Ultrasone PRO900
Apr 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #706 of 924
Yeah tricky one requires a lot of planning I suppose. A bit like Rubricks cube or what it´s called lol

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #707 of 924
In the video Michael Willberg unscrews and rescrews it in without looking like he was figuring out a rubricks cube :p. They aren't really Y-chords, they're like two cables terminating in a 4-pin xlr connector, so you have a lot of leeway to twist the cables even though they seem pretty thick. If it will make things too stiff you can always countertwist the cables before twisting.

I wonder why they did the split mod though, if they're using Oehlbach cables in this (not sure) I don't see why they should bypass the extra length of wiring in the headband.

Hey Kees, any updates on the silver cable? If they still suck, does it suck big time? The first version of the silver dragon had a bad rep for breaking.

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #708 of 924
Wow, just kees modded my Pro 550.

Instead of the previous full bodied bass and slightly harsh treble, its now reversed. The bass isn't harsh, but it has definitely been reduced, and the treble has really come out. Melody Gardot has never sounded so good out of the 550.

Apr 7, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #709 of 924
What is the best amps you have found for the PRO 900?

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #711 of 924
I'm looking into a buying a pair of these babies very soon.

Does anyone know how much the sound will suffer by running them through a laptop headphone port?

I mean i plan on getting a decent DAC/Amp later on, but for now I was just planning on running them through the laptop.

Would the difference be quite subtle or night and day if i had them running through my laptop as opposed to a a $500-1000 dac/amp setup?

I know they're only 40ohms so they shouldn't sound too bad out of my laptop.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #712 of 924
They sound very nice to me out of my mp3 player or computer, but all computers have different built-in sound quality so you should see what others think of your onboard sound card. I also plugged my Pro 900 to comp to do some ASIO4ALL vs. directsound tests with my onboard Realtek HD Audio (doesn't apply if you use OS X since that has built-in low-latency audio), and even with onboard there was a noteworthy difference. If you are wondering what you will miss, IMO the Pro 900's just reveal your equipment. If you use mid-fi you will hear mid-fi, etc. (not saying I have hi-fi, just admitting I have given up trying to make the Pro 900's sound to their full potential)

To the poster below me: Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

And I agree that out of the computer/mp3 player it could really benefit from an amp, but what is nice about the Pro 900 is the realistic sound which is still retained out of a bad source. But I don't recommend the Pro 900 if you are planning to use it from a laptop forever.

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #713 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krackatus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking into a buying a pair of these babies very soon.

Does anyone know how much the sound will suffer by running them through a laptop headphone port?

I mean i plan on getting a decent DAC/Amp later on, but for now I was just planning on running them through the laptop.

Would the difference be quite subtle or night and day if i had them running through my laptop as opposed to a a $500-1000 dac/amp setup?

I know they're only 40ohms so they shouldn't sound too bad out of my laptop.

Night and day. They sound okay straight from my laptop (ALC269 audio)/Zune, they're very one-dimensional and the bass is very uncontrolled. While they're low impedance, they're also low sensitivity, so a better source and/or amp is certainly worthwhile (they sound great with the EF1) but you don't need to go spending $1k. Nice interrobang

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #715 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krackatus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for responses guys.

How much do you reckon i would have to spend (roughly) on source gear and amp to get these sounding their best then?

You could get a DAC/Amp combo like the Audio-Gd compass for around $300, which receives much praise here. To sound their best, there's not really an end to how much you could spend, though; sorry about your wallet
regular_smile .gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #716 of 924
How does the Pro 900 sound reproduction accuracy compare to other high-end headphones?

The only headphones I've ever had was a bunch of stocks, $30 jvc one, B&O A8, and now three Ultrasones (just got iCans! Very fun phones), but I really can't imagine more realistic (not necessarily more "natural") dynamic phones than this.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #717 of 924
^I think the Pro 900 is cleaner than the HD650. Might lack some punch compared to the HD650 in hard rock and other similar genres of music, but it trades that for a much more balanced, smoother presentation that makes them less tiring and better as an all-rounder.

Soundstage wise, I find the pro 900 better than the HD650; Wider, and instrument separation is a tad better.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #718 of 924
lol I found a very good use for the Pro 900, it's so much easier to listen to my pimsleur spanish language cd's with the Pro 900 than the HFI-2200, NOW I HEAR EVERYTHING. Now I can clearly hear the "b" noise in "v's" in Spanish. The trill noise, omg!

With the HFI-2200+blue dragon+moon opamp I was being lulled into a hypnotic state by the language cd's. Pro 900 highly recommended for language audio cd's.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #720 of 924
Got the 900s today. Have to say i'm very impressed with them. Bass is astonishingly good, even with such a bad source, no amp and without any burn in. I can't even imagine how good it will sound when i have those three things nailed. Detail is very good aswell, hearing things in music ive never heard before.
Of all the genres i've listened to with them, they seem to handle electronic music best. (trance and club music especially) Its a combination of the power and impact in bass and the accuracy and detail in the highs. In fact, anything with a beat these things really are superb. Listened to the The Crystal Method - Busy Child and i swear ive never heard this song sound so good! To be honest though, they havn't sounded bad with anything ive listened to - rock, metal, classical, ambient, acoustic. Listened to some tracks on Opeth - Damnation, and the accuracy and detail is extremeley good.

edit - forgot to say, yes the bass is a little muddy at times, but only on certain songs and certain sections. But, hopefully with burn in, this will clear up. Certainly not overpowering though. In my opinion, its a perfect balance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back