Ultrasone PRO900
Apr 14, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #736 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice several of you also have the HFI-780s and a lot was discussed on these when they came out not so long ago. Any chance of hearing a comparison between these and the PRO 900s? I think I have gone through all the postings in this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe such comparisons have been done, just not in this thread, try searching around a bit.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #738 of 924
Just wanted to say before I disappear until May 14th or so, that I'm extremely satisfied with these headphones and that I haven't abandoned them because I won't be posting for the next 25 days
tongue.gif

Oftentimes I've whined about the Pro 900, but it's just because 1. I have something against sticking cotton in headphones (does sound amazing though) and 2. I am venting frustration I can't get it to sound exactly the way I want it to with my few equipment options... which I now realize was very stupid of me since I have learned to enjoy the Pro 900 more than my other headphones now, neutrality is an acquired taste after a lifetime of bubblegum-type music and equipment. The Pro 900 is neutral, detailed, and shows your equipment exactly as it is, and has great modding/recabling potential.

And Kees' mod has made the music so sweet-sounding I've come close to tears several times. It's too bad Kees did not like the silver dragon cable at all, and that the only two people who have posted positive comments of recabling the Pro 900 are shadowmoses and I, and because for this reason I've refrained from posting my findings with recabling. For sure the stock Pro 900 is funky (Ultrasone agrees, they said their balanced Pro 900 is way better in a video I posted earlier in this thread), but when modded it really does shine.

Bye for the next 3 weeks.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #739 of 924
Hello everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

I happily received my pair of PRO 900's two days ago and was immediately amazed at how well they sounded straight from my old PC! Late into the evening of my first night trying them out, I noticed that the right 'ear' of the headphones (the side in which the cable is not attached) felt like it created more of a seal around my ear, and the bass as well as the rest of the music felt deeper and more 'complete' (please excuse my lack of correct sound terminology as new at this and will try to learn quickly). The left ear on the set sounded lighter and more airy, and had less bass. I initially thought my right ear might be clogged, therefore it felt like there was a stronger seal and the bass was bigger, but as I switched the headphones around to make sure, it became apparent that each side of the headphones put out different levels of sound.
frown.gif

Until this time, I have only used the headphones to listen to music at a normal volume level for no more than 6 hours (in 2 days). I made sure my EQ settings on the PC were balanced as far as L & R settings. Even with the headphones unplugged, I can still feel a difference in pressure & suction/seal between the left and right ears... this is somewhat worrysome and I know that this place would be better than anywhere to hear input or any similar experiences with these headphones. I've sent an email to Ultrasone describing the nature of what I'm hearing, and hope that they might be of some assistance as wel.

Could this possibly be a new headphone issue that burn-in might somehow solve? I would love to hear some good news but any news is better than nothing and I appreciate any of your guys' input who've put up with such a long-winded first post
smily_headphones1.gif

And thank you to my buddy who helped me with the selection of these headphones over on what.cd (who is also a felllow head-fi member), your time was much appreciated!

Cheers,

wcw

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #740 of 924
wcw - I've never had that problem with my PRO900s. I double checked just now, and they are definatley outputing even amounts of sound on both sides. I think the most likely problem is like you said, either one of your ears clogged, or windows is panning the music to the right slightly for some reason. It's also possible that one of the drivers is damaged, but i wouldn't jump to this conclusion just yet.
First off, i would ask someone else to listen to see if they can tell the difference (because it may be your ears, and not the headphones) and if they can hear the difference aswell, try it in a CD player or iPod or something similar. If you still have the same problem, then its probably time to think about getting a replacement pair.

EDIT - Also, forgot to say...make sure that the cable is screwed in properly into the headphones. It should be a very tight and secure fit.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #741 of 924
Also, all Ultrasones need some decent burn-in time, before they settle down to their normal final sound.

I have seen burn-in "cure" various types of anomalies. But not all, of course.

Sometimes I have gotten a can with un-balanced ear voulmes, and have exchanged them, and gotten a pair that works correctly.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #742 of 924
I was unlucky enough to end up with a faulty Pro 900 cans.

With mine, the sound was all messed up depending how deep I plugged the cable into the jack. When I got the depth right, I was also able to notice - sometimes - a slightly higher volume on the right driver.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/i-t...faulty-421309/

I am not saying yours is faulty. Mine was on a league of its own, that is, something definetely wrong. Just keep an open mind, and if in doubt, send it back for a replacement before it's too late.

May 1, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #743 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by wcw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet. (Not sure if I told you sorry about your wallet before
dt880smile.png
) Sorry you're having issues with the new headphones, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, all Ultrasones need some decent burn-in time, before they settle down to their normal final sound.

I have seen burn-in "cure" various types of anomalies. But not all, of course.

Sometimes I have gotten a can with un-balanced ear voulmes, and have exchanged them, and gotten a pair that works correctly.

Yeah, this doesn't sound like an issue the burn-in panacea is going to cure.

Definitely make sure the cable is screwed in all the way -- you should be physically unable to twist it any more. My vote, barring the cable being connected incorrectly, is that it's a bad pair. Like others above me have said, make sure and try a second source like a portable, receiver, etc. to make sure the imbalance isn't caused by your computer's output should you seek an RMA.

May 17, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #744 of 924
There's been a question in the back of my mind for a while, so today I just asked Ultrasone what the sound character of the Pro 900 is supposed to be. If you read the product description for the 550, it says it has good bass, 650 has balanced image and transparency, 750 has exact and correct sound reproduction. If I had to make a guess I'd say the stock 900 MIGHT have the sound signature equivalent of the 550. Let's see what their response is later.

May 17, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #745 of 924
I really want to get these. But I cant decide if they are what I want or the HFI. The issue being I havent heard any Ultrasone yet and doubt I will unless I buy them. I need to get my lazy azz to Moon Audio and check out all the different headphones and stop blindly buying. Its just that Im lazy and if I do I guess I need to bring a mix cd to compare it to music I like?

May 18, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #746 of 924
I think Michael Willberg said the Pro 900 was the start of a new Pro lineup so I thought perhaps the Pro 900 is designed to be bass-heavy like the Pro 550. Crystal at Ultrasone told me the production description for the Pro 900 was this, "Credo of Sound" and "PRO 900. The Acoustic Majesty of Professional Grandeur. The first Ultrasone PRO headphones with the patented S-Logic PLUS technology. Enjoy unlimited sound performance. Trust your ears . . ."

page 4 of http://www.ultrasone.com/anhaenge/so...ge/english.pdf

That description sounds a bit right to me
tongue.gif
unlimited vibrating.

May 19, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #747 of 924
Mine doesn´t vibrate at all
smily_headphones1.gif
. Though they can throw a punch or two if it´s called for. But really it´s genious to give them so full bass.

How would you keeS mod them to add more bass? I think they should simple license the KeeS mod from KeeS so he get rich on it and ship upcoming headphones with suitable material so everyone get the bass that is "right" for them

May 28, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #748 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine doesn´t vibrate at all
smily_headphones1.gif
. Though they can throw a punch or two if it´s called for. But really it´s genious to give them so full bass.

How would you keeS mod them to add more bass? I think they should simple license the KeeS mod from KeeS so he get rich on it and ship upcoming headphones with suitable material so everyone get the bass that is "right" for them

I think less cotton=less bass, so no cotton=most bass. I love the bass, not complaining, I am amazed 100% of the time I have them on because of the bass. Blue dragon+pro 900 is what would happen if Skullcandy ever made an actually high fidelity statement headphone.

One gripe I had for the longest time is that it sounded closed in compared to the HFI-2200, but now after listening to some good live music, I realize it's closed in only when the recording is closed in lol. The Pro 900 really is a masterpiece, just have to get used to the monitor sound for a few more months lol.

Also, they canceled the H-101 balanced amp and balanced Pro 900, not competing against their own Edition 8 is a good idea.

May 28, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #749 of 924
Was a bit unclear was thinking about the upcoming models. If they are going to be more bass light to begin with you may want to mod them the other way. It´s better to as mentioned license the KeeS mod on the new models instead.

Though I guess from a business perspective it´s wiser to produce the same headphones in five different versions guess that´s why they don´t do it.

May 28, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #750 of 924
Ultrasone wouldn't risk people to mod their headphones and would just say it voids the warranty. I'd like to hear a comparison of Kees modded Pro 900 vs. Edition 8 though lol, I read in the Edition 8 thread that it has more reined in bass and is more forward than the Edition 9, maybe it sounds like a Kees modded Pro 900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back