Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jul 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,892 of 2,701
Now there's a thought. Ultrasone should get Micaela Schäfer to market for them.
tongue_smile.gif

<I wonder how many of you lot are going to *left click /drag (Micaela Schäfer), right click :search Google>
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,893 of 2,701
Does anyone know of any high profile DJ that actually uses the Sig DJ's?

I did a google search but it brought up nothing?

I'd say there are more headfiers using the Sig DJ for personal music listening in a non DJ capacity than there are pro users?

Of course I could be totally wrong as I'm just guessing here.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #1,894 of 2,701
While I can't say anything about high profile DJs (don't know any of them personally), the Sig DJ is not a thing normal DJs would even take a look at... much to expensive. Professionals *very* often choose the classic Senn HD25, maybe one of the Pioneer offerings. Nowadays I've seen some DJ friends even sport the Beats on-ear DJ model, AKG K181 was en vogue for some time as well. All well below €300,-... Its a tool, chances are someone will step onto them... its just not worth it to risk almost €1k for better sound quality than those cheaper alternatives when the HD25 is already perfectly suited... you won't notice better sound quality in the booth...

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #1,895 of 2,701
While I can't say anything about high profile DJs (don't know any of them personally), the Sig DJ is not a thing normal DJs would even take a look at... much to expensive. Professionals *very* often choose the classic Senn HD25, maybe one of the Pioneer offerings. Nowadays I've seen some DJ friends even sport the Beats on-ear DJ model, AKG K181 was en vogue for some time as well. All well below €300,-... Its a tool, chances are someone will step onto them... its just not worth it to risk almost €1k for better sound quality than those cheaper alternatives when the HD25 is already perfectly suited... you won't notice better sound quality in the booth...

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, I've DJ'd in clubs before and used clubs cans which were mostly HD25's.

Watching the various DJ's at ULTRA music Festival in Miami, headphones worn included Nicky Romero wearing beats mixr, Skrillex using beats pro, Hardwell & Showtek using v-moda m-100 and Afrojack using HD25's, obviously anyone of these famous DJ's could easily afford the Sig DJ's but no takers.

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #1,896 of 2,701
I don't understand the pricing of these 2.  The Signature DJ is 50 mm, and the price is $200 cheaper than the Signature Pro, which is 40 mm.  Why?

Is the Signature DJ made in Germany?  And is the band really tight as per the front page review of Head-FI?

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #1,897 of 2,701
Because the size and other properties of the driver are tuned to its intended use, especially the diameter is not directly a price factor (i.e. 40mm is not automatically cheaper than 50mm diameter).

Yes, both Signature models are made in Germany. What do you mean by tight?

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #1,898 of 2,701
http://www.head-fi.org/t/61379/has-anybody-compared-sound-between-40-mm-cup-headphones-to-50mm

here's a link from fellow members having difference of opinion btwn. 40 mm driver vs. 50 mm drivers.  Some agree w/ you, some don't

the front page of this website has its over review, under pro / con, the con section said the band is tight.

=========

Now, what about the glass?  Isn't it easy to break since it is glass? 

So what makes the Signature Pro $200 higher?

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #1,899 of 2,701
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/61379/has-anybody-compared-sound-between-40-mm-cup-headphones-to-50mm

here's a link from fellow members having difference of opinion btwn. 40 mm driver vs. 50 mm drivers.  Some agree w/ you, some don't

the front page of this website has its over review, under pro / con, the con section said the band is tight.

=========

I can't say that I care very much about people claiming that a bigger driver automatically sounds better... Its simply not the case. Take a DT1350 which has a rather small driver with about 30mm diameter: its still much better than other options with much larger drivers. There are many factors that work together, a major one being the magnet system, others include diameter and material used in the voice coil, the material used for the membrane, its form, etc. A comparison that tries to reduce different sound signatures solely to driver size is nonsense.

Regarding the Signature series: The glass is hardened as I understand, its also a bit recessed to it should not break easily. I think the Sig Pro is more expensive since it caters to a different audience that is willing to pay a premium for a robust, rather neutral closed headphone... I see them often at fairs, e.g. SPL uses them to demo their gear (professional headphone amps, DACs etc.).

The different driver sizes are likely used because the different tuning was easier to accomplish this way: a bigger driver may help with the intended pronounced bass of the Sig DJ.

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #1,900 of 2,701

=========

I owned the Pro first - then the DJ - and I did wonder why on earth the Pro's cost more - only reason I can think of - because the Pro's are all black and sticking a "Pro" tag onto them seems to justify charging more as Pro equates to "neutral" sounding for professionals to be attracted to?

Just guessing here - but nonetheless - both the Pro and DJ variants of the Signature are both worthy enough for owners to group together and form protective cults.....

....when you buy one of the Signature series - we'll be waiting for you......(starts horror film cliche manic laugh) :D

And dude - the glass is re-enforced safety glass - ULTRASONE have tested these cans taking multiple 10ft drops before any damage occurs - you will break way before these cans do :wink:

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #1,902 of 2,701
at the side of the headphone of the signature pro, is it metal?

No - plastic - but high grade plastic at that.

If you're looking for where some of the luxury lies with the Signatures - Pro or DJ - then look no further than the headband and earpads - Ethiopian sheepskin leather = very wow!

Here's back of Sig DJ retail box with all the gumpf for you to check :

And a pretty picture (psst - the DJ has a more "fun" sound to the Pro :wink: but you never heard it from me - K?)

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/c8Ai6Vf6H4w[/VIDEO]

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #1,903 of 2,701
I owned the Pro first - then the DJ - and I did wonder why on earth the Pro's cost more - only reason I can think of - because the Pro's are all black and sticking a "Pro" tag onto them seems to justify charging more as Pro equates to "neutral" sounding for professionals to be attracted to?

Just guessing here - but nonetheless - both the Pro and DJ variants of the Signature are both worthy enough for owners to group together and form protective cults.....

I first decide to go w/ a wooden headphone, as some say the wood creates a natural sound.  And I decided on the ATH-ESW9a, but I just realize that in the past 10 yr., I have bang the side of my head phone against various metal object, so the side has to be metal.  If it were wood, I can crack it or scratch it, then it would look really ugly.  So now, I am starting from scratch to shop for a portable headphone.

So I do hope the Ultrasone is my final choice, as I like the workmanship of Germany

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #1,904 of 2,701
I first decide to go w/ a wooden headphone, as some say the wood creates a natural sound.  And I decided on the ATH-ESW9a, but I just realize that in the past 10 yr., I have bang the side of my head phone against various metal object, so the side has to be metal.  If it were wood, I can crack it or scratch it, then it would look really ugly.  So now, I am starting from scratch to shop for a portable headphone.

So I do hope the Ultrasone is my final choice, as I like the workmanship of Germany

Well both the Pro & DJ are very, very robust headphones and are both made in mind of professional use - consider how much abuse pro DJ's put their headphones through and you get the general idea that both these cans have been made to last for a long time, even when subject to the most heavy handed use and environments - outside of an atomic bomb taking a direct hit on either pair - both the Signatures would likely survive a zombie apocalypse - which everyone knows is gonna happen one day.....right? :wink: :D

ps I just updated pics in previous post and added a review video of the Sig DJ you may find useful :)

Quick overview - if you appreciate a more neutral balanced refined sound - then the Pros may be worth you auditioning - if you prefer something with a little more junk in the trunk and a twinkle of mischief in its eye - then the more bass emphasised DJ's may be worth you auditioning.

Or if you get chance - audition both.

Personally - I prefer the more fun sound that is the DJ - but nonetheless, both are great headphones in sound and build from the German headphone supremos, ULTRASONE :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back