sound really really really different from the UM3Xs, in my opinion. You're gonna go from an IEM with amazing instrumental separation, incredible clarity and an analytical sound signature to something a lot thicker with a bigger soundstage. You're basically going to go from neutral-coldish to an all around warm sound signature. The UM3Xs are also bright, and SM3s are dark. Also, SM3 bass is floppier, while I found the UM3X bass incredibly tight and kicky. Maybe you'd like the change?

May 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:
I had the SM3 and thought the mids were too forward.  I recommend the EX1000 or FX700. I had IE80 and didn't like the mid bass hump. I prefer MG7.
I have a um3x in-bound as I'm curious about how well these phones layer music. 

Never tried the FX700 but I had the EX1000 for a month and got rid of them. Part of the reason I use IEMs is because I'm out and about, so isolation is a necessity. The isolation on the EX1000 was definitely lacking. 

May 25, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #28 of 41
Well, just got the SM3 yesterday & was worried because I disliked the bloated mid-bass & thickness of the SM2.  I shouldn't have worried.  It is a spectacular iem.  It shares many similarities in sound with the um3x.  To my ears it is a little faster and the sound stage is way better.  If it wasn't so darn ugly....

May 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #29 of 41
I'll be honest... Now that I fixed my UM3X with my hefty new 1400mw UV tool, I'm much happier. I also believe that the comply p-series is a must for absolutely iem..... The deep insertion widens the soundstage, deepens the bass, the vocals become lifelike, the isolation is superb, and its like the music is really inside of you.

May 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:
I'll be honest... Now that I fixed my UM3X with my hefty new 1400mw UV tool, I'm much happier. I also believe that the comply p-series is a must for absolutely iem..... The deep insertion widens the soundstage, deepens the bass, the vocals become lifelike, the isolation is superb, and its like the music is really inside of you.

what did you fix exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back