Ultrasone PRO900
Jun 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #751 of 924
Hello, I wanted to resurrect this thread. I have the pro900 now for a few months and I like it at home and on the go,m it has just enough isolation for my needs. Although i will soon sell it and get the jvcdx1000, i might rebuy it in the future if I dont like that one because I think the pro900 is the best closed phone (in a compromise between comfort, isolation, builtquality and sq) that I have found so far, although i still want to try the new shures. I want to say that my pro900 has really com eto life with my new woo wa2 which was not expected. It sounded very nice and neutral with my headroom ultra desktop but with the woo it sounds so much more lively and has a better more pronounced low end. I like it a lot and i was surprised by this synergy between the wa2, which is an otl tube amp and the pro900
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #752 of 924
Right, I finally decided to try padding my Pro 900, and put 1 piece of felt in the bottom, then stuck another small piece of felt over one of the baffle holes on the metallic driver mounting plate.

I can't believe how much the sound has changed. My Pro 900 now kind of remind me of HD650s actually; That same sort of "richness" to the sound, yet still non-fatiguing.

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #753 of 924
hi~ first, sorry for my bad english. I hope you guys understand what i mean

I wanna change my pro900s sound, so I decided to do kees mod.

as far as i know, there is 3step to do it.

1. cover middle hole with felt disk
2. glue another felt disk inside of the cup
3. putting cotton woll in the cup

I just wanna know what effect each one of step have?

If i can fully understand each effect, i can adjust it for my taste

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #754 of 924
Maybe better not to know exactly as to not get coloured in your opinion? The mod is entirely reversable so you can just do some trial and error. Just make sure the felt disk doesn´t touch the driver and generally you need thin layers of cotton wool. but just experiment with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Try with and without the middle hole as well.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #755 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkwh867 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi~ first, sorry for my bad english. I hope you guys understand what i mean

I wanna change my pro900s sound, so I decided to do kees mod.

as far as i know, there is 3step to do it.

1. cover middle hole with felt disk
2. glue another felt disk inside of the cup
3. putting cotton woll in the cup

I just wanna know what effect each one of step have?

If i can fully understand each effect, i can adjust it for my taste

The felt discs dampen vibrations of the plastic cup and the metal housing of the driver. these vibrations give a metalic, harsh edge to some parts of the sound.
The cottonwool is to reduce bass. I think you need only very little, but you can best experiment yourself and see what you like best.

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #760 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Link Kees mod.
I think it's a good thing the mod is really easy...
wink.gif

Why didn't you do this to the Edition 9 before selling them? Just curious.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #761 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why didn't you do this to the Edition 9 before selling them? Just curious.

The ed9 are different than the PRO series. They don't have the same issues and I didn't know how to solve them. It was only after I had already sold the ed9 that I found the solution for the PRO900, too late to try it on the ed9, but I doubt it would work for them.
I'm more interested in the ed8 though, but I'm too busy with other phones at the moment to focus on them (I have tried to make a balanced recable for my HE5, didn't work now I have a balanced Black Dragon in the mail to try them with my balanced DNA Sonett, and I'm also extensively modding my Kenwood KH K1000, not an easy mod this time, but boy are they sounding good....). Too much to do, too little time (and I'm not even working atm!)!

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #762 of 924
No point in Kees modding the ED 8... They are over damped if anything
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #763 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No point in Kees modding the ED 8... They are over damped if anything
wink.gif

I'm not interested in modding them, I'm just interested in hearing them.

For starters.

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #764 of 924
Just received my 2nd pair of Pro900s.  Ultrasone have obviously listened to the Headphone buying public, as the two cables now consisit of one longer (with coiling) with 1/4 plug and one shorter (1.5 Metres) with 1/8 portable plug.  Both switch earpads are now black.  Now all I need to do is purchase some felt and let some burn in happen.  Pro900s -Love 'em.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #765 of 924
Whoa they updated the accessories included? Kernmac, where did you buy your 2nd pair?

Can't stop tinkering with these, I'm afraid the screws are starting to strip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back