Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jul 9, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,816 of 2,701
From owning the Sig Pro and auditioning the DJ for about 10 days, I'd add -

1. improved headband comfort
2. improved pad comfort/inner diameter larger
3. shorter cord option or better yet a standard 3.5 plug receptacle so you can have as short as you want.  I use portable phones for working out/running/yardwork and put them in a holder on my upper arm and want only about a 22" cord, which I have had commissioned a couple of times but can't readily use them for the Sig series.  Could for the Pro900 tho............

To me the comfort was bad.  Really bad after about 30 minutes or so and had to take them off.  Too bad since the sound sig was darn good on both. 

I'm surprised to read your discomfort with the Signature DJ's - personally for me these cans are one of the most comfortable I own - I really appreciate the Ethiopian soft leather on headband and earcups - pure luxury that as far as I know only Ultrasone use on headphones, maybe they've cornered the market in buying all the specific breed of sheepskin that comes out of Ethiopia, lol :D - but I guess everybody's head is different in size and shape that affects level of comfort differently.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,817 of 2,701
I'm surprised to read your discomfort with the Signature DJ's - personally for me these cans are one of the most comfortable I own - I really appreciate the Ethiopian soft leather on headband and earcups - pure luxury that as far as I know only Ultrasone use on headphones, maybe they've cornered the market in buying all the specific breed of sheepskin that comes out of Ethiopia, lol
biggrin.gif
- but I guess everybody's head is different in size and shape that affects level of comfort differently.

Gelocks had a similar complaint as I did (he sold me the Sig Pro).  What helped a lot was using the HD650 headband pad on the bottom side of the headband.  The cups tho............just could not get them to feel as comfy as you'd expect them to be.

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,818 of 2,701
Yup.

I still find the Sig DJs a bit uncomfortable but somehow less so than the SIg Pros.
Still, I definitely value comfort so I would welcome those changes mentioned by Oregonian :)

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,819 of 2,701
Gelocks had a similar complaint as I did (he sold me the Sig Pro).  What helped a lot was using the HD650 headband pad on the bottom side of the headband.  The cups tho............just could not get them to feel as comfy as you'd expect them to be.

Yup.

I still find the Sig DJs a bit uncomfortable but somehow less so than the SIg Pros.
Still, I definitely value comfort so I would welcome those changes mentioned by Oregonian :)

Well gentlemen, I was surprised to read of Oregonian's discomfort for the Sig DJ's, but am now double surprised to also hear of gelocks discomfort too.

When I first purchased my Sig Pro's I was genuinely impressed with the fit comfort and Ethiopian sheepskin finish to a relatively utilitarian design that I regard as subtle and svelte. When I more recently purchased the Sig DJ's the comfort level for me improved further as the leather earcups appear more supple and softer.

For the kind of money these two headphones cost you could argue that they should in principle pretty much give all whom own these headphones a good level of comfort to a certain degree and discomfort should not come into the equation, but also maybe this is naive of me to assume such is possible for any manufacturer regardless of cost, just because my experience with these two particular headphones have been very comfortable to me personally.

If I experienced this level,of discomfort from these headphones, I would provide this feedback to ULTRASONE as perhaps they could incorporate design tweaks into future models that may alleviate both your current comfort issues.

On both my Sig Pro & Dj's I don't need to adjust the headband out to extend it at all as is the case with the majority of other models and makes that I use. On the headphones that I do have to extend the headband to get a good fit it's just a notch or two. Is this the same with you two guys, or I may have a small head size?

I don't know if this has any relevance whatsoever with either of your discomfort experienced with the Sig DJ's, I'm just thinking aloud, but it's a shame to hear of your discomfort on such a wonderful sounding headphone for sure, but hope the mentioned modifications work out for you both in the long run :)

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,820 of 2,701
Oh but trust me, that doesn't hinder my ability to listen to my glorious Sig DJs!!! LOL
But yeah, one of the things I look for in all my headphones is comfort. When you are used to the Alpha Dogs, Denon Dxxx, etc. and then switch to something like the Sig DJs, you feel it... (or at least I feel it! :p).

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,821 of 2,701
Yea, comfort on the SIG DJ was an issue for me too. Pads didn't have much depth at all, felt like my ears were sitting on the drivers. Overall, the fit wasn't great.

The Pro series feels better, but it's no comfort master either. 

The Denon's and my new Fidelio X1 are winners on comfort. Seriously, that X1 is extremely comfortable. I actually thought the ultrasones were super comfortable till I got these!

The little bit of pressure from the top of the headphone where it scoops around the head is what usually bothers me most. When you pay attention to it, it can be annoying.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #1,822 of 2,701
Well gentlemen, I was surprised to read of Oregonian's discomfort for the Sig DJ's, but am now double surprised to also hear of gelocks discomfort too.

When I first purchased my Sig Pro's I was genuinely impressed with the fit comfort and Ethiopian sheepskin finish to a relatively utilitarian design that I regard as subtle and svelte. When I more recently purchased the Sig DJ's the comfort level for me improved further as the leather earcups appear more supple and softer.

For the kind of money these two headphones cost you could argue that they should in principle pretty much give all whom own these headphones a good level of comfort to a certain degree and discomfort should not come into the equation, but also maybe this is naive of me to assume such is possible for any manufacturer regardless of cost, just because my experience with these two particular headphones have been very comfortable to me personally.

If I experienced this level,of discomfort from these headphones, I would provide this feedback to ULTRASONE as perhaps they could incorporate design tweaks into future models that may alleviate both your current comfort issues.

On both my Sig Pro & Dj's I don't need to adjust the headband out to extend it at all as is the case with the majority of other models and makes that I use. On the headphones that I do have to extend the headband to get a good fit it's just a notch or two. Is this the same with you two guys, or I may have a small head size?

I don't know if this has any relevance whatsoever with either of your discomfort experienced with the Sig DJ's, I'm just thinking aloud, but it's a shame to hear of your discomfort on such a wonderful sounding headphone for sure, but hope the mentioned modifications work out for you both in the long run :)

It was enough of an issue to me that I put it up for sale...........and got offered my D7000 for a straight trade. Took that offer immediately.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #1,823 of 2,701
For me the Signature DJ clamp a bit too hard on my head compared to what I'm used to, but after a short while the tightness feeling goes away, but returns if I take them off long enough. I guess I just adjust to the pressure. My main complaint is the headband gives me a pressure spot on the top of my head after about an hour, a short break solves the problem. Non event most of the time as I tend to use these portably while walking to work.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #1,824 of 2,701
Yes, the Sig Pro is not the most comfortable headphone I know (especially compared to T1 or TH900), but its OK. I would appreciate it if they slimmed down the rather monstrous headband a bit... I guess part of its thickness is due to the sliding mechanism (because its not due to generous padding :wink: and making that robust bodes well with the target audience of course... Nevertheless its the one thing that kept me from wearing them on the street. Same for Sig DJ I guess, but maybe it persuades me with a bold presentation of sound :wink:

I like the robust feeling of the Sig Pro, which makes it one of only three headphones my little son was allowed to play around with so far. He's two years old, so playing around always means 'stress-test material and junctions' to figure out how that thing at hand works. The other two were the M-100 and the T51p btw.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #1,825 of 2,701
I actually find the Sig DJ comfortable, even more so than the Shure 1540. The key for me is the headband design. If designed like the Sig DJ and Beyer T5p, I have no issues. If, however, designed like the Shure 1540, HFI-780 , the split design, this causes pressure on my head and gives me headaches.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,826 of 2,701
Yep, it's all about that headband! The annoying pressure you can get from the band sometimes sucks.

But seriously, if anyone wants headphone comfort, Fidelio X1. It almost feels like nothing is even on your head, because the band adjusts and distributes the weight of the headphone evenly on the top of the head. Great design, very clever!

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #1,827 of 2,701
My only complaint is that they seem to be a bit too big for my head. But that can be fixed with that Headband thing that Oregonian used. 

The clamping force is pretty strong, but I can attest to the fact that it eases up with use. If you're looking to use them on the go, the clamping force is a plus, though. It also improves isolation. 

As for the cups being shallow, I admit that I felt that the first time I wore them, but today, I wouldn't say they are. It might be that I got used to it, but my ears don't touch the inside of the cups.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #1,828 of 2,701
Although i never had problems with the headband (i have quite thick hair), after using the djs for over 2-3 hours my ears would start to get sore from rubbing against the inside. Putting tissue paper underneath the earpads removed that problem but the earpads didnt feel as comfy. Wish there was a mod to combine a second set of earpads for super comfyness :3

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #1,829 of 2,701
Yep, it's all about that headband! The annoying pressure you can get from the band sometimes sucks.

But seriously, if anyone wants headphone comfort, Fidelio X1. It almost feels like nothing is even on your head, because the band adjusts and distributes the weight of the headphone evenly on the top of the head. Great design, very clever!

Yeah, I've the Fidelio X1 also and agree that pads and headband are very comfortable, but after reading yourself and others complaints of the Sig DJ discomfort issues , I'd be hesitant in recommending any can to others as comfortable unless they tried it for themselves.

Prior to reading of others discomfort for the Sig DJ's, I would have recommended it for its comfort factor, but I guess different people equates to different levels of comfort based on individual head shapes and sizes, to which that applies to all cans including the Fidelio X1, unless some manufacturer releases a bad ass can that's constructed out of durable but retaining the softness of cotton wool - but even then you'd get some people complaining that they are allergic to it - lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back