Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jul 14, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #1,876 of 2,701
  Sleep is totally overrated anyways...

Totally, we can sleep when we're dead. Till then, gotta be on head-fi, round the clock. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,877 of 2,701
Reminds me of a colleague at college in the 90s rave high-times... 24h+ music/party with the comment "I can sleep when I'm dead" or "4h of sleep is enough. for this week." Most notably he did not take any suspect substances but lived on the love and enthusiasm for music (but slept well more than 4h/week as well :wink:

So yes... I did stay up rather late yesterday jsut to listen to some music ("Made in Berlin, Vol. 2" -- nice electronics if anyone is interested)... The Sig DJ is really fun to listen to. And the glowing VU-meters of the Phonitor 2 give the exact right atmosphere.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #1,880 of 2,701
I've been enjoying my sig dj for a couple years. It's sure a fun headphone. And it's quite forgiving. A lot of music sound good

Cool :cool:

What's your cans serial number - is it lower than erod's SD 00014?

If it is - you become the new thread Godfather - so as you can see it's quite a prize to gain such title :rolleyes: :D

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #1,881 of 2,701
Any comparisons with the Alpha Dog?

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #1,882 of 2,701
  Any comparisons with the Alpha Dog?

Alpha Dog vs Signature DJ

Alpha dog has a more neutral overall sound, treble for me is a bit harder without doggie treats - with them its smoother and less bright than the DJ. It has a more forward/full midrange, less mid bass, less lower bass, far less impact and rumble - but tighter bass overall. The AD bass is about as hard hitting as something like a well amped HD800 or HD700 as far as my listening goes. The AD seems a bit cleaner/quicker in hard passages. The AD has good imaging and a above average stage for a closed can. I actually find the DJ to have more impressive imaging and staging but this may be trickery by S Logic style imaging. The Alpha dog is a fair bit heavier, but they have a lighter clamp. The DJ is slightly ahead in leakage and isolates better imo. I find the AD to be best for my softer Jazz, Acoustic, Classical and other more organic styles.

The DJ is a U shaped response. The bass is quite powerful, hits hard and is really fun and vibrant. The treble is elevated but never sibilant for my listening - only the very worst masters give me trouble. The mids are a bit further back and more laid back overall - but not heavily recessed. The sound has instant wow factor, but may not be everyones cup of tea for all round usage. The DJ bass can be overbearing to people not accustomed to U shaped cans with this cans ability to go deep powerfully. The DJ is better suited to EDM and electronic stuff, I love it for portable metal listening, I also enjoy it a lot for pop, rap and kpop. 

Comparing both to the Fostex Series, as I've heard the TH900 and own the TH600. The TH900 has a bigger soundstage, and to me more impressive imaging than both the others. It has bass that rumbles more than the DJ, but I felt it impacted less. Treble to me is very vague of what I remember, I think the DJ and TH900 were both slightly bright, but neither annoyed me with sibilance at all. The TH900 has rather poor leakage and isolation compared to the other two. 

YMMV of course. I tried out the TH900 on a Audio GD NFB 5 - so take that as you will. The TH900 would no doubtably sound better with a different amp. The other two I own and haved used on the WA7, NFB 28, MF HPA M1 and Pan Am.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #1,886 of 2,701
Does anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area have a pair of Signature DJ's I can listen to? Maybe we can do a mini-meet. There hasn't been anyone at any of the previous Head-Fi meets with them and I have been meaning to listen to them for the longest time. I bought a pair of T5P's and they lack the bass I am looking for and aren't as fun as my ES10's for example... If the Sig DJ's are like the ES10's but more open/revealing (and not much brighter) then they are the cans I have been looking for..

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #1,887 of 2,701
While I'm certainly too far away to give you a demo I think it might indeed be what you're looking for: while I don't know the ES10 I own a T5p as well. The latter has better resolution in the treble, but he Sig DJ has a more engaging bass, not overwhelming (i.e. drowning the rest of the spectrum), but emphasized, still clear and deep reaching. Plus its not sibilant to me, though it misses a bit of the sparkle the T5p offers and seems to have a slight elevation in the lower treble (just a tad less than the Sig Pro which can get a bit hot in that region).

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #1,888 of 2,701
Hello everyone,

I mainly listen to pop, rock, EDM etc. I love trance and Eurodance, the upbeat kind. That said, I sometimes enjoy listening to classic rock such as The Beatles, or jazz (mostly guitar jazz) such as George Benson and Eric Johnson. I'm considering Fostex TH900s which are said to have some of the best bass quantity and quality on the headphones market. I've recently discovered the Signature line by Ultrasone, Signature Pro and Signature DJ. Based on my tastes, which one do you think would be better for me? And how do they compare to Fostex TH900?

- I have Chord Hugo as dac/amp. I like it due to its small size and won't be using big amps.
- I have HD650s which I enjoy. I want a pair with more exciting sound but without any harsh treble.
- I want fun sound. I don't like cold, analytical sound. I don't sit on a couch listening to music whilst drinking hot chocolate on a cold sunday night. I have my Hi-Fi system for that. I'll be using headphones whilst surfing on internet. I'm allergic to bad sound though so I want the best sound possible without ruining my finances.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,889 of 2,701
  Hello everyone,

I mainly listen to pop, rock, EDM etc. I love trance and Eurodance, the upbeat kind. That said, I sometimes enjoy listening to classic rock such as The Beatles, or jazz (mostly guitar jazz) such as George Benson and Eric Johnson. I'm considering Fostex TH900s which are said to have some of the best bass quantity and quality on the headphones market. I've recently discovered the Signature line by Ultrasone, Signature Pro and Signature DJ. Based on my tastes, which one do you think would be better for me? And how do they compare to Fostex TH900?

- I have Chord Hugo as dac/amp. I like it due to its small size and won't be using big amps.
- I have HD650s which I enjoy. I want a pair with more exciting sound but without any harsh treble.
- I want fun sound. I don't like cold, analytical sound. I don't sit on a couch listening to music whilst drinking hot chocolate on a cold sunday night. I have my Hi-Fi system for that. I'll be using headphones whilst surfing on internet. I'm allergic to bad sound though so I want the best sound possible without ruining my finances.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ultrasone-signature-dj/reviews/7773

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623238/ultrasone-signature-dj/1515#post_10514444
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623238/ultrasone-signature-dj/1590#post_10630942
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623238/ultrasone-signature-dj/1320#post_10055093
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623238/ultrasone-signature-dj/720#post_9313810

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #1,890 of 2,701
  While I'm certainly too far away to give you a demo I think it might indeed be what you're looking for: while I don't know the ES10 I own a T5p as well. The latter has better resolution in the treble, but he Sig DJ has a more engaging bass, not overwhelming (i.e. drowning the rest of the spectrum), but emphasized, still clear and deep reaching. Plus its not sibilant to me, though it misses a bit of the sparkle the T5p offers and seems to have a slight elevation in the lower treble (just a tad less than the Sig Pro which can get a bit hot in that region).

I feel like the T5P's are still slightly too bright and like the Edition 8's I owned before, there seems to be more rumbly sub-bass rather than the punchy mid-bass I am looking for in EDM. If I was watching a movie or playing video games the T5P would be great, but they just don't touch me in any way. I like the way the drivers look but they aren't that comfy. I like the T5P better for sound than my ED8 I had, but the ED8 was way more portable and comfy for me. I just didn't like the brigthness and lack of mid-bass on the ED8, and that's what I don't like about the T5P... My favourite headphones by Sound Signature are probably the PX100's... I've looked through a lot - HD800's are nice but too bright, same with a lot of the Audeze, etc... Also I would prefer isolating and semi-portable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back