Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jul 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,786 of 2,701
Thanks -- and feel guilty for me spending money: your comparison with angel/devil was just too cute to resist :wink:

I do often use my closed portable headphones without an amp as its too much hassle to carry around... so I'd be glad to have a good closed headphone that does not need an amp.

HaHa - to coin a now infamous phrase to head-fi, "sorry about your wallet" :D

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,787 of 2,701
HaHa - to coin a now infamous phrase to head-fi, "sorry about your wallet"
biggrin.gif

I've heard about that :wink:

If everything goes as planned they should be with me on +/- Thursday... I'll be happy to provide some impressions of course.

Don't remember whether this review by Digital DJ Tips was already mentioned:
http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2012/11/ultrasone-signature-dj-headphones-review/

Interesting because Phil Morse is writing that from the standpoint of a DJ / audio pro, not a home audio enthusiast.
Spoiler: He likes them.

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #1,788 of 2,701
I've heard about that :wink:

If everything goes as planned they should be with me on +/- Thursday... I'll be happy to provide some impressions of course.

Don't remember whether this review by Digital DJ Tips was already mentioned:
http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2012/11/ultrasone-signature-dj-headphones-review/

Interesting because Phil Morse is writing that from the standpoint of a DJ / audio pro, not a home audio enthusiast.
Spoiler: He likes them.

I enjoy this guys reviews, clear concise and down to earth understandability - he remarks that playing the below track on the Sig DJ's as the best he's ever heard it - first time I've heard this track but I like it - video would be better had dancer been a hot blonde babe, but nonetheless the dudes precision moves throughout mirror the speed, detail and precision of the Sig DJ's IMO, so a well chosen test track by Phil - lol :D

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/s3X7_dQ0Nuk[/VIDEO]

The below track is good for showing off bass and mids - very crisp and a killer track

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/HMUDVMiITOU[/VIDEO]

And the below Earth, Wind & Fire track highlights bass drum impact and fantastic bass control with good soundstage (IMO)

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Lrle0x_DHBM[/VIDEO]

And for showcasing the Sig DJs amazing bass - what else but M.Jacksons Billie Jean

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Zi_XLOBDo_Y[/VIDEO]

Obviously YT as source is far from ideal but you may have access to better source and of course your own personal fave music to enjoy your Sig DJs with.

Look forward to your impressions :)

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #1,789 of 2,701
Yes, I think I'll resort to iTunes (or my CD collection first in fact), but thats a nice spectrum.

I've always enjoyed 70s/80s disco (due to my age I guess :wink: so I'll happily revisit Earth, Wind & Fire and Michael Jackson first as these are to be found in my collection for sure.

I read Phils reviews quite often as its a different take, focussed on real usage of the products. I also like that he does not bash products -- I see that as a waste of time. Actually I think Tyll at innerfidelity.com does it best: measure everything, short notice if not interesting enough, review only if its worth it.

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #1,790 of 2,701
Yes, I think I'll resort to iTunes (or my CD collection first in fact), but thats a nice spectrum.

I've always enjoyed 70s/80s disco (due to my age I guess :wink: so I'll happily revisit Earth, Wind & Fire and Michael Jackson first as these are to be found in my collection for sure.

I read Phils reviews quite often as its a different take, focussed on real usage of the products. I also like that he does not bash products -- I see that as a waste of time. Actually I think Tyll at innerfidelity.com does it best: measure everything, short notice if not interesting enough, review only if its worth it.

Absolutely :)

Though Tyll does have one ULTRASONE exception...

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/L34S4Tt1EuQ[/VIDEO]

There's a rumour going around that you quite like Beyerdynamic headphones - lol (checked your headphone inventory - nice collection of cans for sure) :wink:

I've got to admit that I've not heard one Beyer can - ever :confused_face:

But I understand they make some pretty solid gear - buddy of mine on the extreme bass thread is pretty impressed with the T1 and aims to own it one day :)

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #1,791 of 2,701
I can in fact hardly deny my love for Beyerdynamic products, with the T1 being my absolute favorite so far. Driven by an A2 is simply bliss... but I can'T take A2+T1 to a cafe and work there... So I'm always looking for closed, portable headphones that are easy to drive, compact (at least for transport) and robust enough to be carried in my bag without a big protection case. The M-100 fulfills most of that but is too bassy for stationary use (I answer the question of bass, should the need arise, by a trip to my storage space, taking out the number of 18" bass bins deemed necessary plus the amps on correct head count and doing whats necessary to fulfill that craving :wink:

So while I can't do without bass, it has to be really clean and structured, not overpowering other aspects of my music (I know that sounds strange for someone who listens to lots of EDM, especially when not at home).

While I adore how the T1 presents bass I'd never expected someone from the extreme bass thread to like it... interesting... but in the end most of us love music, not effects... and the T1 does exactly that: it presents music in a manner that lets one forget the middle men.

I have to say that, answering another threads question regarding the A2, I just switched between Sig Pro and T1 (on the Phonitor)... and the T1 is far ahead of the Sig Pro. Its semi-open of course, so its airy presentation is not easy to do in a closed, actually isolating, headphone as the signatures are both. On the other hand it can't be driven by an iPhone and it would fill more space than my bag has to offer.

Nevertheless, try a T1 one day... its rather easy to drive, but it deserves a good amp. Or a T90... both have a fine and detailed treble presentation the Sig Pro is missing. Maybe the Sig DJ is better in that regard, but it will be welcome anyway as it has other things to offer for sure.

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,792 of 2,701
I can in fact hardly deny my love for Beyerdynamic products, with the T1 being my absolute favorite so far. Driven by an A2 is simply bliss... but I can'T take A2+T1 to a cafe and work there... So I'm always looking for closed, portable headphones that are easy to drive, compact (at least for transport) and robust enough to be carried in my bag without a big protection case. The M-100 fulfills most of that but is too bassy for stationary use (I answer the question of bass, should the need arise, by a trip to my storage space, taking out the number of 18" bass bins deemed necessary plus the amps on correct head count and doing whats necessary to fulfill that craving :wink:

So while I can't do without bass, it has to be really clean and structured, not overpowering other aspects of my music (I know that sounds strange for someone who listens to lots of EDM, especially when not at home).

While I adore how the T1 presents bass I'd never expected someone from the extreme bass thread to like it... interesting... but in the end most of us love music, not effects... and the T1 does exactly that: it presents music in a manner that lets one forget the middle men.

I have to say that, answering another threads question regarding the A2, I just switched between Sig Pro and T1 (on the Phonitor)... and the T1 is far ahead of the Sig Pro. Its semi-open of course, so its airy presentation is not easy to do in a closed, actually isolating, headphone as the signatures are both. On the other hand it can't be driven by an iPhone and it would fill more space than my bag has to offer.

Nevertheless, try a T1 one day... its rather easy to drive, but it deserves a good amp. Or a T90... both have a fine and detailed treble presentation the Sig Pro is missing. Maybe the Sig DJ is better in that regard, but it will be welcome anyway as it has other things to offer for sure.

Yeah, for sure - if I get the opportunity to try out a T1 I will jump at the chance.

Buddy on extreme bass thread lives in Japan and the pictures he's posted of the dedicated headphone stores over there are hard to believe - it genuinely looks like every headphone known to man is out and on display - including summit - fi cans like the Sennheiser HD800 - which is what turned him onto the T1 - he was checking out the sound from the HD800 off his portable rig in the store and the T1 was next to it but incorrectly displayed as Teac brand - so he unplugged from the HD800's into the Teac marked cans and posts that he was more impressed with what he then found to be Beyer T1 over the HD800's.

I've the HD800's and drive it off my HIFIMAN EF-6 amp, but I've not spent nearly as much time with them as I'd like - but will get around to them - Sig DJs are still taking all my head time at present - mainly due to them being just so accessible and not requiring any amp, rather than having to sit down for a session with the HD800's and the EF-6 weighs a colossul 10kgs - so it's going nowhere.

So, yeah, I'm kind of intrigued by the T1 after my buddy reported his preference to its sound over the HD800 :)

Reading further to your requirements for a portable closed back can you can use for work - I can tell you now that the Sig DJ fits the bill perfectly - I'd be more amazed if you're not amazed by these cans - lol :D

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #1,793 of 2,701
I never warmed up to the HD800 as well... too perfect I guess. To my ears the T1 is simply more musical. That being said I'm firmly in the solid state / studio gear camp... to 'to perfect' is a rather unusual thing for me to say.

Regarding the Sig DJ: from what I read I think its about as far as one can go regarding robust portable closed cans... While the T5p is quite good, it does prefer an amp in my eyes. And its rather big to take with me. The sig DJ folding flat is far easier in that regard...

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,794 of 2,701
I never warmed up to the HD800 as well... too perfect I guess. To my ears the T1 is simply more musical. That being said I'm firmly in the solid state / studio gear camp... to 'to perfect' is a rather unusual thing for me to say.

Regarding the Sig DJ: from what I read I think its about as far as one can go regarding robust portable closed cans... While the T5p is quite good, it does prefer an amp in my eyes. And its rather big to take with me. The sig DJ folding flat is far easier in that regard...

Yeah - I regard the Sig DJ as a true blue genuine audiophile basshead headphone, but you're right to say the Sig DJ's robust qualities - which I'm glad ULTRASONE made this can in its current form as if they'd have done it as a Edition can with wood and metal finishing, you can bet the price would be considerably more than it's current work horse design. Have you seen the cost of the new ULTRASONE Edition 5? :basshead:

Here's some pics of the Japanese headphone stores that Hawaiibadboy shot - pretty cool :cool:

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,795 of 2,701
I've heard about those shops... awesome photos...

Yes, I know about the Ed5, even heard it at the High End Fair in Munich... nice, but not 3500€-nice. A collectors item I'd say... I very much prefer their Signature series, even for the design: while the Ed5 actually looks good to me most Edition cans are just too flashy. Furthermore I consider the Signature series to be of much better sound quality.

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #1,796 of 2,701
I've heard about those shops... awesome photos...

Yes, I know about the Ed5, even heard it at the High End Fair in Munich... nice, but not 3500€-nice. A collectors item I'd say... I very much prefer their Signature series, even for the design: while the Ed5 actually looks good to me most Edition cans are just too flashy. Furthermore I consider the Signature series to be of much better sound quality.

Oh wow - you've heard the Ed5 in person - for the money I'd expect sonic bliss radiating from their earcups - but Currawong (admin dude) told me the Ed5 are intended for well heeled collectors - he was at the Ed5 launch in Japan (Currawong also lives in Japan) and that region seems to be where a lot of these collectors are based.

And I've just realised how I found "The Science of Why We Don't Believe Science" in an open tag on my iPads browser - I must have inadvertently hit your link under your signature - thanks - it is a fascinating read for sure! :D

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,797 of 2,701
Sorry to go off topic, but if anyone is interested - the M-Audio Q40 bass/paper test video is now uploaded onto extreme bass thread - link below :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/1065#post_10692836​

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,798 of 2,701
Sorry to go off topic, but if anyone is interested - the M-Audio Q40 bass/paper test video is now uploaded onto extreme bass thread - link below
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/1065#post_10692836​

Haha, it's ok. 95% of this appreciation thread is off topic anyways. Poor siggy Dj.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #1,799 of 2,701
Haha, it's ok. 95% of this appreciation thread is off topic anyways. Poor siggy Dj.

Probably because the only thing anyone talks about on topic is how they love it, or how they hate the white plastic. Gets old :wink:

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,800 of 2,701
Probably because the only thing anyone talks about on topic is how they love it, or how they hate the white plastic. Gets old :wink:

When somebody new comes along and informs they've just ordered the Sig DJ - like plakat, it's interesting to discuss their expectations, current cans etc - but if I'm in a chat happy mode I tend to over do it - lol :D

Poor plakat prob thinks this thread is like a cult now :D

Anyway, back on topic..........er.................hmmmmm..........so, the Siggy DJs are pretty cool - eh guys?.............guys?................hello......?........

Wait a min - some people say they hate the white plastic?

Now there's the opening to a mass debate and who doesn't like a good mass debate?

I say the white plastic with contrasting black makes to good measure the character of these cans and anybody who says otherwise is a traitor to the Signature DJ and all whom appreciate it - we must uphold the honour and virtue of the Sig DJ and preserve the dignity of its S-Logic - please discuss......

:D

Well put it this way - if you could change any aspect of the Sig DJ - what would it be?

I'd change the leather from Ethiopian sheepskin to dyed red Ostrich leather - because that's what supercar Pagani Zonda uses for it's interior...:cool:

...then again - maybe not....:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back