Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jul 12, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #1,846 of 2,701
Mine is #521. I brought it about 4 months ago.

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,847 of 2,701
Not long. What I meant was is that they were birthed and created waaaay before yours, making them older and wiser. :wink:

No.1 was probably given internally to staff.

Yeah, I totally get your claim of Siggy DJ Godfather, just don't expect everyone to kiss your ring - lol :D

imagejpg1-73.jpg

You think staff got serial number 1?

Maybe, or maybe not and it's out there, somewhere, but there can only ever be 1 Sig DJ serial No.1

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/kq4SqgxIKM0[/VIDEO]​

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #1,848 of 2,701
As silly as it may be I love serial numbers (simple ones that is, not date/run/location/whatever coded strings of symbols) -- it gives products something more personal in my opinion.

54 seems quite low. I don't know if Ultrasone uses serials on their prototypes (maybe not), but it must be from an early run.

My Sig Pro is #1903 btw. The Sig Pro seems to be in production since 2011 with the DJ following around 1 year later, so the Sig Pro seems to sell quite a bit better it seems (~700/2 years for Sig DJ vs. ~2000/3 years for Sig Pro) which correlates with my sightings: SPL for example use the Sig Pro for their booth demos. Never saw a Sig DJ used that way...

Got a little more listening time meanwhile... this one is really fun. Plus I like the treble a bit better than with the Sig Pro (though quite far away from my beloved Beyerdynamic models). Of course the Sig Pro is overall much more neutral, which might turn out better in the long run, but as I don't plan to use the Sig DJ as my everyday phone I think it won't wear off that fast: its something I'm going to use in more noisy areas and from time to time at home or the office to have some good fun.

I really like the rendering of voices... its not an effect driven headphone, its basically a really good one with enhanced bass response thats still structured and clean. Nice...

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #1,849 of 2,701
Just compared my T5p to the Sig DJ and bad news. The T5p makes the Sig DJ sound veiled. The T5p sounds so much clearer, airy, just listen to Lindsey Sterling's track "Swag". The violin just sounds so much better on the T5p. Ah man, don't know what to do now. The only thing the T5p lacks is bass. Other than that, it's better than the Sig DJ in every other aspect. Sorry folks.

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #1,850 of 2,701
Nothing to be sorry about I guess... the T5p is quite the opposite of the Sig DJ.
Maybe you'll want to try out the TH600 someday... while isolation is not as good as with either the Sig DJ or the T5p its tonal balance might fit your bill. TH900 as well, but I think the difference in quality is not adequately reflected in their difference in price.

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #1,851 of 2,701
  Nothing to be sorry about I guess... the T5p is quite the opposite of the Sig DJ.
Maybe you'll want to try out the TH600 someday... while isolation is not as good as with either the Sig DJ or the T5p its tonal balance might fit your bill. TH900 as well, but I think the difference in quality is not adequately reflected in their difference in price.

Cheers mate. Would you say the Mids of the Fostex are more forward than the Sig DJ?

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #1,852 of 2,701
I just have too many headphones at the moment, so I have not heard the TH600 for quite some time. As I remember (can't verify at the moment as they're at my office) they are a bit U-shaped (not as much as the TH900 though), so mids are not recessed. Treble is a bit less present than with the T5p, but also a bit less refined. While still a fun signature, they are less opinionated than the Sig DJ I'd say. But also less portable/robust if thats important to you.

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #1,853 of 2,701
Just compared my T5p to the Sig DJ and bad news. The T5p makes the Sig DJ sound veiled. The T5p sounds so much clearer, airy, just listen to Lindsey Sterling's track "Swag". The violin just sounds so much better on the T5p. Ah man, don't know what to do now. The only thing the T5p lacks is bass. Other than that, it's better than the Sig DJ in every other aspect. Sorry folks.

Yeah?

Hmm...between plakat, HBB and yourself all reporting much goodness of Beyer, I know I'll have to check them out for myself.

Is the T5p as robust in build as the Sig DJ and is it bigger, smaller, chunkier?

Personally I would never give up my Sig DJ, for me it a keeper.

Picking up a new can would be an addition - such is the life of a headcan whore - lol :D

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #1,854 of 2,701
I just have too many headphones at the moment, so I have not heard the TH600 for quite some time. As I remember (can't verify at the moment as they're at my office) they are a bit U-shaped (not as much as the TH900 though), so mids are not recessed. Treble is a bit less present than with the T5p, but also a bit less refined. While still a fun signature, they are less opinionated than the Sig DJ I'd say. But also less portable/robust if thats important to you.

Absolutely, you nailed it.

I find the highs on the TH600 can be on occasion a little piercing on certain tracks, which the TH900 seem to smooth off, but both the Fostex cans are stellar, though I'm not fully convinced the 900 is worth double and a bit more of the 600 price.

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #1,855 of 2,701
The T5p might be quite different from what you expect... I'd never actually compare it directly to the Sig DJ as these are at opposite sides of the spectrum to me.

While the T5p does have clear and deep reaching bass its not that present to be really fun with EDM. It seals very good, comfort is better than with the Sig DJ (deeper cups, wider inner diameter of the pads, also finished in soft leather. Cups don't fold flat and can't be compacted in any other way, so its much bigger to transport. As much as I love Beyerdynamic cans this might be the most troublesome instance to me... I'd rather recommend the T1 or maybe the T90, semi-open and open respectively and for home use only though. Which is why I found interest in the Ultrasone Signature series: robust, folding, portable.

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #1,856 of 2,701

I owned the T70p for quite some time. The go into the same direction as the T5p, but not so extreme. When a lot of the headphones that I like today drop over 1000 Hz and come back with a small spike around 10000 Hz the Bayers do not drop, the either stay at the same loudness level (T70p), or either even climb a lot around 2000 Hz(T5p/T1 even more).
For long and healthy listening sessions, I prefer the dropped treble tuning of the Signatures over the pronounced treble tuning of the Beyerdynamics. For me the more laid back treble on the Ultrasone Signatures is a game changer and one reason to buy and keep them.
But if you come from a treble rich can like the T5p, a lot other cans will sound veiled firsthand. Listen to the Sig Dj for a week or so exclusively and then go back to your T5p, will probably lead to the feeling, that the T5p is much too bright.
Not saying that the Bayer tuning is wrong, it is just different.

Listening to Eminem Rhyme or Reason ALAC> Ipod Classic last gen>LOD>Fiio E12 low gain, bass boost off> Ultrasone Signature Dj  
L3000.gif

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #1,857 of 2,701
Absolutely, you nailed it.

I find the highs on the TH600 can be on occasion a little piercing on certain tracks, which the TH900 seem to smooth off, but both the Fostex cans are stellar, though I'm not fully convinced the 900 is worth double and a bit more of the 600 price.

The cups do have value to me, they are a pleasure to view and hold, knowing about the production process... I value old japanese culture very much and these cups are a perfect example of their craftsmanship to me. Considering that the price is fine with me, but based purely on sound difference the TH600 is offers a much better performance/price ratio.

Their own A8 is a good companion to the TH900 btw (as can be expected), it tames the sometimes overwhelming bass a bit and lets them sound much more refined. Still I prefer the often mentioned T1 as its just more relaxing for longer listening. Not because of comfort issues as both are rather flawless in that regard, its just about the light, airy, stress-less presentation of the T1 thats a perfect fit to my taste.

Nevertheless I'm now using the Sig DJ and enjoying it quite a bit...

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #1,858 of 2,701

Quote:
Picking up a new can would be an addition - such is the life of a headcan whore - lol
biggrin.gif

I'm the same. Right now I'm desperate to try out the PM-2, HE560, TH500RP, FAD PH VI, Shure 1540 and the Perfect Sound Dido. I should probably sell of some of my 20+ cans, or trade them out. I can just as easily see a couple of those joining the collection some time by the end of the year without any leaving. 

As long as it doesn't stuff up your life financially I don't see a issue. My girlfriend is cool with my collection, as she has her collection of photography equipment. Sure we could save some money for a holiday, or something else - but we both derive our fun out of it. For me its the feeling of discovery and I enjoy the ability to know about all the different phones - to help others find out what they want in audio. I've got about 7 of my headphones out loaned to friends and relatives for them to have a better listening experience - them being happy makes me happy.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #1,859 of 2,701
The cups do have value to me, they are a pleasure to view and hold, knowing about the production process... I value old japanese culture very much and these cups are a perfect example of their craftsmanship to me. Considering that the price is fine with me, but based purely on sound difference the TH600 is offers a much better performance/price ratio.

Their own A8 is a good companion to the TH900 btw (as can be expected), it tames the sometimes overwhelming bass a bit and lets them sound much more refined. Still I prefer the often mentioned T1 as its just more relaxing for longer listening. Not because of comfort issues as both are rather flawless in that regard, its just about the light, airy, stress-less presentation of the T1 thats a perfect fit to my taste.

Nevertheless I'm now using the Sig DJ and enjoying it quite a bit...

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/29iTkYSZ1qk[/VIDEO]

Amazing attention to detail and true old school Japanese hand crafted manufacture techniques :)

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #1,860 of 2,701
Thats the thing I'm talking about :wink:

Sometimes reminds me of a joke that might loose its point a bit in translation... anyway: at some time german engineers produced the thinnest possible wire and did not know what to do with their accomplishment. so they sent a sample to japanese colleagues, describing their fantastical production process and ending with the question: any idea what to do with that? some time later the japanese engineers sent back the sample, accompanied by a letter: "we didn't know what to do with it either. so we drilled a hole through it. in length."

Not that I prefer japanese voicing (while I do like the Fostex cans I cannot say the same about Audio Technica e.g.), but their technical skills and attention to detail are impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back