Ultrasone Signature DJ
Oct 31, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #2,641 of 2,701
DJ is exactly what you are looking for. I own both the Sig DJ and the Sig PRO. The DJ has less mids but booming bass. Was my go-to phone for 4-5 years. Now the 900 on the otherhand is one of the worst headphones I've ever experienced. All bass that sounds like pure slop. Undifferentiated slop. I was horrified.
So you'd say alot more bass then my sig pro?
Does the DJ have more bass then the 900 pro? As this one is known for it's bass?

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #2,642 of 2,701
A lot more and nice and clean. The 900 has overwhelming bass but not musical at all. Just a bunch of undifferentiated noise.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #2,644 of 2,701
The DJ sounds just like a signature pro that has less mids, smoother highs, much more clean bass, and a wider sound stage. For electronic music the DJ is going to be very hard to beat. The DJ hits hard and clean, with a bass that doesnt obscure any on any other part of the music.

About the only downside of the DJ is that the mids are pulled back a bit, which can make male vocals sound like they are missing something. This is minor though, and doesn't really matter for electronic music or most genres where vocals arent the primary focus of the song. If you need a pair of headphones that retains mids while adding a bit more bass compared to the pro's, then the Signature DXP is the perfect middle ground between the Pro and DJ's.

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #2,645 of 2,701
The DJ sounds just like a signature pro that has less mids, smoother highs, much more clean bass, and a wider sound stage. For electronic music the DJ is going to be very hard to beat. The DJ hits hard and clean, with a bass that doesnt obscure any on any other part of the music.

About the only downside of the DJ is that the mids are pulled back a bit, which can make male vocals sound like they are missing something. This is minor though, and doesn't really matter for electronic music or most genres where vocals arent the primary focus of the song. If you need a pair of headphones that retains mids while adding a bit more bass compared to the pro's, then the Signature DXP is the perfect middle ground between the Pro and DJ's.
I hardly listen to music with vocals. Mostly soundtracks of games and movies and stuff. But sometimes stuff like sountrack of movie gladiator will have some voice in it...
Two steps from hell is one of my favorite too.

But from what I get from you it's more clean bass= higher quality bass. Doesn't mean alot of more actual bass. just better quality of it?

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #2,646 of 2,701
Ah yes, my wording was a bit ambiguous on that. What I meant to say is that the DJ has much more bass than the PRO and that bass is very clean. Often times when bass is increased in a headphone it ends up covering up other parts of the music (usually the mids), or it ends up being muddy or undefined. The DJ is great as you get a great quantity of bass without it covering up other areas of the music.

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #2,647 of 2,701
Ah yes, my wording was a bit ambiguous on that. What I meant to say is that the DJ has much more bass than the PRO and that bass is very clean. Often times when bass is increased in a headphone it ends up covering up other parts of the music (usually the mids), or it ends up being muddy or undefined. The DJ is great as you get a great quantity of bass without it covering up other areas of the music.
Okay okay so you ment both. interesting seems there some varying opinions like this one claims more bass but..

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ultrasone-signature-dj.623238/page-46#post_9300553
"2) More Bass... but but but... It's not A WHOLE LOT MORE than that of the Sig Pro. It slams a bit more and to my ears the QUANTITY is not
as much as I expected"
"So in conclusion, the Signature DJs are very capable closed headphones. NO... They are not BASS CANNONS and that's it."

I would have loved for it to be a bass cannon. Basically im looking for something that tries to retain signature pro's quality and then be a bass cannon while doing so lol.

Nov 5, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #2,648 of 2,701
I looked around for FR Graphs that would compare the Pro's to the DJ's in order to clear up any subjectivity, but I couldn't locate any two graphs that are from the same website or method. I'm hoping someone else can chime in that knows where to see those graphs to make it clear as to exactly how much more bass the DJ's have.

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #2,649 of 2,701
The pads on the pair I just bought are worn out. I see the new pads are like 130 Euro OUCH ! Are there cheaper pads that dont alter the sound signature ? Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 29, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #2,650 of 2,701
The pads on the pair I just bought are worn out. I see the new pads are like 130 Euro OUCH ! Are there cheaper pads that dont alter the sound signature ? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, there are other earpads that work.

I have to check what exactly, but I remember swapping some pads from other headphones.

Those are smaller than meze 99C so those don't work, but there were some that did that came through my hands (?)

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #2,651 of 2,701
Yes, there are other earpads that work.

I have to check what exactly, but I remember swapping some pads from other headphones.

Those are smaller than meze 99C so those don't work, but there were some that did that came through my hands (?)

Thanks. I've read that the aftermarket options change the sound signature. I didnt proceed with the used pair with the worn out pads. Found a brand new pair that I purchased so dont have to worry about the pads for sometime now.

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #2,652 of 2,701
Are these headphones good for rock, metal and electronic music or are there better headphones for that?

Jan 30, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #2,653 of 2,701
Thanks. I've read that the aftermarket options change the sound signature. I didnt proceed with the used pair with the worn out pads. Found a brand new pair that I purchased so dont have to worry about the pads for sometime now.

The pads do change the sound a lot usually. Best sonic performance is with their original pads.

You can ask Ultrasone for Sig DXP / SIG Studio pads, they are the same as SIG DJ in sound, or at least really close, but don't cost as much, since they are not real leather.

Are these headphones good for rock, metal and electronic music or are there better headphones for that?

Yes, absolutely. You can also consider Signature DXP that are less expensive, both are amazing for metal, electronic and EDM :)

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #2,654 of 2,701
I took a chance and purchased a brand new pair. Have been listening to them for sometime. These are wonderful headphones and are here to stay. They are my portable/office headphones. The 300hz dip was offset with the RME ADI-2 excellent eq. The sound quality on these is absolutely superb. Bass is tight with good impact. Highs are liquid and smooth. Open sound in a closed headphone. One of the best closed portable headphones I've heard.

Apr 15, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #2,655 of 2,701
I'm starting to think about adding an additional headphone to my line up, one that has at minimum the detail of the Sig DJ's, at minimum neutral level bass (or more), and whose strength is the mids. It's 2020 now, and most of this thread dates back years ago (mostly 2013-2014). With that, we don't have great comparisons between newer headphones to see how the DJ's compare. Also, most audio enthusiasts aren't aware of how good the Ultrasone Signature line is, so it's hard to get comparisons from other headphone threads as to how they relate to the DJ/PRO/DXP. Anyone have recommendations on anything close to what I'm looking for?

The best of my current headphones includes the DJ's, Pro, DXP, and the Hifiman Ananda. About the only thing I'm missing is a clear mid forward headphone to further enjoy Jazz, easy listening (Sinatra, etc..), and more acoustic music. I've thought about the Sennheiser 800s just due to the sheer recognition they receive on Head-Fi, but everything I read about them is that they are too dry, bass shy, and thin for what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back