Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jul 7, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,801 of 2,701
When somebody new comes along and informs they've just ordered the Sig DJ - like plakat, it's interesting to discuss their expectations, current cans etc - but if I'm in a chat happy mode I tend to over do it - lol
biggrin.gif

Poor plakat prob thinks this thread is like a cult now
biggrin.gif

No, it's your extreme bass club stuff that seems like a cult.

Hold on guys, let me grab my 3X5 notecard to determine which headphone has the best bass, because everyone knows that is the way you test headphone bass. 
confused_face(1).gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #1,802 of 2,701
I love how the white looks, the problem is that they turn yellow over time.

The sheepskin thing kinda reminds me about the paper test, i feel that the leather seal around my ears increases the bass impact significantly, which wouldnt happen with the paper. Just sayin haha.

As far as cultyness goes, i slightly agree. Except i think the djs are shipped with brain implanting chips that make you love them, the people who dont love them havent listened long enough for the process :)

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,803 of 2,701

Yeah, mine definitely don't look as "white" as they used to... and this is from a non-smoking home, they are kept on their case, etc. etc. Oh well... I don't plan on selling them anyway! :)

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #1,804 of 2,701
No, it's your extreme bass club stuff that seems like a cult.

Hold on guys, let me grab my 3X5 notecard to determine which headphone has the best bass, because everyone knows that is the way you test headphone bass. :confused_face(1):

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Extreme Bass Test....."

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Zzs-OvfG8tE[/VIDEO]

imagejpg1-41.jpg

LoL :D but TWerk - I think you know that your comment is unfair - the bass/paper test isn't about determining which headphones have the "best bass" - it's about which headphones have the biggest bass slam under increased bass EQ ie extreme bass - and the test compliments as a visual aid to the SPL of bass air being moved as it would impact users ears and side of face.

All headphones that are tested using same parameters and test track - which is a deep bass hip hop track - so you can determine the kind of bass used for the test also that genre is pretty appropriate as it's popular amongst bassheads - the bass/paper test is a fun and unique visual for sure and just because the Sig DJ performed poorly in the test, doesn't equate it to being a bad headphone - it just doesn't impact very well on the type of bass coming from the test track, so if somebody was looking for a new can to listen to that genre or similar that has that type of bass, they can see from the test that the Sig DJ's aren't going to give them as heavy bass impact as other headphones which performed stronger. The criteria is amount/strength of bass slam - extreme bass - it's quite specific / hardcore :)

Rather than just talk about it (which cans slam the most extreme under EQ) the bass/paper test visually shows bass impact - radical? - genius? unique? fun?

All of the above :wink:

The bass/paper test will reveal a headphones extreme abilities - or lack of - without prejudice -
trust your ears & your eyes :cool:

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #1,805 of 2,701

The sheepskin thing kinda reminds me about the paper test, i feel that the leather seal around my ears increases the bass impact significantly, which wouldnt happen with the paper. Just sayin haha.

As far as cultyness goes, i slightly agree. Except i think the djs are shipped with brain implanting chips that make you love them, the people who dont love them havent listened long enough for the process :)

Brain implanting chips :eek:

It's the governments!

Wearing a tin foil hat blocks the SigDJnal (see what I did there :wink: )

imagejpg1-43.jpg

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #1,806 of 2,701
Yes, I see the Ed5 as a collectors item as well: while it sounds good, is light and comfortable, has a unique design that does not sum up to its asking price. Nevertheless it seems to work out for Ultrasone, I've heard they sold somewhere near 500 pieces already. To each his own I guess. I'd spend about half on it, thats what I'd consider it worth to me. but it would not fill any relevant niche for me, I already have... several headphones for home use. The Signature on the other hand has a rather unique robustness which *does* help me.

Regarding that science article: yes, some good and relevant points...

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #1,807 of 2,701
Hey CB, please use tje spoiler functionality on your movies and pics. They are too much data for mobile use.

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #1,809 of 2,701
  Yes, I see the Ed5 as a collectors item as well: while it sounds good, is light and comfortable, has a unique design that does not sum up to its asking price. Nevertheless it seems to work out for Ultrasone, I've heard they sold somewhere near 500 pieces already. To each his own I guess. I'd spend about half on it, thats what I'd consider it worth to me. but it would not fill any relevant niche for me, I already have... several headphones for home use. The Signature on the other hand has a rather unique robustness which *does* help me.

Regarding that science article: yes, some good and relevant points...

Sold 500 E5's already? - wow - considering they made a total of 555 pairs, they don't seem to have had any issues in finding buyers for such an expensive headphone!

I wonder if the ED5 will appreciate in value with it being a "limited edition"?  I guess time will tell.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #1,810 of 2,701
The ED 5 has a new designed baffle board. I reckon that as a prototype. Man they are clever enough to sell 555 prototypes to rich people. This board technology will probably flow into the PRO anf HFI line later. I mean you need to create a master to to make 500+ baffles anyways and such a master can make thousands.......

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #1,811 of 2,701
That might indeed be part of the master plan... The Signature series was also not done as a first as I understand, so they, too, were based upon prior models, refining them, maybe reusing drivers etc. Which is not a bad thing, most good products are the result of iterative development.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #1,812 of 2,701
Maybe ULTRASONE will come up with a Signature DJ MK2?

Hard to build on an already classic can, but here's a few things I can think of that would be good in the hood:

1. Remove the tech that reduces SPL levels by 40% to allow hip hop genre type low and hard bass slam
2. Increase driver size by at least 10% - anything higher is added win factor
3. Have the option of standard white or stealth black colour finish

:)

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #1,813 of 2,701
A lower price tag wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #1,815 of 2,701
Maybe ULTRASONE will come up with a Signature DJ MK2?

Hard to build on an already classic can, but here's a few things I can think of that would be good in the hood:

1. Remove the tech that reduces SPL levels by 40% to allow hip hop genre type low and hard bass slam
2. Increase driver size by at least 10% - anything higher is added win factor
3. Have the option of standard white or stealth black colour finish

smily_headphones1.gif

From owning the Sig Pro and auditioning the DJ for about 10 days, I'd add -

1. improved headband comfort
2. improved pad comfort/inner diameter larger
3. shorter cord option or better yet a standard 3.5 plug receptacle so you can have as short as you want.  I use portable phones for working out/running/yardwork and put them in a holder on my upper arm and want only about a 22" cord, which I have had commissioned a couple of times but can't readily use them for the Sig series.  Could for the Pro900 tho............

To me the comfort was bad.  Really bad after about 30 minutes or so and had to take them off.  Too bad since the sound sig was darn good on both. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back